packers selcet mAtt leFleUr as head coah

FinneasGage

I am not opposed to keeping Philbin around. He and Rodgers have been working together for years, so I think it makes sense to keep Joe as an intermediary between him and LaFleur to try to take both parties' ideas and form a cohesive gameplan, if that makes sense.

Zook can't get canned fast enough, though. Honestly, I am growing more dismayed with every passing day that we have not fired him.

It should be encouraging that LaFleur was said to have rocked his interview, since we interviewed some pretty impressive candidates, so if he was standout by comparison then that should be a good sign. Yet it's ultimately a meaningless statement because they kinda have to say that, and there is no way to get a firsthand account that is not motivated to reaffirm that narrative.

That some folks are saying LaFleur wanting to keep Pettine around was a plus suggests (if true) that they based the decision significantly on criteria other than whatever case LaFleur made for himself anyway. I'm torn on that, personally. On one hand, I think Pettine did a real good job and should stick around rather than us mess with the development of a whole half of the roster. On the other, do you make that a requirement of a new Head Coach and in effect potentially take less qualified candidates simply for agreeing to it?

Murphy did make a good hire for Northwestern in Pat Fitzgerald. Here's hoping he did it again. I do have very mixed feelings about all this but will choose to go with... cautious optimism, for now.

But I will pretty much do a 180 if Zook isn't replaced by someone who was not part of this ST **** show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gopher Trace said:

Murphy did make a good hire for Northwestern in Pat Fitzgerald. Here's hoping he did it again. I do have very mixed feelings about all this but will choose to go with... cautious optimism, for now.

He also made a excellent hire in D!ck Biddle while he was the AD at Colgate, so hopefully now he'll be 3 for 3.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

9 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I've seen some interviews.. not an impressive speaker.  I hope his stength is in X's and O's .. can't imagine his press conferences are going to be very entertaining. 

I never thought McCarthy was that great a speaker in pressers either.

9 hours ago, SSG said:

All the  candidates were kind of bland this year IMO.  A lot of retreads that have lost a lot of football games.  In Laf they get one of the youngest candidates.  A former QB who's specialized in QBs over his coaching career.  A very smart innovative offensive mind who can challenge AR12.

And I think we can all agree this is what we needed - someone to challenge AR12 intellectually and give him a spark so our All World QB returns to form.  It will be interesting to see what kind of assistants he hires going forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

You usually don't see them walking around downtown Nashville.  I meant the singers you see in the honky tonks downtown.

Do you see barbershoppers around town?  The Barbershop Harmony Society moved their headquarters to Nashville from Kenosha a couple of years ago.

38 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Do you see barbershoppers around town?  The Barbershop Harmony Society moved their headquarters to Nashville from Kenosha a couple of years ago.

Not really.   I was working downtown all summer and don't remember seeing any.

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

This is the cleaned up version of his intro mission statement 13 years ago

THE FOUNDATION FOR THE NEW DIRECTION OF THE GREEN BAY PACKERS WILL BE CONSTRUCTED WITH THREE KEY COMPONENTS OF OBTAINING "PACKER PEOPLE," CREATING "STABLE STRUCTURE" AND CONCENTRATING ON "CHARACTER AND CHEMISTRY."

A POSITIVE ENVIRONMENT WILL BE CREATED WITH "LEADERSHIP" THAT KEEPS ITS EYE ON THE TARGET OF ESTABLISHING A CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL TEAM.

THE DIRECTION WILL BE FUELED WITH CONSTANT COMMUNICATION TO ENSURE EVERYONE IS ON BOARD. WE WILL ATTACK THE VOYAGE WITH ENERGY AND ENTHUSIASM TO OVERCOME THE OBSTACLES THAT WE WILL ENCOUNTER.

THIS VISION IS ENHANCED WITH RESOURCES AND TRADITION THAT STANDS IN THE FOREFRONT OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS.

I AM HONORED AND PRIVILEGED FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEAD THE GREEN BAY PACKERS ON A NEW JOURNEY BACK TO THE PINNACLE THAT BEARS THE NAME OF "COACH LOMBARDI

Yep ... the first version was riddled with typo's .. not sure how it ever saw the light of day.  I sure hope that LaFleur can attack the voyage with energy and enthusiasm!

When I checked my phone and saw this hire my first impression was slight disappointment because I really wanted McDaniels but the more I researched this guy I think he's the best fit for Rodgers ego. Rodgers and McDaniels could've been toxic if things went south, and keeping Pettine on the staff was thing that gave me the most comfort with this hire.

Now the challenge will be who can he can influence to join his staff being so young not knowing how many relationships he has in this business. looking forward to see how this plays out in putting his staff together.

I think the hiring of Matt LaFleur is very similar to the Bears hiring of Matt Nagy.  Their resumes are very similar.  Both are young and innovative. LaFleur coordinated for two years and called plays for one year, while Nagy coordinated for two years, and called plays for a half a season.  Nagy has proven to be a strong leader in Chicago and get them turned around in a hurry.  I guess we'll see if LaFleur can follow suit.  If he and Rodgers can hit it off there's no reason to thing the Packers can't make a playoff push next season.  We need Gute to have a top notch offseason re-stocking the talent .. if he does we could be dangerous in 2019. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the hiring of Matt LaFleur is very similar to the Bears hiring of Matt Nagy.  Their resumes are very similar.  Both are young and innovative. LaFleur coordinated for two years and called plays for one year, while Nagy coordinated for two years, and called plays for a half a season.  Nagy has proven to be a strong leader in Chicago and get them turned around in a hurry.  I guess we'll see if LaFleur can follow suit.  If he and Rodgers can hit it off there's no reason to thing the Packers can't make a playoff push next season.  We need Gute to have a top notch offseason re-stocking the talent .. if he does we could be dangerous in 2019. 

Think that’s a quality comp.

I was a little hesitant about the hire at first but the more I find out about LAF the more I like The hire. Need AR12 to buy in.