Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

18 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

We have money invested. We don’t have talent. Our best player on D would probably be the 6th best players on the Jags, Seahawks, and probably a few other teams. And even really good players like Williams and Mosley are playing in the wrong era

Do the Ravens not have talent or do they have talent that's miscast and vastly underutilized? The latter is more likely.

7 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Do the Ravens not have talent or do they have talent that's miscast and vastly underutilized? The latter is more likely.

We’ve had players like Kruger, Ellerbe, Arthur Jones, Cary Williams, McPhee who were basically worthless after leaving this team. Jernigan is the only example that comes to mind on the other side

22 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

We’ve had players like Kruger, Ellerbe, Arthur Jones, Cary Williams, McPhee who were basically worthless after leaving this team. Jernigan is the only example that comes to mind on the other side

Hmm? Doesn't have much to do with the team now. There is loads of talent on the defensive side of the ball. Just no structure in place to actually take advantage of it. Which will continue to be the case if Martindale is promoted and the same general mantra keep on keepin' on. 

I don't disagree about trying to win with defense though. That era is over until the league decides to give that side of the ball some help with rules... not happening. They like scoring and ratings. Offense is the key these days and you need an organization committed to building a good one. Baltimore is not such an organization. 

xD

My ideal offseason 

Coaches:

HC Harbaugh

ST Rosberg

OC Morninweg ( I Know he is unpopular, but no offense would succeed with the lack of playmakers on the team. Flacco needs consistency in OC after going through them like hot cakes. 

DC Pagano

Cuts:

Austin Howard- Saves around 3 mil in cap space

Webb- Saves around 2 mil 

Maclin- Saves around 5 mil

Perriman- Saves 1 Mil

Total Estimated Cap Space with Cuts:  Approx: 20 Mil

Resign:

Jensen

Wallace

FA Signings:

Jarvis Landry WR

Navorro Bowman ILB

Draft:  *only top 4 rounds for now 

1) James Washington WR

2) Mike Gesicki TE

3) Andre Dillard OT 

4) DJ Moore WR

Edited by paraven

Especially after going to college in upstate NY I have a soft spot for the Bills and am happy for them and their fans for the playoff berth... but it sucks not really getting to enjoy that/having to avoid all of the celebration videos, etc. because it came at our expense. What a crappy way to end the season. Much worse than last season... only thing that tops it is the Lee Evans/Cundiff game. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

Looking at this season, the fact that they only ended up with a 9-7 record speaks volumes about the quality of the team.

They had a 9-2 record against non-play-off teams and a 0-5 record against those that made it.  The Ravens Strength of Victory for the season was a paltry 0.299 - lower than every team bar Indianapolis (and the Browns who obviously didn't have a victory to calculate SOV for).

We were gifted the possibly the easiest schedule to make the play-offs and failed to do it.  Looking at our opponents for 2018 (NFC South and AFC West), we will struggle to be a .500 team if performances don't improve significantly.

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Looking at this season, the fact that they only ended up with a 9-7 record speaks volumes about the quality of the team.

They had a 9-2 record against non-play-off teams and a 0-5 record against those that made it.  The Ravens Strength of Victory for the season was a paltry 0.299 - lower than every team bar Indianapolis (and the Browns who obviously didn't have a victory to calculate SOV for).

We were gifted the possibly the easiest schedule to make the play-offs and failed to do it.  Looking at our opponents for 2018 (NFC South and AFC West), we will struggle to be a .500 team if performances don't improve significantly.

Agreed. This season is highly inflated due to the schedule and number of backup quarterbacks we faced. Carr wasn't spectacular this season, but he would most likely have done a bit better than EJ Manuel. We didn't face Aaron Rodgers, Luck, Deshaun Watson etc.

Ofc we are talking about how it would be nice to be a part of the playoffs, and it would be nice to show Flaccos somewhat impressive statistic of making it to the playoffs so all the haters can hate even more.

But the fact that this defense is talked up in the media is a proof that many don't watch games, nor know much about what the defense faced. This defense where lucky to face so little quality, and when it did it crumbled. The offense had some of the worst lows we have ever seen. Flacco looked about as bad as could be predicted, and then somewhat regained some faith in his ability in the second half of the season, where he led an offense with so many shortcomings to a pretty respectable level.

