Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Married folks: is it normal to fight way more than usual in the lead up to the wedding?  Because that's what's happening to me, and I'm hoping that it passes soon.

big, fancy wedding? more like an expensive performance than something personal?

yeah, that makes for stress. stress makes for fighting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Married folks: is it normal to fight way more than usual in the lead up to the wedding?  Because that's what's happening to me, and I'm hoping that it passes soon.

I assume it's a more expensive wedding? That's always a complication. Never married but planned 3 weddings for family. 

Doesn't matter the reasons, couples always fight before a wedding. Whether its stress, anxiety or just venting it will pass. 

We talking mini-fights or shouting matches? 

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

big, fancy wedding? more like an expensive performance than something personal?

yeah, that makes for stress. stress makes for fighting.

6 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

I assume it's a more expensive wedding? That's always a complication. Never married but planned 3 weddings for family. 

Doesn't matter the reasons, couples always fight before a wedding. Whether its stress, anxiety or just venting it will pass. 

We talking mini-fights or shouting matches? 

For a wedding it's not expensive or big, but the guest list is big enough, I guess.  And no, not exactly shouting matches, but they do seem to be getting worse.

Doesn't help we're also trying to buy a house.

sounds like the cause is just the stress of a lot of life changing events going on at once. however, you two aren't dealing with it well by venting at each other.

i suggest taking a little trip together and telling yourselves you WON'T be discussing the wedding or the new house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

sounds like the cause is just the stress of a lot of life changing events going on at once. however, you two aren't dealing with it well by venting at each other.

i suggest taking a little trip together and telling yourselves you WON'T be discussing the wedding or the new house.

This makes sense. Get away from the stress. Doesn't even have to be a "vacation" as in a flight+hotel, etc. Book a room somewhere in your town, get a nice dinner, sleep in, get a breakfast buffet in, sit around and relax at the pool with a few beverages...

Recharge your batteries once in a while. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

My wife and I had more arguments when we were engaged than in almost our whole dating/marriage (almost 8 years married now) combined. No "fun" dates, every conversion occupied by a random insignificant decision, every bit of conversation forced to talk about colors, details, guest list, groomsmen/bridesmaids, a budget, inter family dynamics...it was awful. And we were only engaged 9 months and 3 days.

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

For a wedding it's not expensive or big, but the guest list is big enough, I guess.  And no, not exactly shouting matches, but they do seem to be getting worse.

Doesn't help we're also trying to buy a house.

Yeah that'll do it. Take a night (weekend if you have the time) just relax and enjoy yourselves. 

18 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We got married in Jamaica and the only time we had an issue is when I said we should get married early in the day so we could do something fun in the afternoon.

She didn’t find that to be a good of a suggestion as I’d have hoped.

That is so freaking awesome !

We got married in Sequoia National Forest with 6 friends and a minister. Simple and easy, no worries about anything
Then after our honeymoon we came back and had a big bash for all the family and friends
Takes all of the stress out of the Wedding Day and makes the party even more fun imo

As far as the fighting stuff, just learn to say "OK" and do it her way.
Its HER day, there's little worth fighting over. Happy Wife = Happy Life

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 9:30 PM, Daniel said:

I mean, it's an extremely stressful event for everyone involved assuming you both care about it lol. My wife was super "this has to be perfect" for a while but as we got closer, everything kinda relaxed she just said "whatever" lol. My biggest advice if you're both stressed about everything is to prioritize what is most important and focus on that. If you have a great wedding party, ask them to help and make them in charge of something. We were able to do that and it helped our sanity A LOT. The most important thing to remember is it's your day and when it happens, just have fun!!! Things will know than likely go wrong at times so accept that and move on. Best of luck to you!

On 6/20/2019 at 8:30 PM, Daniel said:

Not married, but I think it depends on what you guys are arguing about.