Carson Wentz its over rated

Vladimir L

Wentz isnt overrated. I think this society is wacko. People labeled Goff a bust after just 7 starts in his rookie season. People labeled Watson as a great QB in his 4 starts of his rookie season. People labeled Dak as a great QB in his rookie season. People are labeling Mahomes as a great QB in what 8 starts of his career. Its called ups and downs. Wentz isnt overrated. Its just people labeled him one thing quickly and now quickly labeling him another.

The first 3 seasons, how did Brees look? He didnt look so good. It was so bad the Chargers traded for Rivers because they didnt think Brees would work out. Brees went to New Orleans and now is a HOF'er and breaking records. Even then, how many times have the Brees led Saints, finished below .500 in recent memory? What is Brees road record in the playoffs? Like the great Brees even have his struggles. I pointed out in one thread how he is 3-4 against the Rams since coming to New Orleans. 3 of the 4 losses came when the Rams was TRAGIC. Like you dont lose to a bad Rams team if you are a great QB. I know its "Any Given Sunday", but you dont lose to the same bad team 3 times in 6 meetings prior to obviously the Rams finally being good last season. 

So again Wentz isnt overrated. I predicted the Eagles would have a slow start. Thats what they are doing. Wentz is coming back from an injury just like Watson is and Luck is. None of those QBs are looking like their greatness that people labeled them as right now. ARod is battling through an injury right now and he has been up and down with his injury. Like Wentz will be fine but if people thought Wentz would step right in and pick right where he left off before his injury, you all are getting a rude awakening. It takes time but Wentz will get things going again. Maybe not to the level of last season because it was a special season for him, but he is far from being overrated. The Eagles as a team has alot wrong with it right now but Wentz isnt really one of it.

Depends on your current view of Wentz.  The elite QB tier for me is Brady, Brees, and Rodgers.  Then there's the really good, can be elite at times tier, with guys like Big Ben, Wilson, and Rivers. And the next big thing tier with Wentz, Watson, Mahomes, etc...( Potentially Luck and Goff as well). 

If someone is saying Wentz is an elite QB on the same tier as Brady, then yes he's over rated...

4 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Not sure why he is a darling. Last year was last year. Good QBs will their team to score 30 points per game and win.

Vlad you really need to come back in here and explain yourself. You statement makes zero sense and all you have done is destroy any credibility you may have by spouting nonsense. Care to provide any actual facts to help support your very "interesting" opinion? Or are we going to stick with "last year was last year" and Wentz should not be a darling since he lacks "QB telekinesis and mind/body control" super powers?

Nah, Wentz is fine. He's playing good football, and I think that's where he's rated. No one is arguing he's elite right now. Which is appropriate. He's a top 10 QB, just not an elite one yet. I do think he's part of Philly's close game struggles, and that's why he's not elite despite his numbers being close to it. His YPA tanks in the 4th quarter and his completion percentage is garbage on 3rd down, so he isn't performing as well at some of the most crucial moments. He's had some really poorly timed sacks and fumbles, too (the sacks can be split between him and OL, but the fumbles are him.) But a lot of it is really that the Eagles as a whole have just come back down to earth. The OL performance isn't nearly what it was last year. The running game is meh. Doug Pederson was coaching just out of his mind well last year, and it hasn't quite been as great this year. The defense has similarly stepped down in crunch time.

4 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

"Good QBs will their team to score 30 PPG" is just a ridiculous statement. First, lower the bar a bit, let's say ~24 points, just a hint above league average over the past several years. Then swap out "good" for "elite." The elite QBs, Rodgers, Brady and Brees, over this time frame you can absolutely argue "will" their offense to at least being solid regardless of circumstance in most games, but nobody is calling Wentz a QB of that caliber, not yet anyway. I would agree, if he truly was elite, the Eagles would have more points since his return.

24 pts/game is the exact average this season. Fairly significant jump YoY, I wonder if it will hold. So anyway, I'd say the bar should be around 27ppg this season. That's top 10.

I don't think there should be much of a debate that Wentz doesn't look quite as good as he did late last season. For example, FO has him at 15th in DVOA thus far this year compared to 6th last year (yeah, I know, sample size, etc.) But him not looking as good should be expected! He just came off major knee surgery late last season and is still working himself into game form. Given all that, he looks pretty good if you ask me.

True, last year is last year. But this season requires context. He's coming off a major injury. Their running game isn't nearly as strong as it was and Ajayi is out. Just as there was some ridiculously premature talk preseason that the Eagles could be the next dynasty, this is some ridiculously premature talk from the OP about Wentz's performance. Whatever.

I think that with what Carson has shown us last year, his rookie year (was up and down at times but was a solid one still) and then so far this year....I think it's incredibly safe to think Wentz is going to be an elite , top 5 , maybe even best at some point in the league. He's not there yet. So if that's what u meant by overrated, OP, then yeah sure man.

Also, I saw this thread title and IMMEDIATELY was almost kind of excited to see my Eagles FF homies just destroying people like savages. But alas, nothing of that sort. 

Just seems to be objective with very intelligent, reasonable, and  constructive posts by all kinds of different posters.

*Slow clap*

I'm so proud of you all

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Posting here to remind you there is a Mod present, and I am NOT in the mood today.

Behave.

ET you should ban Vlad for a month for creating such a thread. ??

"Stupid is as stupid does". Just saying Forrest was right.

As for the topic at hand , You've clearly not watched him nor the Eagles play more then a highlight or two. Please stop looking at box scores when evaluating. Thanks.

1 hour ago, navysaintsfan said:

Vlad you really need to come back in here and explain yourself. You statement makes zero sense and all you have done is destroy any credibility you may have by spouting nonsense. Care to provide any actual facts to help support your very "interesting" opinion? Or are we going to stick with "last year was last year" and Wentz should not be a darling since he lacks "QB telekinesis and mind/body control" super powers?

It's his classic Troll attempt for anything Eagles. I wouldn't expect much. Just saying. 

Archived