Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

On 3/5/2022 at 7:38 PM, incognito_man said:

If anyone has experience with being in a relationship with someone with an addiction (especially marijuana) please PM me. Going through some things with a loved one in need. Thanks!

Heh, I have experience with this! Except I'm the one addicted to marijuana. There are many reasons someone may be addicted- does she have ADHD? Anxiety? Etc...those issues can make someone dependent on marijuana.

You can only do so much, unfortunately. My wife was getting fed up after I went through a binge for a few months, which ended with me smoking multiple times a day during some days I had off from work. I neglected her feelings. Apologized for it, and am slowly slowing down. Right now I'm taking two days off a week. I hope to be down to smoking 2-3 times a week soon, which my wife is fine with. Compromises in which both sides feel heard and genuinely agree to make a relationship blossom!

Honestly, she needs to want to do it as much as you don't want her to do it. I reached a point where I realized I was smoking like I was 23 again, and I really didn't want to subject my lungs to that much smoke. I want to take care of my body as I age. Also, I could no longer neglect the strains it was putting on my relationship.

I will say it's pretty easy for me to slow down once I actually START slowing down. I don't feel urges. I actually forget about it. It's not physical addiction; it's more habitual addiction if that makes sense. It may be different for your lady, but ask her to take one day off to get the ball rolling. She may never quit for good, but if she can cut it down to a few times a week- that'd probably go a long way for your relationship, although every relationship is different! Just knowing she's trying can give you a sense solace. Good luck!

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

I finally met a girl I really like. We haven't had a first date yet (shes busy, an just got out of a 9 year deal that really broke her heart). Now I'm considering a job in San Francisco. My life is a tragic comedy lol.

Is the job in San Francisco because that's where the girl is located?

6 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Well if the job in San Fran pays you well enough to go to San Fran and live a normal life, then take it. If not, hit her up and stay where you're at

Yeah. That's the plan.

We text and talk every day. It's like we are setting each up for pain later.

• 2 weeks later...

I took this girl on a date who I've had a crush on since HS (been 10+ years now), the date went well, imo. We had dinner and sat/talked for over three hours. We're both extremely busy with work but after the date the energy has just been weird. I may be looking too into it but she deleted my comments on her Instagram posts and hasn't really hit me up since then. Not sure if I should just let it go or reach out to her again, lol.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I took this girl on a date who I've had a crush on since HS (been 10+ years now), the date went well, imo. We had dinner and sat/talked for over three hours. We're both extremely busy with work but after the date the energy has just been weird. I may be looking too into it but she deleted my comments on her Instagram posts and hasn't really hit me up since then. Not sure if I should just let it go or reach out to her again, lol.

if she's deleting you online so to speak, then she's deleted you in her mind, sorry.

i'd say make contact just to clarify where the two of you stand with each other and any future time together, but expect it to end.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

if she's deleting you online so to speak, then she's deleted you in her mind, sorry.

i'd say make contact just to clarify where the two of you stand with each other and any future time together, but expect it to end.

Yeah it was just strange to me but I likely will not contact her again. Although I think the root of it is that I previously had a fling with a girl in her circle but I wasn't aware they knew each other until just recently, lol.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever dated someone that had wedding fever?

Long story short, my gf and I been dating for 8 months (keep that in mind).  Recently one of her old roommates got married back in Feb and i attended the wedding with her.  A few days ago her sister (my gf is adopted so it isnt her real one) got engaged with a guy who basically became official for at least a month.  We spoke yesterday and she was saying "we are next".  I kinda told her 8 months is too short to even discuss marriage like that and i at least need to know a person for a year or 2 before proposing. I know she really likes me and her family does too, but she needs to realize our relationship is different compared to her friend and her sisters. 

Am I wrong for letting her know im not ready YET to be married, but we are on the right track and if you really care about me you would respect my decision and just let it happen down the line?

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

Long story short, my gf and I been dating for 8 months (keep that in mind).  Recently one of her old roommates got married back in Feb and i attended the wedding with her.  A few days ago her sister (my gf is adopted so it isnt her real one) got engaged with a guy who basically became official for at least a month.  We spoke yesterday and she was saying "we are next".  I kinda told her 8 months is too short to even discuss marriage like that and i at least need to know a person for a year or 2 before proposing. I know she really likes me and her family does too, but she needs to realize our relationship is different compared to her friend and her sisters. 

Am I wrong for letting her know im not ready YET to be married, but we are on the right track and if you really care about me you would respect my decision and just let it happen down the line?

There is nothing wrong with telling your GF  how you feel and your stance on this or anything A good relationship needs open communication

With that said she may or may not like what you have to tell her but thats not on you

Open up with an I feel statement People cant argue with the way you feel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

Yes, and you made the right decision by communicating, and even if it potentially feels a little smothering for her to bring it up to you while you feel it's early, it is better for her that she spoke about it to you, as well.  Wedding fever does "pass,"
sort of.

It is particularly bad when it is close friends and family members getting married.  I went through it with my wife for a few years, while we were still dating.  I wasn't aware of it like you were.  I don't know how old you are, but we were in our late 20's, and already living together. 

The best part is that once you do get married, she replaces wedding fever with baby fever.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I went on a date the other day. We ate, and I paid. She lost her debit card, and still offered to pay, but I declined. She was pretty under the influence, and I was sober. She needed some stuff at Walmart and I offered to help her out, and she would pay me back. Anyway, she starts talking about buying things and leaving them at my place. I was like uh...what? I didn't say anything, but I wasn't about it.

Regardless I didn't feel that spark, so I'll try to remain friends. But that was off putting.

• Like 1