This should go down as a season, that looks better on paper 2-3 years down the road, than it actually were. This was in many ways a bad season with poor play, but we overcame injuries and where lucky enough to once again be in contention. That is still more than other teams who faced same circumstances can brag about.

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Injuries played a significant role, their effect on the team wasn't some false narrative. Either Tavon or Yanda being back on their side of the ball drastically alters that unit's performance and nets us more wins. 

My main problem with the team this year was how soft they were. I've made my feelings on CJ known, not a fan, but both Tony and Eric aren't built for the AFC north and though they may be Ravens in spirit they certainly aren't in body. We have no tone setters on defense and it isn't surprising that the offense was the unit to find more consistency and potency late in the year with them being the grittier side this season. Marlon was the most Raven like Raven this year on D and he's just a youngin, Suggs is there too but his energy isn't as strong as it once was, though he's kept his play at a high level. We'll need to compensate for our back end going forward and hopefully a new coordinator will utilize Weddle and Jefferson correctly, keeping Weddle out of the fire and putting Jefferson in positions to succeed.

We have too much talent and depth to not be contenders next year and it's highly unlikely injuries will hit us the same. Our offense should get the biggest injection of talent in Franchise history and our defense has flaws that are easily erased with competency. 

Weddle is one of the worst tacklers I've ever seen. Mosley is overrated. Our "young and promising" front seven players are overrated. The only reason our defensive gets hyped up is because we are the Ravens. The only solid defensive outing we had vs a decent QB this year was the Lions. ONE.

I don't need to rant about the offense cause that is taken care of by everyone else and the media.

Well, at least next year should be playoffs or bust for everything.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, paraven said:

OC Morninweg ( I Know he is unpopular, but no offense would succeed with the lack of playmakers on the team. Flacco needs consistency in OC after going through them like hot cakes. 

Agreed. We were all very down on Mornhinweg in the first half of the season, but hindsight now indicates that he was working around a QB who was limited mentally by his knee and limited physically by his pre-season back injury. As Flacco has regained his confidence and his full health, the offense improved significantly, and that included the playcalling (though there were still some boneheaded calls, but there always will be).

He also had to contend with a makeshift O-line, which took a while to gel and become effective, and the fact that they didn't find their starting RB until a third of the way into the season.

I think he's done enough to merit another season, with a more talented offensive cast. And Joe does deserve to have some consistency and the chance to build real chemistry with an OC. But I do still think the Ravens need to find a dedicated QB coach whose job it is to just focus on Flacco's mechanics and footwork and mental processes.

3 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Weddle is one of the worst tacklers I've ever seen. Mosley is overrated. Our "young and promising" front seven players are overrated. The only reason our defensive gets hyped up is because we are the Ravens. The only solid defensive outing we had vs a decent QB this year was the Lions. ONE.

I don't need to rant about the offense cause that is taken care of by everyone else and the media.

Well, at least next year should be playoffs or bust for everything.

And funny enough, in that performance, Matthew Stafford had like 3 incomplete passes all game long.

Switching gears here, I think we really need to talk about how well Joe D'Allesandris did this year with the offensive line, considering that he was handed a pretty crappy hand and all year that unit was solid as I've ever seen it. A lot of credit needs to go to him for that. He managed to turn James freaking Hurst into a 16-game starter who didn't get Flacco killed, and moreover actually looked pretty solid at LG. That by itself is worthy of recognition.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

And funny enough, in that performance, Matthew Stafford had like 3 incomplete passes all game long.

Switching gears here, I think we really need to talk about how well Joe D'Allesandris did this year with the offensive line, considering that he was handed a pretty crappy hand and all year that unit was solid as I've ever seen it. A lot of credit needs to go to him for that. He managed to turn James freaking Hurst into a 16-game starter who didn't get Flacco killed, and moreover actually looked pretty solid at LG. That by itself is worthy of recognition.

I would say Greg Roman had a hand in it too. Those guys deserve a raise.