Good to Know Hue (Jackson Fired); Gregg Williams named Interim HC

The Gnat

30 minutes ago, theJ said:

The climate has shifted, but there were some that were hoping Hue would have been fired a few years ago and replace Marvin as HC.

The winds are definitely blowing a different direction now.

I don't see him hiring back with the Bengals again.  They can't offer him an OC gig right now, but another team will.  

The dude is full of charm, he’ll get another job for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

They just fired their best coach since their rebirth. 

Idk if he was or not but the truth is that they aren’t automatically better for getting rid of him. The problems existed well before him. There’s no reason to believe the next HC will be anything less than mediocre. Maybe he won’t be 1-31 bad because they aren’t talent starved now,  but leadership is from the top down and the top guy is trash

I just want to really put this in perspective so that everyone who thinks Hue was the problem can get a clue. 

-Since they came back in 1999 the Browns have had 2 winning seasons. One was a 9-7. 

-Since they came back in 1999 the Browns have come in last in the division a total of 15 times and are on pace for a 16th 

-Since they came back in 1999 the Browns have never won the division. 

-Since coming back in 1999 the Browns have qualified for the playoffs once and lost their only  playoff game 

Hue has only been the coach for 2 and a half years. 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

I just want to really put this in perspective so that everyone who thinks Hue was the problem can get a clue. 

-Since they came back in 1999 the Browns have had 2 winning seasons. One was a 9-7. 

-Since they came back in 1999 the Browns have come in last in the division a total of 15 times and are on pace for a 16th 

-Since they came back in 1999 the Browns have never won the division. 

-Since coming back in 1999 the Browns have qualified for the playoffs once and lost their only  playoff game 

Hue has only been the coach for 2 and a half years. 

I don't think anyone thinks Hue is "the problem". Merely that he is "a problem". Which most people already knew prior to the Browns hiring him.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Have to imagine that if you're DeFilippo you've got the choice of a half a dozen head coaching gigs, you're probably not taking the Browns HC gig.

Why not? They have a top defense that is young. And they have a potential FQB. Plus they’ll have a top 10 or so pick in the draft. As long as he believes Baker is a good QB, I don’t think he’ll write them off.

What potential job openings do you think would be more attractive?

Not sure which coaches are on the hot seat but I’m thinking these teams will have HC openings: CLE, NYJ, Jax (maybe), Den, Dal (maybe), TB (maybe).

26 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Gregg Williams' me-maw is currently the favorite to be named special teams coach. (I don't know what a me-maw is but I'd bet Greggy has one.)

It's been said that Gregg will retain DC duties.

Just now, SDotNova said:

Why not? They have a top defense that is young. And they have a potential FQB. Plus they’ll have a top 10 or so pick in the draft. As long as he believes Baker is a good QB, I don’t think he’ll write them off.

Not sure which coaches are on the hot seat but I’m thinking these teams will have HC openings: CLE, NYJ, Jax (maybe), Den, Dal (maybe), TB (maybe).

Yeah, the only reason why we'd be considered not to be a top choice is because of Jimmy Haslem, which would be a fair point.

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

I'm not saying he's going to write him off, but with how shaky that franchise has been with regards to management and the coaching staff, it's not a position I'd feel comfortable saying that I'm going to get a fair shake at the position.  If they go 2-14 in DeFilippo's first year as HC, there's no guarantee he'll be back.  And given the past, you'd think it's more likely he'd be fired than retained.  The Browns' D might be young, but that doesn't mean it's good.  Right now, it's 24th in opponents PPG.  You've got a few good/great pieces with Myles Garrett, Jabril Peppers, Denzel Ward, and Emmanuel Ogbah.  But they're still a bit away from being a great defense.  At the end of the day, it probably comes down to how DeFilippo thinks about Baker Mayfield.  If he thinks that Baker is a QB he can work with, this job becomes a bit more attractive.  If he would have preferred someone like Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold, that probably closes the deal for him.

LIS, it depends on who he wants to work with.  You'd have to imagine that he's going to have his choice of options.  IF Green Bay moves on from Mike McCarthy, you'd have to figure that is something that's going to happen.  The opportunity to work with Aaron Rodgers isn't something that comes around very often.  I don't see the Jets moving on from Bowles this offseason (although it's possible).  Dallas probably seems a bit more appealing given the whole situation in place.

Archived