2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

I love when scouts say stuff that just directly contradicts the objective information we have. Calling Hakeem Butler slow, when he posted a 78th percentile 40 yard dash and even a 59th percentile 10-yard split amongst all WRs is just hilarious. Scouts can be so bad sometimes.

Just now, rcon14 said:

I love when scouts say stuff that just directly contradicts the objective information we have. Calling Hakeem Butler slow, when he posted a 78th percentile 40 yard dash and even a 59th percentile 10-yard split amongst all WRs is just hilarious. Scouts can be so bad sometimes.

Nepotism will get you here.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

It's your lack of thinking, not what you're thinking that's the problem.  The point that went over your head was that, when MVS is actually targeted and not ignored, we score points and our offense plays well.  I will bet you 10,000 dollars right now that in those 5 games you're talking about, MVS was open and ignored at least 3 times per game. 

I bet you most receivers in the game are open multiple times a game and don't receive the ball .. it's football.. happens all the time.  All I was saying was to hold off on calling the guy a star a bit longer until he finds more consistency.  In your bizzaro world MVS is a star, but Rodgers is a bad QB.  Crazy time!

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Well.....based on these rankings:

1.  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida   -   Round Grade: Mid 1st
2.  Deionte Thompson, Alabama   -   Round Grade: Early 2
3.  Nasir Adderley, Delaware   -   Round Grade: Early 2
4.  Juan Thornhill, Virginia   -   Round Grade: Mid 2
5.  Darnell Savage, Maryland   -   Round Grade: Mid 2
6. Amani Hooker, Iowa   -   Round Grade: Mid 2
7. Taylor Rapp, Washington   -   Round Grade: Late 2
8. Ugochukwu Amadi, Oregon   -   Round Grade: Late 2
9. Johnathan Abram, Mississippi State  -  Round Grade: Late 3
10. Mike Edwards, Kentucky  -  Round Grade: Mid 3

We'd have to burn a first (#30) on Adderley - or drop back a few picks to nab him - cause I dont think he'll last till 44.

44 is more the range for:

4.  Juan Thornhill, Virginia   -   Round Grade: Mid 2
5.  Darnell Savage, Maryland   -   Round Grade: Mid 2
6. Amani Hooker, Iowa   -   Round Grade: Mid 2

So - you willing to burn a first on Adderley - or a #2 on Savage, Hooker or Rapp - who would be gone by our third @75?   

I target three safeties.  I'd burn one of those extra 4's if it meant moving up in any round for CJG, Adderly or even Hooker.  Once those guys are off the board, then the list of guys that I've watched really goes down.  I haven't seen enough of Savage to really know what I'm talking about concerning him.  Of the three up there?  CJG plays at a very fast speed, like he recognizes things faster and reacts quicker.  Adderly, I think, has more natural ability in him.  And Hooker has a nice all around game, but he's a clear tier below the other two...but very safe in my eyes.  

Marvell Tell is a guy that I'm interested in later.  I have no idea where Rapp should or will go.  I liked his tape, he played deep a lot.  But he really pops near the LOS, which I think is where Amos is better.  So I do like CJG-Adderly-Hooker better.

Waiting for the draft is like waiting for Santa to come at Christmas time. You know what you need and what you'd like, but you don't know what he'll bring. Some of the packages are going to have that "ugly tie" and some will have a really cool gift we never thought about. And of course there's that rare gift that is just what we wanted.

@Arthur Penske can't bypass paywalls on the site. This isn't Reddit. You can edit them to a paragraph or a single prospect but not the whole thing.

I pay for the old crusty crab's draft column so if any of you want the quotes for a player let me know. 

Column isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be IMO, his scouting buddies have all gotten old and salty too. Doubt he's actively out there trying to build relationships with young blood.

36 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

get him at 30 or 44 then.:ph34r:

With something like this, or at least what Hurst had this is less a "value" thing and more of an "ethics" thing.  Like "are we going to be able to live with ourselves if this guy just drops dead on the field a la Hank Gathers?"  Unless your doctors can assure you that absolutely will not happen barring a freak accident, there are teams that are just going to pass on drafting you at any point.  Like a person's life is worth more than any amount of "draft value".

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I target three safeties.  I'd burn one of those extra 4's if it meant moving up in any round for CJG, Adderly or even Hooker.  Once those guys are off the board, then the list of guys that I've watched really goes down.  I haven't seen enough of Savage to really know what I'm talking about concerning him.  Of the three up there?  CJG plays at a very fast speed, like he recognizes things faster and reacts quicker.  Adderly, I think, has more natural ability in him.  And Hooker has a nice all around game, but he's a clear tier below the other two...but very safe in my eyes.  

Marvell Tell is a guy that I'm interested in later.  I have no idea where Rapp should or will go.  I liked his tape, he played deep a lot.  But he really pops near the LOS, which I think is where Amos is better.  So I do like CJG-Adderly-Hooker better.

Okay. Good post. I'm also focused on ADD/CGJ - but admit part of my narrow focus is I've not researched the breadth of the talent pool.
@ChaRisMa had good thoughts about Savage and feels he could handle single high FS if so tasked. Rapp is a good football player no doubt - but he has a more Box Safety feel to him IMO.  Agree with your breakdown ADD vs CGJ and I would also prefer ADD - but - I like that CGJ had a more challenging college career at UF (SEC) than Delaware (FCS). On film CGJ looks bigger (to me at least.....) but the spreadsheet says they're almost clones of each other. ADD looks faster - so the differences are subtle.

Just listened to Matt Waldman's RSP Cast and I'm going to be checking these players out tonight:

QB: Amir Hall, Jacob Dolegala, Taryn Christion, Grant Kraemer

RB: Xavier Turner, Ryan Fulse, Ra'Quanne Dickens

WR: Denzel Knight, Nehari Crawford, Joe Walker

TE: Charles Scharff, Isaiah Searight, Vincent Hobbs, Ari Wertz

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

Meh. There's been fast guys who look slow in pads. It's a thing. Football isn't played on what team has the best percentile players

Archived