Thoughts on Josh Allen

bigbadbuff23835

Do you think he is going to be a top flight QB?

He obviously has the arm. He throws ropes everywhere around the field and can make those deep throws with ease. He struggles on the throws from 5-10 yards away. Which is crazy to me. The throws that should be gimmies are what he struggles with the most. Is that something you all think can be fixed? He’s also obviously a very smart runner. He’s played with a B-Squad offensively all season as well so that definitely didn’t help things.

I’m completely sold on his intangibles as well. He seems to be every bit the leader you’d want a franchise QB to be. I’m excited to see if he can take that next step next season. This off season should be a ton of reps on those short to intermediate throws.

Do I think he will be a top flight QB? Eh probably not, just taking the odds here, he was the 3rd most impressive rookie QB for me. Can he be? Absolutely, obviously has the tools. Year 2 will be very telling, as he will hopefully have more to work with offensively, but also will likely not be able to rely on his legs quite as much.

josh allen was the second most impressive rookie in the class behind baker and far outdid expectations that anyone could have had imho - all of the “buffalo took the wrong josh” takes are very much quiet now, and they are gonna stay that way if he can keep it up

9 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I think he’s a winner. He finds ways to win and that is the ultimate stat for a QB. 

If he can fine tune everything else then he will become very dangerous in the future 

Vince Young and Tim Tebow were winners. I don't want a QB who finds ways to win because those QBs usually get figured out. I want a QB who wins by being great at throwing the football. I also must disagree with "wins" being the ultimate stat for QBs, Rocky. Wins are a team stat. It's also worth pointing out that Josh Allen went 5-6 as a rookie, so he wasn't exactly winning a lot either.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I just realized that Josh Allen and Vince Young's rookie numbers are eerily similar:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounVi00.htm

29 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

josh allen was the second most impressive rookie in the class behind baker and far outdid expectations that anyone could have had imho - all of the “buffalo took the wrong josh” takes are very much quiet now, and they are gonna stay that way if he can keep it up

I still feel that way. Next year, he'll have an opportunity to prove me wrong.

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I just realized that Josh Allen and Vince Young's rookie numbers are eerily similar:

Let's be fair though - Titans QB failed for multiple reasons, most to do with his maturity, poor coaching and poor work ethic. To my knowledge, none of those things are currently an issue with Allen, he's a hard worker who puts in the time to improve.

If Titans QB had those three things, he may have succeeded. 

My thoughts on him haven't really changed from when he was drafted.  He's basically just held serve on what i'd have expected, considering the circumstances he was drafted into.

He's still got absolutely all world tools, with both an elite arm that can threaten the entire field at all times...and what seemed to be an underrated (among many) degree of quickness and mobility coming out of the draft.  He's shown that his elite arm is still a bigtime threat at the NFL level and he has the ability to make throws that very few other QBs can even contemplate.  He's also shown that he has tremendous ability to escape pressure and make those bigtime throws on the run from mobile platforms, which is pretty special.

On the other hand, he still hasn't shown that he's a consistently great touch thrower, or that the "gimme" throws are always easy for him.  His abject lack of top flight weapons has not helped in that one bit, nor has the pathetic OLine play and lack of a consistently threatening running game outside of the QB himself.  But it's certainly a big "needs improvement" category still.

If the Bills can put an actually quality OLine in front of him, run the ball better, and get some actual receivers with the hands to catch lasers...i still absolutely think they've got their QB situation sorted for the next while though.  He's shown this year that some of this most "special" traits can translate.  They're the sort of abilities you can build a lethal offense around...especially for a team like Buffalo, who can bank on disastrous weather if they can ever start to secure homefield in some playoff games.  You build a ground game, then add a dose of what Allen has shown this year...with more reliable receivers...you're dealing with that full spectrum of a QB who can put the ball anywhere at any time + a QB who can clearly gouge you on the ground himself + that foundation of a quality running game.  There's no way you're defending everything.  There are going to be big plays broken somewhere with that recipe.

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Let's be fair though - Titans QB failed for multiple reasons, most to do with his maturity, poor coaching and poor work ethic. To my knowledge, none of those things are currently an issue with Allen, he's a hard worker who puts in the time to improve.

If Titans QB had those three things, he may have succeeded. 

Those things were issues, but the biggest issue for Vince Young was that he didn't throw the football well enough. Maybe Allen's superior intangibles will allow him to become a good enough passer to succeed, but I'm always skeptical of guys who are chronically inaccurate. They almost never suddenly find their accuracy in the NFL.

5 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

This is a very generous take on Allen.

2074 yards (173 yards per game

10 td's

12 int's

52.8% completion %

6.5 Y/A

67.9 rating

Rushing wise he has been very impressive but to say that he far outdid expectations? Tyrod Taylor was significantly better as a QB then Allen is right now.

Archived