Drew Brees - new all time passing yardage leader

Mid Iowa

3 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

With the way passing is now in the NFL this record will be broken within 5 years of Brees retiring.

can see his record lasting for a minute. I'm not sure if guys like Ryan and Stafford will be producing at a high level late into their 30's to match brees . I think quarterbacks will need to reach above 80K to break the record

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

How do you measure it then?

It is so hard to measure it that some people thought Leaf would be better than Manning.

You should watch the Brady 6 video that NFL Films made just for the section on Giovanni Carmazzi.

Mariucci talks about how Carmazzi got hit early n preseason and he decided he did not like getting hit and he never really got confidence in the pocket.

Career Over.

1 hour ago, Asciimo said:

pretty easily. put a QB in a stressful situation and see how he performs most often. game winning drives & playoff games.

Playoff games- Drew Brees has over a 100 QB rating, a 5.4% touchdown percentage on his passes, just a 1.4% interception percentage, 7.8 yards per attempt, 323 passing yards per game, 11.9 yards gained per pass completion, 3.9% sacks taken on dropbacks, a 65.9% completion percentage.

What do all of these numbers have in common? They are all better than Tom Brady's playoff rates for the same statistics. I'm not even trying to argue Brees over Brady, but this is just absurd that there is this notion that Brees is at fault for his team not winning. He has had so many incredible performances go to waste because of historically bad defenses (Not an overstatement, literally some of the worst defenses in NFL history statistically).

Hell lets take last years loss to the Vikings, Drew Brees led his team to what should have been a game winning drive with less than 30 seconds to go, only to have his defense give up a touchdown to lose the game, is that on Drew Brees and his "lack of intangibles" for the Saints defensive collapse?

Or do we take the 2011 Playoff game vs. the 49ers where Drew Brees throws for 462 yards, 4 touchdowns, and leads his team to what should have been another game winning drive with less than 1:30 seconds left in the game, only to have his defense blow the lead yet again. 

These types of playoff drives only to lose the game are really just a microcosm of what Brees has had to deal with throughout nearly his entire career with defenses consistently letting him down after he puts up heroic performances. 

I'm sure the only part of this post that is going to be responded to, is where I stated that Brees has put up better statistical rates than Tom Brady in the playoffs in several key statistics (But still stated I don't think Brees is a better QB, but since this thread has devolved into a insecure Tom Brady nut hugging competition from others, I figured I may as well add that little nugget of information)  

Can't really trust anyone that calls Drew Brees a stat padder. He's literally had the worst long term defense in the history of the NFL. Like they have been consistently historically bad. Not just ending the season with one of the worst defenses, but ending multiple seasons with some of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL.

5 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Also, if it's purely about accuracy, Brady isn't even in the same universe as Brees.

I'll never forget Brees demolishing everyone else in the QB accuracy contest at the 05 Pro Bowl. Up until that point, I didn't fully appreciate him turning it around in San Diego.

It's really tempting to say that if they switched places team-wise, Brees would have had similar playoff success to what Brady has done.

Its never purely about accuracy. You don't throw into trash cans in an NFL game.

Brady has been down by 10+ in at least 3 Super Bowls and has come back to take the lead (winning twice)

To say another guy would just do that is pointless.

Brady has the statistics of a Marino, Manning, or Brees and the clutch playoff play of Aikman x2 or Montana +

Brady has 5 Super Bowl wins and his 2 best pass catchers (Gronk and Moss) played in exactly one of those five wins.

Brady has more game winning drives in Super Bowls (4 in 8) than Brees has in the playoffs(3 in 13).

People pretending Brady is not the GoaT is goofy and others will always make fun of the Swiss cheese arguments.

Drew Brees does not live here. We are not actually trashing his big day by discussing football on a message board.

18 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I'm sure the only part of this post that is going to be responded to, is where I stated that Brees has put up better statistical rates than Tom Brady in the playoffs in several key statistics (But still stated I don't think Brees is a better QB, but since this thread has devolved into a insecure Tom Brady nut hugging competition from others, I figured I may as well add that little nugget of information)  

Brady gave his team the lead late in the 4th quarter of every Super Bowl he has lost.

UNFAIR that he doesn't have 8 rings!

Foles is the greatest playoff stats QB and I don't see anyone calling him the GoaT.

He did lose to Brees after giving his team the lead late in 2013 only to have Brees hand the ball off a bunch on a 35 yard FG drive.

UNFAIR!

Insecure is pretending Brees is the GoaT when you could just enjoy him being top 5/10 (I lean towards top 5)

42 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I don't get why people are undermining being the leader in all-time passing yards. If everyone else could throw for 5000 yards a season wouldn't they being doing it? Is passing really so easy in the NFL that being able to gain more yards and score more points just totally unimpressive? I don't get it.

Absolutely this. If passing is so easy right now, how come not a single other QB has come close to two 5000 yard seasons? Let alone why aren't more Qbs throwing for a single 5000 yard season? Yes, the rules have made it a bit easier for QBs as of late, but to act like throwing for a ton of yards like that is easy means you don't watch football. You have to be insanely efficient (look at Brees's attempts and completion percentage), a shoddy run game for a number of years, AND consistently have a porous defense to come close to these kinds of numbers :D

10 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Insecure is pretending Brees is the GoaT when you could just enjoy him being top 5/10 (I lean towards top 5)

I do for the most part agree with this sentiment. As long as Tom Brady exists, I will not call Brees the GOAT. BUT....while I easily consider Brees a Top 5 QB, I can find a number of arguments to claim him as #2 all time. I will continue to give my list as:

#1 Brady
#2-5 (in no order) Manning, Brees, Montana, and Favre

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Brady gave his team the lead late in the 4th quarter of every Super Bowl he has lost.

UNFAIR that he doesn't have 8 rings!

Foles is the greatest playoff stats QB and I don't see anyone calling him the GoaT.

He did lose to Brees after giving his team the lead late in 2013 only to have Brees hand the ball off a bunch on a 35 yard FG drive.

UNFAIR!

When did I say Brees was the goat? I've consistently stated Brees is a top 5 QB on here for years. I just found the Tom Brady nut hugging to be a bit over the top in a Drew Brees milestone thread in which Brady was initially brought up in jest by a poster on the 1st page, and a swarm of Brady fans came out to defend him over what was very likely a sarcastic post. 

I don't want to get in another Brees argument.  I've had these arguments for years.

Ill just say it here:  Brady is the GOAT.

There was a time when Brees was underrated, but I think most people rate him fairly now.  I put him firmly top ten, fringe top 5.  I think it's a really hard argument to make to keep him out of the top ten.  

Brees and the Saints march to their own drumbeat. 

Draft baller WR Brandin Cooks, then let him go. Currently highly paid by the Rams.

Draft baller WR Kenny Stills, then let him go. Currently highly paid by the Dolphins.

Draft baller TE Jimmy Graham, the let him go. Currently highly paid by the Packers.

Brees and Brady are so alike, they rack up huge numbers with a merry go round of receivers.

"Hey you, receiver guy that won't be here too long, run a good pattern and I'll throw you the ball."

Archived