Revisiting the Khalil Mack Trade

MacReady

I don't think the Mack trade itself was a problem, but the combination of:

- being down 2019 and 2020 first round picks for Mack
-being down a 2019 2nd for the trade to acquire the pick used to select Anthony Miller
-being down a 2020 4th in the trade to acquire David Montgomery
-the cap space devoted to Mack

compounds the problem of the Bears selecting the wrong QB in 2017

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No, because I was told by everyone I was stupid for saying it was a bad trade just like I was told it was stupid for the Vikings to trade for that one white Chiefs defensive end that I think was named Jared Allen that everyone said was elite and I’m already forgetting his name.  I’m going to keep reminding people because NFL fans are just too stupid to get the concept that there are two things every team needs to build a Super Bowl roster:

1. Cap health.

2. Draft capital.

Trading away both for one player has never worked and will never work if you want to win Super Bowls.  

The "facts" of the trade are fairly well set in stone by now. Sure - if Trubisky turns it on, he could afford CHI an out.

But thats a big IF and it seems far more "ain't happening" than possible.

So - if constantly regurgitating the same set of facts is done solely to prove others stupid......well, I'll repeat my comment that it seems the trade is a known quantity at this point.

Sure....folks go to gravesites to remember the past....but the subject matter is dead and buried.

4 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Some Bears fans are already talking about wanting to release Mack

Lol.  They can’t.  They’d have 45 million in dead cap if they cut him this offseason.  21 million in dead cap if cut NEXT offseason.  And the funniest part is that Mack is still an elite player, and even if they COULD cut him or COULD trade him and avoid that dead cap, they’d be without Mack.  They don’t have another star player on defense.  Some really good ones, but no stars.  

16 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Cutting Mack and admitting you got both his decision along with the QB choice in that draft wrong would be career suicide by Pace 

Pace might not have a chance to dig the hole deeper.

Edited by Outpost31

Mack is a heck of a player no doubt.  However, he didn't "help" his team to another division title.  Various facts/events throughout the year contributed to the Bear's season going down the drain.  It is a fact though ... they don't have 2 1st round draft choices and are in salary cap hell and are pretty much screwed for next year.  All in all, I'm glad he's there and not here.   

Rashan Gary is gonna get his shoulder right and spend all offseason practicing his moves and will make Preston Smith the highest paid depth EDGE in the league as he (Gary) gets 16 sacks and an INT for a TD.  Also a fumble recovery (that he forced) that he returns 79 yards to the 1 yard line that he will fumble out of bounds, but not out of the end zone, because some little guy has a well-timed swat at the ball.

Then this Mack trade will look REALLY good for us not having done it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Mack is a heck of a player no doubt.  However, he didn't "help" his team to another division title.  Various facts/events throughout the year contributed to the Bear's season going down the drain.  It is a fact though ... they don't have 2 1st round draft choices and are in salary cap hell and are pretty much screwed for next year.  All in all, I'm glad he's there and not here.   

Well after seeing Z Smith, Mack is pretty similar. Both consistently get double teamed. However I believe Z Smith gets triple teamed more.

Today Preston Smith got more rest than what he did all season and giving Gary some experience.

8 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Some Bears fans are already talking about wanting to release Mack

Never going to happen, still is a good player. The Bears are going to give Pace 2 more years with this roster (1 if s hits the fan next year with a 4-12 record). Hopefully Pace doesn’t go Al Davis and set their next gm up for failure trading all their future picks.

If Chicago got Rivers next year, I’d be pretty scared of them. Other than that though,  last year is probably their ceiling (good D, but meh O that can’t win in the playoffs)