Stock Investing

rickyt31

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

World?  It can't just be America, and this isn't the only stock market.

But yes, this is a problem.  It doesn't reflect the reality of the depth of issues right now with production of stuff.  I'm still holding cash, and will continue to do so for a while yet.

Much of it is American driven, since so much of the S&P 500 is being driven by the Apples/Amazons/Microsofts of the world.

And stuff like this makes me wonder what the point of an emergency fund or even bonds are. If every time the S&P 500 goes down 15%, the fed is going to slash interest rates full boar to correct, who cares? Throw it all in. It's a lottery ticket with a money back guarantee.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, theJ said:

World?  It can't just be America, and this isn't the only stock market.

But yes, this is a problem.  It doesn't reflect the reality of the depth of issues right now with production of stuff.  I'm still holding cash, and will continue to do so for a while yet.

Rest of the world other than the CSI have all taken hits but nothing close to what you would expect from global pandemic, second from right column is YTD%:
uxDhclj.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

How it’s still higher than other actually EV company’s is shocking

Are you talking about NIO?? Because if so, NKLA is actually half as big 

Share price means nothing, it's about market cap. Market cap for nio is 25.6B, nkla is 12.5B 

Think of it like the tsla split. The company was worth the same but now had 5x the amount of shares. Nkla has less shares so that means the price per share is higher, even if the company is valued less by half 

This is extremely extremely basic knowledge of how the markets work, I'm talking like pre 101 level stuff, so if you dont know that, you should not be doing any "trading" because the rest of it will be above your head 

21 hours ago, Counselor said:

Tell me where when and how to invest my money please so I can not be broke thank you

My unprofessional advice is to set up a Fidelity/vanguard trading account and either hire a professional to pick your mutual funds, or pick some yourself. Don't bother with individual stocks if you don't know how markets work

Is this money for retirement? My unprofessional advice is to put money into a Roth right now and let it grow. Focus on that first and then try and grow other (taxable) money later. Investing 5k in a retirement account now, is worth multiples of that being invested when you are in your 50s. That is the the absolute best thing your could do in my opinion. 

You will never ever ever regret funding a retirement account. If that is the route you go, look for a mutual fund with a target retirement date. So if you plan on retiring in 30 years, pick a mutual fund with a target date of 2050. For example fffhx or something of the like. They grow it faster now and as you get older and closer to retirement they get more conservative. This is probably the best way for anyone who doesn't know what they are doing 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Are you talking about NIO?? Because if so, NKLA is actually half as big 

Share price means nothing, it's about market cap. Market cap for nio is 25.6B, nkla is 12.5B 

Think of it like the tsla split. The company was worth the same but now had 5x the amount of shares. Nkla has less shares so that means the price per share is higher, even if the company is valued less by half 

This is extremely extremely basic knowledge of how the markets work, I'm talking like pre 101 level stuff, so if you dont know that, you should not be doing any "trading" because the rest of it will be above your head 

My unprofessional advice is to set up a Fidelity/vanguard trading account and either hire a professional to pick your mutual funds, or pick some yourself. Don't bother with individual stocks if you don't know how markets work

Is this money for retirement? My unprofessional advice is to put money into a Roth right now and let it grow. Focus on that first and then try and grow other (taxable) money later. Investing 5k in a retirement account now, is worth multiples of that being invested when you are in your 50s. That is the the absolute best thing your could do in my opinion. 

You will never ever ever regret funding a retirement account. If that is the route you go, look for a mutual fund with a target retirement date. So if you plan on retiring in 30 years, pick a mutual fund with a target date of 2050. For example fffhx or something of the like. They grow it faster now and as you get older and closer to retirement they get more conservative. This is probably the best way for anyone who doesn't know what they are doing 

I know how it all works lol, I read up a lot on stocks and market caps, what it all means.

1 minute ago, Fresh Prince said:

I know how it all works lol, I read up a lot on stocks and market caps, what it all means.

Well based on your previous comment, that would appear inaccurate 

Not here to call you out, just saying 

Nkla should not be worth 1 billion dollars, let alone 12 billion 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Well based on your previous comment, that would appear inaccurate 

Not here to call you out, just saying 

Nkla should not be worth 1 billion dollars, let alone 12 billion 

I agree with them just having concepts at the moment with no sales or anything. Surprised people haven’t sold their shares in it yet. Seems like a scam stock. A lot better options out there.

Edited by Fresh Prince