Report: Giants players are getting frustrated with Eli Manning's performance

DigInBoys

6 hours ago, lancerman said:

Get a bucket

If Jim Plunkett ain't in the Hall, neither should Eli be.  

I always use the "Top 5" argument when I evaluate any player for the HOF.  Was he a top-5 player at his position at any point in his career?  I think if you clearly evaluate Eli's career, I think you safely can say "No".  Even in his SB-winning years, he wasn't anywhere near a top-5 QB...in fact, he was primarily the reason why they barely even made the playoffs in those 2 years. 

He has more INTs than any active QB and 50 and 60 more INTs than his fellow '04 draftees Roethlisberger and Rivers.  He threw as many INTs in his 2007 SB-winning season as Aaron Rodgers did in his first 2 full years starting...and there are 19 active QBs that have a lower career interception % than he does, including Sam Bradford, Kirk Cousins, and Ryan Tannehill.  That's not a HOF QB resume.         

Have yall seen Joe Namath's stats? Sometimes it's more than about pure stats. Eli helped defeat what some folks might call a decent team in the undefeated Patriots during the Super Bowl, and had iconic moments during that. If you think that doesn't carry weight you are fooling yourself.

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Have yall seen Joe Namath's stats? Sometimes it's more than about pure stats. Eli helped defeat what some folks might call a decent team in the undefeated Patriots during the Super Bowl, and had iconic moments during that. If you think that doesn't carry weight you are fooling yourself.

And yet, David Tyree, who mattered just as much if not more to that win than Eli Manning, and whose catch was the singlemost iconic play of the game, was dropped by the team the following season and out of the league the year after.

Something something team sport something something.

Tyree doesn't belong in the HOF. Most of the players who were on that Giants team and thus "helped defeat the 16-0 Patriots" are not HOFers. On Eli Manning, I honestly don't know. Maybe, but I'd err on the side of no. Because outside of those two Super Bowls, he doesn't have much going for him at all.

I don't think Namath is a HOF worthy player, either, really. But I do think he has a better bid than Manning.

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

Joe Namath played in like 1852.  The stats will never compare.  Hell even Josh Allen's stats probably look good for Namath's era.

Yes, he had some iconic moments, and it does carry weight.  That's why we're talking about it.  The iconic moments should be backed by a great resume formed by every "normal" game played throughout a guy's career.  Eli doesn't have that.  He has iconic stats, some really good years, also a bunch of stinkers.  In the era of the QB, that's embarrassing for a HOF resume.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Joe Namath played in like 1852.  The stats will never compare.  Hell even Josh Allen's stats probably look good for Namath's era.

Yes, he had some iconic moments, and it does carry weight.  That's why we're talking about it.  The iconic moments should be backed by a great resume formed by every "normal" game played throughout a guy's career.  Eli doesn't have that.  He has iconic stats, some really good years, also a bunch of stinkers.  In the era of the QB, that's embarrassing for a HOF resume.

Agree completely.  While the SBs certainly will carry weight, they can't overshadow the fact that he's barely been a middle of the road QB his entire career.  

23 minutes ago, theJ said:

So you're saying Josh Allen needs to invest in a fur coat to wear on the sidelines and he's got a green light for the Hall, eh?

37 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Namath was largely viewed as a top 5 of his era and was a league MVP once. 

5 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

And Eli Manning is a 2 time Super Bowl MVP.

I'll eat my own shoe if he doesn't end up in the HoF.

That’s not the argument. Everyone thinks he will it’s just most of just don’t think he deserves it. 

You wanted to compare him to Namath. Namath was an MVP and at point the best QB in the league. He was one of the two greatest AFL QB’s and he was a top 5 for most of his era. Eli was never a top 5, except for maybe 2011 and that’s being generous and if he was he was 5

35 minutes ago, lancerman said:

That’s not the argument. Everyone thinks he will it’s just most of just don’t think he deserves it. 

You wanted to compare him to Namath. Namath was an MVP and at point the best QB in the league. He was one of the two greatest AFL QB’s and he was a top 5 for most of his era. Eli was never a top 5, except for maybe 2011 and that’s being generous and if he was he was 5

Eli also has twice as many rings as Namath. Checkmate.

32 minutes ago, lancerman said:

He was consensus top-5 on this forum in 2011.

http://footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=480562

9 hours ago, Malik said:

I think he'd still find work as a starter but I agree that he's pretty much interchangeable with pretty much any long term starter in like the last 20 years of the NFL. What's the difference between Eli and Bledsoe? If there is a gap is it even that wide? He fell into better circumstances than pretty much every QB of his era of similar talent. Obviously that doesn't take away from his great Super Bowl runs, but 8 games shouldn't put you into any sports Hall of Fame. 

Not true at all. Yes he went to one of the best organisations in the league. People forget that Eli ran and offense that took some years for him to flourish in. That Kilbride offense was one of the least QB friendly offenses of his era.

Archived