AFC Wild Card: Chargers @ Ravens

JAF-N72EX

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

It's OK as a principle, but you have to know where to pick your spots.   Run-run-run at the 6 was awful.  Rivers is your guy.   MG3 is hurt.  They chose Ekeler over Rivers/Allen/WR & Gates.   That's just bad ingame management IMO.    Likewise, going run-run-pass each set of downs just makes it easier for the BAL D.

I'm not suggesting they abandon the run.  But things like PA on 1st down with MG3, or even simple things like swing passes to the RB on 1st down (going 2-RB so BAL can't key on 1 guy), those are just creative ways to be unpredictable.   I do agree you stick to the run on the road if you're ahead - just can't be so predictable it hurts the O - and in the RZ, you have to give a shot to your cornerstone QB to make some plays.

Up two scores (assuming this holds to the half), I'd expect them to be a bit more liberal in terms of opting to pass in the red zone in the 2nd half.  This is, however, the type of defense (the one that can pressure him up the middle and force him to have to flush to his left or right) that Rivers has historically had issues with.  If he's against a side he can step up in the pocket against, he's usually good (until he brainfarts).  But I do feel like they're gameplan revolved as much around focusing on getting points (in whatever form they came early) to put a young, rookie QB outside of his comfort zone in the 2nd half, because that's where this secondary has actually really been able to step up.

Just now, candyman93 said:

Well, there’s a GIGANTIC difference between the Chargers front 7 and Cleveland’s.

With Mebane, Liuget & Perryman, that's very true.  The current version, not so much.   This is a huge testament to the DC coming up with a great plan - they are shooting the gaps in run D, and going 3 safeties to help increase their speed in covering Lamar's range.   Now, Lamar's really struggled, and BAL running the ball inside is playing to the Chargers' adjustment (BAL running outside can beat those guys selling out to shoot the gaps).    But this a major feather in the DC's cap.   As much as I dislike what the Chargers' O game plan has been at very key moments, the D plan has been top notch.

Now, the key will be in the last drive and 2H - does LAC break some of their predictability?   Teams like JAX in the AFCG gave away road games by being too conservative and predictable.  I don't think they need to go all out in pass game...just be creative and avoid complete predictability.  And let Rivers win drives with the chance to make some plays. 

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Up two scores (assuming this holds to the half), I'd expect them to be a bit more liberal in terms of opting to pass in the red zone in the 2nd half.  This is, however, the type of defense (the one that can pressure him up the middle and force him to have to flush to his left or right) that Rivers has historically had issues with.  If he's against a side he can step up in the pocket against, he's usually good (until he brainfarts).  But I do feel like they're gameplan revolved as much around focusing on getting points (in whatever form they came early) to put a young, rookie QB outside of his comfort zone in the 2nd half, because that's where this secondary has actually really been able to step up.

Yeah, those are all fair points.  It's just that it's also what keeps a team like BAL still in a game the LAC O could be putting away.   If it's just this game and it's specific to playing Lamar, that's more justifiable.  But complete predictability is never a good thing.  Still, it's only 1H.  Let's see what the 2 min drill and 2H bring.

Archived