Football vs Baseball: Kyler Murray

cddolphin

Which sport?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which?

I don't think this belongs in comparisons so I'll put it here.

If you're Kyle Murray, what kind of thought process do you have regarding choosing between the NFL and MLB?

What are the pros/cons? What is more appealing / unappealing about each option?

Is it only a discussion since he'd be playing QB and has more earning potential?

Which path do you think he'll choose?

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He should choose MLB - longer career, not as many injuries, guaranteed contracts. 

That's assuming he's good enough. From what I've heard about him, he's not some baseball prodigy who's a lock to get a job. He's a guy with enough talent to compete for a spot in the MLB. If he goes to the NFL this year, he's a lock for the 1st/early 2nd round and a few million guaranteed. If it doesn't work, it'll be a lot easier to transition from football to baseball than the other way around.

1 minute ago, Art_Vandalay said:

That's assuming he's good enough. From what I've heard about him, he's not some baseball prodigy who's a lock to get a job. He's a guy with enough talent to compete for a spot in the MLB. If he goes to the NFL this year, he's a lock for the 1st/early 2nd round and a few million guaranteed. If it doesn't work, it'll be a lot easier to transition from football to baseball than the other way around.

Murray was the 9th overall pick in the MLB draft, and has already signed his deal with the As (with a $5mm signing bonus).

He's not a prodigy, but who is coming into baseball? Bryce Harper, maybe? Most of the top tier guys come in needing to refine their game before making it to MLB.

Sorry to be this guy, but his name is Kyler.

If he's picked in the 1st round in the NFL then he gets more money right away, gets to his 2nd contract faster, and doesn't spend the next 3+ years being a nobody.

If he prefers football, then he should choose football.  If he prefers baseball, then he should choose baseball.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/19/18147692/kyler-murray-heisman-nfl-draft-oakland-athletics

MLB. I think he has a far better likelyhood of succeeding there. He'd make more money on the front end in the NFL, but I wouldn't be shocked if he flopped. In baseball I think he will make it to the big leagues and if he's any good he'll make more money and won't take a physical toll and probably have a much longer career.

It depends on what he prefers. The money angle doesn't favor baseball when we're talking QBs. Kyler will have to work his way up from the minor leagues and then wait years before he's a FA. In the NFL, if he's a good QB, he'll get paid better money on his rookie contract, hit FA faster, and then get paid comparable money to the top baseball FAs. QBs are also having similarly long careers in the NFL to MLB careers. Although, with Murray being a scrambler, there are some fair questions as to whether he'd last as long as other QBs. And the injury issues are also not as bad for QBs.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It depends on what he prefers. The money angle doesn't favor baseball when we're talking QBs. Kyler will have to work his way up from the minor leagues and then wait years before he's a FA. In the NFL, if he's a good QB, he'll get paid better money on his rookie contract, hit FA faster, and then get paid comparable money to the top baseball FAs. QBs are also having similarly long careers in the NFL to MLB careers. Although, with Murray being a scrambler, there are some fair questions as to whether he'd last as long as other QBs. And the injury issues are also not as bad for QBs.

I agree.  QB's in the NFL get paid an absurd amount of money.  As far as him being a scrambler, that is a valid concern.  He needs to study how Russell Wilson plays the game.  Wilson is probably the greatest QB ever at being able to scramble and not taking unnecessary hits all the time.  He's great at sliding, running out of bounds or throwing the football away.

Baseball would  be the harder road considering his progression or lack there of through the Minors but "IF" Legit, pay bigger dividends in the end.

Both Financially  (fully guaranteed  contracts) and longevity / health.

Russell Wilsons in the NFL dont grow on trees.  Expecting or hoping to be the next, might not occur. Then again getting lost in the minors might actually be easier to achieve.

Go NFL.

Archived