Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Not the worst snub in the world by any stretch, but I'm not the biggest fan of Boswell in the probowl for the AFC over Tucker.

I'm sure constantly being mentioned alongside Big Ben, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown as part of "The Killer Bs" on primetime/national broadcasts would certainly have helped his name recognition

• Like 4

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

I'm sure constantly being mentioned alongside Big Ben, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown as part of "The Killer Bs" on primetime/national broadcasts would certainly have helped his name recognition

Haha, I was just thinking the exact same thing. Tucker is still the king. 

Our special teams is adding so much value year after year. It's amazing how consistently they have been at or very near the top of the league in DVOA. It's about as consistent as the Patriots offense being top of the league.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

Edited by wackywabbit

3 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Also, it's actually legit surprising that Jerry Rosburg is not mentioned for more promotions, either internally or externally, given how consistently good our ST's units are.

Naaaah, I think he's perfectly suited for the job he has. I would love it if the guy got some money but Ssshh. We're in a privileged position, the sheer worry that permeates in other team's GDTs over special teams play is so foreign to us. 

9 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Also, it's actually legit surprising that Jerry Rosburg is not mentioned for more promotions, either internally or externally, given how consistently good our ST's units are.

He's already the assistant head coach, so there isn't much room to climb with the Ravens. And he would need head coach considerations elsewhere. Not many special teams coordinator are hired as head coaches. Harbaugh is the closest one in recent memory off the top of my head, and he was coming off a year as a defensive backs (I think) coach in Philadelphia and not straight from being a special teams coordinator. 

4 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

He's already the assistant head coach, so there isn't much room to climb with the Ravens. And he would need head coach considerations elsewhere. Not many special teams coordinator are hired as head coaches. Harbaugh is the closest one in recent memory off the top of my head, and he was coming off a year as a defensive backs (I think) coach in Philadelphia and not straight from being a special teams coordinator. 

According to the podcast from Sarah Ellison, Harbaugh accepted a "step down" from ST coordinator to DB coach, as Andy Reid said teams didn't hire ST coordinators to be head coaches, and Reid knew that was Harbaughs dream.

Maurice Canady(23), Marlon Humphrey(21), Tavon Young(23), and Jaylen Hill(23) are all under 24 years old. No way Jimmy isn't back next year, but we could see Carr unloaded for a pick if the team has more faith in the injury bug not ravaging us again. An amazing young core to build and grow with, this offseason I really want Marlon to get a look at FS too. He's such a rare player with just how physical he is and creating positional flexibility in him early on is key. A FS that can excel against the run and kick down on a WR on passing downs is a special kind of weapon that I think he can become. He's only going to get bigger and stronger and has the early markings of a core franchise player. We have two veterans at the position right now in Weddle/Webb(another versatile player) and letting him work with them could be key.

I'm also sympathetic to the point that his shortcomings as a pure corner that were highlighted during last year's draft process have not been completely eliminated despite his high level of play so far, and giving him more to chew could be counterproductive to his development and the eradication of those negative traits. I don't see Canady or Young going anywhere in the future and Jimmy while a question mark going forward should give us a couple more years, but imo Weddle is gone after next year for retirement. I would love for Marlon to be looked at as the possible replacement for him. I never viewed some analysts opinion's on Humphrey switching to safety in the NFL as a negative, only as another tool in the toolbox. 

If another highly touted cover corner dropped to us in the draft the way Jimmy did, or if even if they fell to a position we felt comfortable trading up to get them at in the case of elites(Ramsey/Lattimore)- in the next couple of drafts. I wouldn't be shocked to see the trigger pulled and the option of Marlon at FS being expressed quickly. This Franchise has been demonstrated the effects of having and not having talented players on the back end too many times for me to think otherwise. Going forward to get the most talented and capable players on the field this scenario will have to be analyzed. Are you telling me next year we're going to leave a year older Weddle on the field in favor of some of this young talent we have stockpiled?, it's a bit sketchy. I know many injury recoveries will need to play themselves out and a lot can change but this DB discussion really intrigues me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To those in Baltimore, what's the deal with the fans in the city right now? I've never seen fan support so low, I see people talk about protests but I find it hard to believe something so silly would knock out what use to be such a rabid supportive fan base to this degree. I went to a couple Raider games in the Jamarcus era and they had more people there it seemed. The vibe around the team must be super negative.

Edited by DreamKid
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 10:01 PM, drd23 said:

Dave Toub, KC's ST coordinator, is on the NFL's suggested listed of HC candidates for this off-season, so there might be a little more recognition of good ST coordinators going forward

Toub's name has been thrown around for a few years now. Not saying he isn't deserving, but being a special teams coordinator is doing him no favors... probably because teams like guys who specialize on defense or offense. Otherwise you end up with a head coach that totally relies on his coordinators whether they're competent or not (Harbaugh).

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

To those in Baltimore, what's the deal with the fans in the city right now? I've never seen fan support so low, I see people talk about protests but I find it hard to believe something so silly would knock out what use to be such a rabid supportive fan base to this degree. I went to a couple Raider games in the Jamarcus era and they had more people there it seemed. The vibe around the team must be super negative.

Yea, IDK what it is. The crowd was again awful today. Yea, it's a weird Saturday and it was ugly rainy weather, but stil. The Packers crowd was all there in 4 degree weather to see an eliminated team. Pretty embarrassing for what used to be a a top crowd. And as much as Perriman has failed to live up to expectations, I thought the fake cheers were a bit much for the kid.

Edited by wackywabbit

11 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Yea, IDK what it is. The crowd was again awful today. Yea, it's a weird Saturday and it was ugly rainy weather, but stil. The Packers crowd was all there in 4 degree weather to see an eliminated team. Pretty embarrassing for what used to be a a top crowd. And as much as Perriman has failed to live up to expectations, I thought the fake cheers were a bit much for the kid.

Honestly I don't think the media has helped.  They've expressed some curiosity at the lack of excitement for the team, but they've fueled that to some degree IMO.  I listen to 105.7 on my commute roughly every other day (podcasts at other times.  They've been talking about this team like it's among the worst in the league and going nowhere.  I believe that sentiment has seeped into the fan base to some degree. It's interesting in that this team has only one really "bad loss."  The Chicago game was one we should have won, but the remaining losses were to Pitt (x2), Minnesota, Jacksonville and Tennessee, which are all playoff teams.

I wouldn't write off the anthem protests.  Deadspin had a piece mocking **** Cass for making a comment to that effect.  At some point, though, you have to take people at their word.  Further, one does have to think that he is at least somewhat plugged into the opinions of season ticket holders.

Either way, I am fine with the current reduced interest.  Allowed me to get cheap tix to next week's game against the Binguls.