Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

It doesn’t even have a title or a plot, but Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise are planning on doing a “Gnarly” hard R movie where Cruise goes against type.

That might be the movie I’m looking forward to seeing most after The Thing remake (that might or might not still be happening).

13 minutes ago, MacReady said:

It doesn’t even have a title or a plot, but Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise are planning on doing a “Gnarly” hard R movie where Cruise goes against type.

That might be the movie I’m looking forward to seeing most after The Thing remake (that might or might not still be happening).

https://www.joblo.com/tom-cruise-christopher-mcquarrie-gnarly-r-rated-movie/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MacReady said:

Thank you I was too lazy for that.

Haha no worries. I was just curious to read more about it then relayed what I found. You had capitalized the G in Gnarly so I thought it was based off something was my original reason!

"AI is going to get better". No, it's only going to get worse. It already is getting worse.

What happens when you develop an artificial intelligence that isn't capable of its own thought and only actually capable of deriving everything it spits out from already existing sources via 'a large database' (the internet)?

For 1, you're going to get even more actual human creators who aren't paid for the work that is taken by these AIs. You're already seeing artists and authors suing these tech companies for their AI stealing their work in answers provided to the AI's end users. The second thing that is going to happen, especially since this **** is popular, is you are going to get a lot of end users and you're going to get a lot of copycats who will also have a lot of end users. And that is exactly what is happening now. That doesn't seem like a problem, but it is when your answers, and your copycats' answers, fill the 'large database' you pull your entire knowledge base from. Information being spit out by these AI bots is getting more and more twisted and wrong with all the usage of AI bots. It's like running a common English phrase through 15 different Google translations then seeing what you get back in English.

I work with computers for a living. I've worked with big data, and I've dabbled in AI. This stuff is garbage. It isn't even really artificial intelligence; it's just the same smarterchild chatbot you hurled insults at on AIM 15 years ago with faster processing speed and a bigger database of information to pull from. Why people think it is ethical or smart to replace actual creatives with computers is absolutely beyond me. The ONLY perspective it makes sense from is financially, which is why these billionaires who own these streaming services and production companies want it to happen.

Trying to have computers make art, and trying to straight up replace creatives with computers, makes me so disgusted.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

What happens when...isn't capable of its own thought and only actually capable of deriving everything it spits out from already existing sources?

Sounds alot like Disney over the last decade.

For the record, I agree with most of what you said.   But most of the stuff Hollywood puts out these days is already recycled and/or unimaginative garbage.   Unless they start hiring based on skill and get back to focusing on actually entertaining audiences, I think the risk of AI taking jobs becomes greater. 

The occasional hits among a sea of flops isnt sustainable.

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

"AI is going to get better". No, it's only going to get worse. It already is getting worse.

What happens when you develop an artificial intelligence that isn't capable of its own thought and only actually capable of deriving everything it spits out from already existing sources via 'a large database' (the internet)?

For 1, you're going to get even more actual human creators who aren't paid for the work that is taken by these AIs. You're already seeing artists and authors suing these tech companies for their AI stealing their work in answers provided to the AI's end users. The second thing that is going to happen, especially since this **** is popular, is you are going to get a lot of end users and you're going to get a lot of copycats who will also have a lot of end users. And that is exactly what is happening now. That doesn't seem like a problem, but it is when your answers, and your copycats' answers, fill the 'large database' you pull your entire knowledge base from. Information being spit out by these AI bots is getting more and more twisted and wrong with all the usage of AI bots. It's like running a common English phrase through 15 different Google translations then seeing what you get back in English.

I work with computers for a living. I've worked with big data, and I've dabbled in AI. This stuff is garbage. It isn't even really artificial intelligence; it's just the same smarterchild chatbot you hurled insults at on AIM 15 years ago with faster processing speed and a bigger database of information to pull from. Why people think it is ethical or smart to replace actual creatives with computers is absolutely beyond me. The ONLY perspective it makes sense from is financially, which is why these billionaires who own these streaming services and production companies want it to happen.

Trying to have computers make art, and trying to straight up replace creatives with computers, makes me so disgusted.

Ive been seeing this AI push as a bargaining scare tactic. Like in ways you touched on. I dont think theyre capable or near ready to push that direction for a couple/few years at least. Theyre just now hiring many positions. Its going to take time. 

Bullying scare tactic. And its working. Cause neither the writers/actors have much a leg to stand on atm. A producer for Amazon was heard saying, "Let them strike until theyre homeless." Which Pearlman flipped out on and started threatening them. Showing these actors are rattled. How are they going to fight back?

14 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Sounds like a golden opportunity for a smaller independent studio to ****** up talent and make a big move.  For those saying the likes of Disney, Warner Bros, or Paramount cannot fall, Woolworths was once one of the largest chain stores in the world and even hung around in part until the 1990's.  I'm curious why those striking wouldn't try pooling their resources and launch their own competition.  It's not like they lack capital and/or couldn't secure financing.

28 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Sounds like a golden opportunity for a smaller independent studio to ****** up talent and make a big move.  For those saying the likes of Disney, Warner Bros, or Paramount cannot fall, Woolworths was once one of the largest chain stores in the world and even hung around in part until the 1990's.  I'm curious why those striking wouldn't try pooling their resources and launch their own competition.  It's not like they lack capital and/or couldn't secure financing.

Already seeing indy comics start outselling mainstream. Rippaverse first issue had like 2m in sales, while what were the biggest sellers such as Spiderman brought 400k that month. Both DC and Marvel are having trouble even keeping storylines going due to sales. Stopping runs after 2-3 issues. Entire stories vanishing GRRM style midway, never to be finished. Complete disaster, and this is the material they pull from for the movies.

Edited by PARROTHEAD