BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

3 hours ago, ny92mike said:

@Jlash @bcb1213 @Hockey5djh @Counselor @wwhickok @Whicker @BringinDaPain @SirA1 @MD4L @PR @Ragnarok @RuskieTitan @WFLukic @SwoleXmad @pheltzbahr @TedLavie

So I'm really hating the way the team pages are looking, particularly pages that have a lot of invalid entries.  It just looks messy showing duplicates, because of name typos but only on my end when a player is signed and added to the player database , it produces errors within the formulas.

I'd like to clean this page up but in order to do so it requires some changes to the workbook.  Basically I'd be adding a buffer sheet, which would be used to remove the invalid entries (player name typos, duplicate bid submissions as well as if the player is no longer listed as a free agent), before sending this data to the "sorting" sheet.  

Prior to signing on with Singapore I hadn't really paid much attention to the team pages outside of just looking for formula errors.  I look at it now and it's a damn mess..haha.

I'd like to layout the team page a bit different.  Adding some additional columns that will show any invalid entry, so you can still see if you need to make a correction to the bid.  In addition having a couple columns reserved to show new contracts that have been added to the player database. 

All of this should eliminate all the "#N/A" formula errors that some of you are seeing in the team pages and just clean it up.

I'll start with a clean team page to create the template and delete the old ones once I'm ready so it'll be easy to update them all.  The only issue will be adding the new buffer sheet, will disturb what you're seeing for a short time.  I'll wait until I get the sheet created before changing the address used by the "response sorting" sheet, so the delay shouldn't take more than an hour and that's being generous with the estimate.  

Does anyone have an issue with this before I start working on it?

@SirA1 / @TedLavie

Edit:  Also, we have logged 700+ bids, excluding ones that have been deleted.  I didn't account for this many bids, so I've got to change the formulas within several sheets to account for a higher bid count.

@TedLavie when I make these changes it would be good if you could be around so we've got more eyes on it.  

Alright, so I got the new team page built but wanna make sure the formulas produce the right output once a player is awarded.  

The changes for the team page will include displaying signed players in column B&C, will include the name and dollar amount.  Note that these have already been added to the cap so the need to calculate here isn't needed.

In column Q, you'll see the wall of shame.  Bids that failed the spelling B challenge.

Pending contracts and signed players that have yet been added to the player database in the master workbook will be listed in the main section.

Someone mentioned the color, so I used a darker background color, should be a little easier on the eyes.

When you guys get some time, give it a look over for potential formula errors.  

I've created the buffer sheet, but I'm holding off on making the switch until tomorrow, had a few drinks tonight and wanna make sure I don't delete the entire thing...haha.

Last thing,

I guess we need a vote on reducing the clock from 48 to 24 in these final days of bidding, just to speed up the process.  

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

Alright, so I got the new team page built but wanna make sure the formulas produce the right output once a player is awarded.  

The changes for the team page will include displaying signed players in column B&C, will include the name and dollar amount.  Note that these have already been added to the cap so the need to calculate here isn't needed.

In column Q, you'll see the wall of shame.  Bids that failed the spelling B challenge.

Pending contracts and signed players that have yet been added to the player database in the master workbook will be listed in the main section.

Someone mentioned the color, so I used a darker background color, should be a little easier on the eyes.

When you guys get some time, give it a look over for potential formula errors.  

I've created the buffer sheet, but I'm holding off on making the switch until tomorrow, had a few drinks tonight and wanna make sure I don't delete the entire thing...haha.

Last thing,

I guess we need a vote on reducing the clock from 48 to 24 in these final days of bidding, just to speed up the process.  

As for the new team sheets. I don't mind it but don't know if it's entirely necessary. I'm OK with just manually deleting bids.

As for the formula issue why is it an issue? I'm guessing you have formula that take into account only a limited amount of cells. How many? Cause I doubt we're going to have many bids left. Maybe 100ish I would say. 

@bcb1213we have waivers before week 1?

4 hours ago, SirA1 said:

@ny92mike I'm fine with you doing what is necessary to clean things up.

We also should set a hard limit for new Shark Tank Bids or this will go into week 3.

I would suggest 11:59pm EST tomorrow 9/2 as that is about what the time frame was last year. (27th-3rd).

I'm good with this

8 hours ago, WFLukic said:

Why in the heck is Trenton Brown getting 10k?

Not many potential franchise LTs available 

4 hours ago, TedLavie said:

As for the new team sheets. I don't mind it but don't know if it's entirely necessary. I'm OK with just manually deleting bids.

As for the formula issue why is it an issue? I'm guessing you have formula that take into account only a limited amount of cells. How many? Cause I doubt we're going to have many bids left. Maybe 100ish I would say. 

No waivers before week one 

5 hours ago, TedLavie said:

We didn't have waivers before week 1 last season and I doubt it will happen again as the Tank will likely still be going on. 

I'm looking to move Dog Baldwin's contract if someone wants a draft pick next season.

He can't file retirement papers because he would lose his injury settlement money from the NFLPA. But is able to be a FA cut on 1/1/2020.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/5/15/18624899/dont-expect-official-retirement-statement-doug-baldwin-anytime-soon-seattle-seahawks-injury-payments

https://mynorthwest.com/1494455/doug-baldwin-renton-community-project/?

I know the sticklers won't allow him to be removed from a roster until he files the paperwork though.

12 minutes ago, PR said:

And you wonder why he make snide comments at you... just say... what are your needs?

I did nothing to earn the snide comments before so now I'm on a mission. Thanks for the help though bud.

There is something up with Will Richardson on my team database. He is starting rg for Jaguars but is listed as not on a team. Melvin has been also stuck in FA land but at leadt has his team listed