Aaron Rodgers; what’s true and what’s not?

Shady Slim

yikes there's a lot of bad takes in here (and a couple good ones sprinkled in).

Rodgers is not "severely overrated" lmao

The Packers have never run a "simple" offense. That's nonsense.

Rodgers does not "do way less than other field generals pre-snap". Also nonsense, and nonsense that can't (and definitely WON'T) be supported by any reasoning or evidence.

He is sensitive, he is high maintenance and he does look for the killshot more than he should at this point in his career. He needs a hard reset in his mentality and mechanics this offseason. He still has one of the best arms in the league, but his base is broken. He is also far too risk-averse to the point of it being a detriment. And he is too demanding of his pass receivers rather than adjusting HIS expectations and play to the reality of imperfection, he appears to ignore them.

GB had Davante Adams and a bunch of 1st year guys in the systems for pass receivers this year. I don't know if it's starting to click for these guys late, or if Rodgers is just relaxing some - but the offense has picked up lately. 

Really, if he just frickin took the dump-offs and underneath stuff and trusted his guys more and fixed his mechanics, he is an MVP candidate again.

Hopefully he does next year.

Takes like all the ones in here pretty much mimic what we hear everyday in the media and are why Rodgers is going to take over as the MVP again next year. Rodgers is overly sensitive and high maintenance but man is he gifted. He's also extremely fueled by doubt, something he's seen none of until this year again. Think there are some real flaws in his fundamentals he created trying to play through the torn MCL, also there was a general staleness between him and Mac. He needs an off-season away, probably a surgical cleanup on the knee and then some intense training with one of the summer QB gurus when he's healthy to dial him back in. 

Comparing him to Dwayne Wade has to be the worst thing I've ever read on this forum. Wade might not be even one of the top 25 most talented players at his position let alone the NBA. Rodgers is absolutely one of the top 3 most gifted QBs of all time. No doubt hasn't had the career team successes of some of the others but he plays the position as good or better than all of them.

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Takes like all the ones in here pretty much mimic what we hear everyday in the media and are why Rodgers is going to take over as the MVP again next year. Rodgers is overly sensitive and high maintenance but man is he gifted. He's also extremely fueled by doubt, something he's seen none of until this year again. Think there are some real flaws in his fundamentals he created trying to play through the torn MCL, also there was a general staleness between him and Mac. He needs an off-season away, probably a surgical cleanup on the knee and then some intense training with one of the summer QB gurus when he's healthy to dial him back in. 

Comparing him to Dwayne Wade has to be the worst thing I've ever read on this forum. Wade might not be even one of the top 25 most talented players at his position let alone the NBA. Rodgers is absolutely one of the top 3 most gifted QBs of all time. No doubt hasn't had the career team successes of some of the others but he plays the position as good or better than all of them.

D-Wade in his prime/peak was the 2nd greatest SG ever.  It just didn’t last and because of that I agree that it’s not a good comparison with AR. 

NFL Gen really crossing the sports landscape lately.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

yikes there's a lot of bad takes in here (and a couple good ones sprinkled in).

Rodgers is not "severely overrated" lmao

The Packers have never run a "simple" offense. That's nonsense.

Rodgers does not "do way less than other field generals pre-snap". Also nonsense, and nonsense that can't (and definitely WON'T) be supported by any reasoning or evidence.

He is sensitive, he is high maintenance and he does look for the killshot more than he should at this point in his career. He needs a hard reset in his mentality and mechanics this offseason. He still has one of the best arms in the league, but his base is broken. He is also far too risk-averse to the point of it being a detriment. And he is too demanding of his pass receivers rather than adjusting HIS expectations and play to the reality of imperfection, he appears to ignore them.

GB had Davante Adams and a bunch of 1st year guys in the systems for pass receivers this year. I don't know if it's starting to click for these guys late, or if Rodgers is just relaxing some - but the offense has picked up lately. 

Really, if he just frickin took the dump-offs and underneath stuff and trusted his guys more and fixed his mechanics, he is an MVP candidate again.

Hopefully he does next year.

We will agree to disagree on some of the stuff. But i will agree with you on the risk part. I know its crazy to even suggest this. But i tend to think Rodgers plays, lately to protect his low int count. He shys away from the 50/50 throws to avoid turnovers or negative plays and will just throw the ball away or run with it. But he leaves opportunities for big plays when avoiding the risky 50/50 throws. I dont know if its because he doesnt trust his guys or he really is conscious about his int total. Because if you look at his career. Biggest thing that separates Rodgers from most others is his low int count.

