What’s the worst you’ve ever seen a single player hold back a team?

patriotsheatyan

Off of the top of my head, with recency bias being what it is, I would say Jake Delhomme in 2008 and 2009. In 2008 the Panthers went into the playoffs, despite Delhomme's lackluster season, as heavy favorites against the Cards. And Delhomme absolutely imploded.

Anyone remember this guy?

0DzQ1.gif

Then he followed up that meltdown with a season long meltdown where he had like a 60 rating and in 11 games threw 8 TDs and 18 picks. 

Those Panther teams were GOOD teams. I mean REALLY GOOD. And, unfortunately, the wheels completely fell off of Jake. 

Of course a large portion of the blame goes to Fox and JR. Who both probably would have let Jake throw another 30 interceptions before benching him just out of misguided loyalty if they could have.

3 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

Off of the top of my head, with recency bias being what it is, I would say Jake Delhomme in 2008 and 2009. In 2008 the Panthers went into the playoffs, despite Delhomme's lackluster season, as heavy favorites against the Cards. And Delhomme absolutely imploded.

Anyone remember this guy?

0DzQ1.gif

Then he followed up that meltdown with a season long meltdown where he had like a 60 rating and in 11 games threw 8 TDs and 18 picks. 

Those Panther teams were GOOD teams. I mean REALLY GOOD. And, unfortunately, the wheels completely fell off of Jake. 

Of course a large portion of the blame goes to Fox and JR. Who both probably would have let Jake throw another 30 interceptions before benching him just out of misguided loyalty if they could have.

Yeah, this is true.

Imagine if they had Cam on the 2008 team? 

On 10/2/2018 at 9:31 PM, iknowcool said:

Love Delhomme for what he did for us early in his career but he single-handedly stopped that team from being a #2 or #3 seed (Saints weren’t being surpassed).  

Wouldn't that make you the 5th seed at best?

I would say Derek Anderson on the 2007 Browns. We went 10-6 but he cost us several games including a loss to a 4-12 Raiders team and the lions in week 2. He was josh Allen minus the athleticism. Would throw a swing pass at 150 mph. UGH

Trent Dilfer and Shaun King stopped us from winning another Super Bowl or two. Our defenses were almost all time great from 98-02. We just needed a guy that could lead an offense to 21 points or more. 

Luckily Brad Johnson stepped up in 02 before our window closed. But those defenses would've been more highly regarded if we'd have had an offense remotely capable of scoring at all.

And that would help legitimize the franchise more as a whole.  I think the Bucs have the lowest win percentage of all time.

10 hours ago, pnies20 said:

I would say Derek Anderson on the 2007 Browns. We went 10-6 but he cost us several games including a loss to a 4-12 Raiders team and the lions in week 2. He was josh Allen minus the athleticism. Would throw a swing pass at 150 mph. UGH

“At least it wasn’t 5”

I'll play contrarian.

Eric Guicheck - Center for the Bengals who got Carson hurt the 2nd time.  I wrote a long post on the previous board about the Bengals still had talent and a chance post Carson's knee injury but Guicheck bringing down the entire OL and subsequently the entire offense put that to rest.  Might have been the worse starting center I've seen in the NFL play 16 games except maybe Sean Mahan...

16 hours ago, game3525 said:

Yeah, this is true.

Imagine if they had Cam on the 2008 team? 

I can't imagine what kind of damage Cam could have done with that team around him. But opposing defenses might have been fighting to stop a team with three 1k yard rushers. All at like 5ypc. xD

Considering Rex only led the offense to scoring 10 points all game long. He's definitely to blame. That's not to say the run defense WASN'T also to blame, but Rex was consistently bad when the rest of his team was pretty damn good. 

Grossman is easily the best example of a player holding a team back in the last 2 decades.

On 10/3/2018 at 1:55 AM, evilflamingo said:

Kyle Williams in the 2011 NFC Championship game. His two ST fumbles set the Giants up for 10 of their total 20 points scored, including the game-winning FG in OT. 

Of course it didn't help that the offense converted just 1/13 third downs or that it took 54 minutes before Alex Smith completed his first pass to a WR, or that the refs robbed Bowman of a key forced fumble. But with any competent returner the 49ers win that game. That defense, despite not being able to cover Victor Cruz, was nasty. 

Can you imagine how different the world looks if this doesn't happen? If Smith goes to the SB with that team, then he probably doesn't lose his job the next year, and the Kaepernick kneeling thing (probably) never happens.

It also means that the Chiefs would've probably kept Cassel 1 more year and maybe ended up with Blake Bortles. Yuck.

Archived