Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

22 hours ago, NickButera said:

You know, I suppose there was a small part of me that misses the days around  the forum when our team was considered unilaterally trash with no hope of being resurrected. The forum was always at eachothers throats almost all the time. It made for lots of popcorn eating. It feels like the winds are blowing in from the East again. 

Cutler was the voice of reason

Been waiting for this article for awhile:

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/mark-davis-jon-gruden-derek-carr-josh-mcdaniels-dave-ziegler-las-vegas-raiders-nfl

This is the in depth look at everything Raiders with comments from outside the organization. 

Biggest take way.... Mark Davis was clueless about how bad the roster was after the improbable 2021 playoff appearance. They were so entrenched with the Pats, JMD/DZ didn't know what they were getting into. 

A lot of the comments in here from executives league wide show this group is well respected league wide. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/mark-davis-jon-gruden-derek-carr-josh-mcdaniels-dave-ziegler-las-vegas-raiders-nfl

This is the in depth look at everything Raiders with comments from outside the organization. 

Biggest take way.... Mark Davis was clueless about how bad the roster was after the improbable 2021 playoff appearance. They were so entrenched with the Pats, JMD/DZ didn't know what they were getting into. 

A lot of the comments in here from executives league wide show this group is well respected league wide. 

Just read the article myself. Was getting on to post something similar to your assessment.

17 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Just read the article myself. Was getting on to post something similar to your assessment.

A lot of good stuff in there. I came away encouraged. They are approaching this their way, right or wrong to be determined. 

The culture and drafting has been awful for a long long time with the Raiders. I'll embrace anything that aims to change that. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

A lot of good stuff in there. I came away encouraged. They are approaching this their way, right or wrong to be determined. 

The culture and drafting has been awful for a long long time with the Raiders. I'll embrace anything that aims to change that. 

That article is the first thing that’s taken away the general sense of dread I’ve had since last year and had some really intriguing insight. Thanks for posting that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Well that was a read. I've always said this a retooling the offensive side of the ball can be top 10 if Jimmy stay healthy, the defense can improve with solid drafting and a wild card is not out of the question.

11 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

That article is the first thing that’s taken away the general sense of dread I’ve had since last year and had some really intriguing insight. Thanks for posting that. 

The comments on JMD/DZ paint a completely different picture than fans are want to paint. 

• Like 1

great read, thanks for posting. 

one overlooked point imo at least, its a little concerning that they didnt realize how bad the roster was. 
we all knew it, 5 blown 1st round draft picks should of been a hint to them. 
did they just do no research and took the job because no one else offered it to them?

Weve been a bottom feeder team for 20 years, a one in done in the playoffs, so they just did no roster eval?

I think, they knew, and this is just an easy way to calm the fan base down. 
id be concered if they didnt know / do their homework

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

great read, thanks for posting. 

one overlooked point imo at least, its a little concerning that they didnt realize how bad the roster was. 
we all knew it, 5 blown 1st round draft picks should of been a hint to them. 
did they just do no research and took the job because no one else offered it to them?

Weve been a bottom feeder team for 20 years, a one in done in the playoffs, so they just did no roster eval?

I think, they knew, and this is just an easy way to calm the fan base down. 
id be concered if they didnt know / do their homework

It was touched on:

They added, "The way things go in New England, they were so ingrained in the happenings of Foxborough, they had no real clue about Las Vegas."

As soon as Ziegler thought he had a chance to take over the franchise's helm with McDaniels, they started a deep dive.

Unfortunately for them, the way the process went forward, they didn't get the entire peel of the onion back until they took the job.

One executive said: "Dave spent 20-hours a day at the facility, got the Resort and still couldn't stop working. With each look there was more and more things they hadn't known about."

I'm sure other organizations are not tuned into the ins and outs of other franchises as much as people think. They have their own teams to worry about. You know the players, see they have a QB, see the results (2021 playoffs) and think they have enough to build on. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It was touched on:

I'm sure other organizations are not tuned into the ins and outs of other franchises as much as people think. They have their own teams to worry about. You know the players, see they have a QB, see the results (2021 playoffs) and think they have enough to build on. 

For sure, and I can give a pass to a point, and even understand they take the job thinking it. 

but, they were hired end of Jan, traded for DA on st Patrick’s day. I think 45 days they should’ve realized. 

just wonder how much pressure was on them to, from mark or just self pressure, to make it back. 

I love DA and am glad he his here now, but a lot were thinking a 1 and 2 are steep for a team with a lot of question marks. 

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

For sure, and I can give a pass to a point, and even understand they take the job thinking it. 

but, they were hired end of Jan, traded for DA on st Patrick’s day. I think 45 days they should’ve realized. 

just wonder how much pressure was on them to, from mark or just self pressure, to make it back. 

I love DA and am glad he his here now, but a lot were thinking a 1 and 2 are steep for a team with a lot of question marks. 

Mark's comments certainly didn't help. He kind of doesn't know how to speak publicly. And it sounds like he was clueless to how the bad drafting had crippled the roster. 

Based on this, it was into the season when reality struck. 

One executive said: "No way the Raiders sign Davante if they really felt it was a rebuild. From what I heard, they didn't realize how bad it really was until they played the Saints in New Orleans. After that debacle, they knew.  But they don't think it's a rebuild."

I don't think 45 days on the job tells you much from an eval standpoint when you're not around the players. You're not really going to understand how they think and work at that point. 

Agree on Adams. I love watching him play and I think Carr really pushed to make that happen, but not a good move given the roster. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Mark's comments certainly didn't help. He kind of doesn't know how to speak publicly. And it sounds like he was clueless to how the bad drafting had crippled the roster. 

Based on this, it was into the season when reality struck. 

I don't think 45 days on the job tells you much from an eval standpoint when you're not around the players. You're not really going to understand how they think and work at that point. 

Agree on Adams. I love watching him play and I think Carr really pushed to make that happen, but not a good move given the roster. 

Yeah I like mark, but he really needs to stay out of the way. As pointed out in that article, and on here, the DZ comment was so stupid to say to the press lol. 

I don’t understand how they can have a rotating oline the first 5 weeks or whatever and also say they didn’t know how bad it was. 
The NO game was clearly a wake up, a day before the deadline, they should’ve traded waller then (maybe tried and not possible?)just a day to late to realize it was retooling time? 
-

I think the waller and renfrow injury put them in a tough spot. Just season started off so ugly, but also so close at times too. It was just weird. 

regardless, I’m happy with the tone of the article that it seems Mark wants stability. That is what we need. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Honestly that article makes rich seem like the god hc. They repeatedly talk about how he turned water to wine out of this roster. 

This whole “I didn’t know what I was getting into” excuse is sad. How do you sign a deal not knowing what you’re getting into? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Honestly that article makes rich seem like the god hc. They repeatedly talk about how he turned water to wine out of this roster. 

This whole “I didn’t know what I was getting into” excuse is sad. How do you sign a deal not knowing what you’re getting into? 

Shhh. It polishes the knobs of Dave and Buster. That's what counts. Context be absolutely damned. Real-time results be damned. Logic and reason be damned. 

The Pat Graham Respectometer is at max capacity with that article. That's the only thing that counts. 

Edited by ronjon1990