He has never led the league in att, comp, yds, comp%. Has led in tds 1 time, ypa 1 time and passer rating 2 times.

Other lessor categories.

Td% 2 times, int% 3 times and ay/a 2 times.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_W said:

people say he's sensitive.

I wonder if he's bothered by the Rogers rule; internalizing all that 'might as well play with flags' hate that the fans & players have after the rules change

I wouldn't like that one bit.

This didn't stop Brady from winning multiple rings. I highly doubt one rule change would affect a players mental state.

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

Rodgers is a bad QB who Mike McCarthy carried for years and now he will be exposed without lololololololololololololololololol

Can't tell if mocking thread, baiting or actually serious. Either way c'mon man.

17 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

I just thank the football gods that my team's best player is not such an uptight diva.  I can't imagine being forced to alter my morals in order to root for my team's QB.  Poor souls.

If we're being honest here half of NFL teams will waive this for their players, chiefs fans will die on a hill for Tyreek but scoff at what Hunt did. 

We all overlook things for our teams because bias, but don't act like you haven't done the same thing at some point. 

For example:

Colin Kaepernick exists. 

Rodgers is a diva but like who cares except the people who think that actually matters when it comes to football.

Jim Irsay is a *insert words here* who let the colts wither away their best years with their franchise QB. 

Roelthisberger is well you all know.

Jameis is....a terrible human being probably. 

Cam Newton is actually a cool dude but people like easy targets.

Matt Ryan is plainer than white bread. 

Tom Brady is the most overrated QB this decade and nobody wants to talk about his decline because all the patriots fans will laugh when he wins MVP next year even though father time trumps all. 

Russell Wilson is 12 hamsters in a mech suit.

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

I just thank the football gods that my team's best player is not such an uptight diva.  I can't imagine being forced to alter my morals in order to root for my team's QB.  Poor souls.

Quick question, how many times have you threw your entire team under the bus just to prop up your favorite teams QB (Manning and Luck) and then turn around and defend those same players under the bus whenever they're being talked about directly? 

The amount of hypocrisy that happens on this forum is legendary at this point and don't try and pretend as if you are not one of them. Clean your own backyard before you talk.

Don't think for one second that over 75% of the league would not take a caliber player like Rodgers over their current QB. And that's coming from a Bears fan who hates the Packers and the man.

Not a Packers fan, but it's pretty unsettling to hear these takes coming out of thin air regarding Rodgers' character. This is the second time I can remember that Rodgers started to be a target once the Packers started losing. The other time was in 2016, when the team was 4-6. Right before they went on that crazy win streak, Rodgers at the time became a public punching bag for negativity. There was a ton of talk regarding his estranged family, and how he wasn't that great of a leader from the mouth of I believe former Packer Jermichael Finley. Then the winning happened, and the talked died down. 

Just goes to show, when you lose, you're a jerk. When you're winning, you're an angel. Like Jay Cutler. Never talked, but was labeled a douchebag that didn't care about anything, because the Bears were consistent losers. 

18 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Your take on Wade is as bad as this threads worst takes on Rodgers

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Not a Packers fan, but it's pretty unsettling to hear these takes coming out of thin air regarding Rodgers' character. This is the second time I can remember that Rodgers started to be a target once the Packers started losing. The other time was in 2016, when the team was 4-6. Right before they went on that crazy win streak, Rodgers at the time became a public punching bag for negativity. There was a ton of talk regarding his estranged family, and how he wasn't that great of a leader from the mouth of I believe former Packer Jermichael Finley. Then the winning happened, and the talked died down. 

Just goes to show, when you lose, you're a jerk. When you're winning, you're an angel. Like Jay Cutler. Never talked, but was labeled a douchebag that didn't care about anything, because the Bears were consistent losers. 

His teammates don't like him. Everyone who has played with him and is no longer with the team has implied as much.

4 hours ago, Malik said:

His teammates don't like him. Everyone who has played with him and is no longer with the team has implied as much.

They seemed pretty happy for him when he got his new contract.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/30/current-former-teammates-react-to-aaron-rodgers-new-contract/

And everyone that has played with Rodgers hasn't had negative remarks about him as a teammate. Jordy Nelson hasn't said anything as far as I know. Donald Driver never said anything in the territory of being a bad teammate or not liking him. A ton of guys haven't. The select few that have, are the ones that get spotlighted, because it drives a dramatic narrative. 

Archived