Carson Wentz its over rated

Vladimir L

Aaron Rogers has carried his team and Drew Brees.

Dinking and dunking anyone can have a high completion percentage.

He isnt on Drew Brees, Malhomes or Aaron Rogers level.

He is more Kirk Cousins this year. Not saying he is bad or garbage but he also isnt an elite QB this year. He is Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins tier.

29 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Aaron Rogers has carried his team and Drew Brees.

Aaron Rodgers has never carried Drew Brees and how dare you suggest otherwise. ;)

Dinking and dunking anyone can have a high completion percentage.

He isnt on Drew Brees, Malhomes or Aaron Rogers level.

Aaron and Drew are two HOF QBs with over 400 games between the two of them. This isn't exactly a comparison that ruins Wentz.

Who is arguing he's playing better than Mahomes? If someone said that, I missed it. He is however, throwing picks less often than Mahomes, so it's not all bad?

Not saying he is bad or garbage but he also isnt an elite QB this year.

I mean... you did imply he wasn't good.

8 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Last year was last year. Good QBs will their team to score 30 points per game and win.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Hasn't he looked good this year but the Eagles D has let them down?

He’s looked good, but not really like what he did last year. The offensive line and running game is much worse, so it’s expected. 

The defense has let them down, but blowing leads and not closing out games is not solely on the D.

5 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

As a Wentz fantasy owner...meh. He was the best QB in fantasy last year. This year I’ve started a host of middling QBs over him. He’s put up better stats recently though. 

Watson was the best fantasy qb until he got hurt. Wentz was consistently putting up 35ish points (my league scores 6 for passing td's). Watson was averaging like 42.

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Watson was the best fantasy qb until he got hurt. Wentz was consistently putting up 35ish points (my league scores 6 for passing td's). Watson was averaging like 42.

Well yeah...but it for less than half the season and very well could have been due to sample size. Wentz destroyed him in total points. 

He's still fantastic, as aforementioned, just leaving plays on the field on 3rd down that last year he was making with ease.

Watching the Condensed Panthers - Eagles game from Sunday, this play stood out at the end. Could have hit the RB, got the first, got out of bounds, and lived to fight another 4 downs. (We'll ignore the fact that Eric Reid made a helluva play that the refs got wrong).  However that happens, I'm sure you could highlight plays for all QB's (including the Elites) like this. He's going to be the face of the league at the QB position along with Wilson and Goff, Mahomes too (I just want to see him do it again next year).

He'll get back into full swing later in the year, I still think the Eagles make the playoffs as the 5th/6th seed, and no one will want to face them, similar calibre to the Falcons last year were your not shocked if they pull an upset in the Wildcard Round.

xIPoIu7.jpg

This can't be a serious take.

Let's examine the situation closely:

1.  Wentz  isn't even 12 months removed from ACL .    ACL recovery takes 18 months to be back at peak athleticism.  While players often play at 10-12 months now, there is no way he's even close to the same agility / elusiveness wise.

2.  If he's not the same elusiveness-wise, he's also not the same on the move, on the run, moving around.  I think it's why we've seen his accuracy be off from last year.

3.  If he isn't the same elusiveness wise, guess what?  Teams can gameplan a LOT differently.   

4.  Finally, he's basically rounding into full season form practice-rep wise.   Throwing on the side is nothing like full-contract, full-rep practice and game time.

Now, if ppl want to say he was overvalued for 2018 alone - ABSOLUTELY.   FWIW, they should be saying the same thing for JimmyG next year, when he has to do the same thing as Wentz is now doing.   But long-term, Wentz will be fine.   From a fantasy perspective, Wentz was a stay-away this year, because of they misplaced belief he'd be fine at 100 percent for 2018.  But he'll be an amazing post-hype, bounce back value in 2019.   

And in real-life...he'll be totally fine, just won't be the same Wentz until next year.  It's a big reason why PHI kept Foles this year, because the likelihood he wouldn't be ready to go Week 1, and the need for Foles with a less mobile Wentz, is sky-high.  But let's not go overboard.  Dude is a franchise QB, and who was an elite QB pre-injury.  It takes 18 months to get it ALL back - so guess what?  Don't expect the elite QB until 2019...but PHI fans can feel comfortable knowing that he's still in there, just more next year than this year.

Archived