πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

Just now, MKnight82 said:

All of that is fine if you're on a rookie contract but he's about to get really expensive.Β  I don't even think he's on Dak's level and I don't think Dak is capable of winning a Super Bowl.Β Β 

Your probably right... I guess I need to say the numbers to have an idea of how far back he really will put back the Giants. If he is another $40 mil guy they are screwed for sure.

Like I said he is probably just QB purgatory. Not going to let you be absolutely terrible, but also not getting you over the hump. Keeps the Giants relevant for a bit, but mostly as a Wild Card with limited post season success. Similar to Dak, but cheaper.

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

The difference here, in case you are wondering…..again, is that when you ask Jones to throw it 30 times, he’s going to fail. In other words, Jones hasn’t proven he he can beat you with his arm. You know…the main reason one plays quarterback. Rushing should be more complimentary to a QB not the division of mediocrity and futileness as in Danny’s case.Β 

Interesting take. Before this season you could say the same about Hurts. Looks like he was like 3-7 in games where he threw 30 or more passes before 2022. So he made the jump this year.Β 

Guys I'll take over Daniel Jones next season given equal talent around them.

Hurts
Dak
Goff
Rodgers
Cousins
Brady
Murray
Stafford
Geno Smith
Allen
Tua
Lamar
Burrow
Watson
Lawrence
Mahomes
Herbert

Guys I'd put him in the mix with

Derek Carr
Andy Dalton
Ryan Tannehill
Russel Wilson (assuming he can turn things back around with Hackett gone)

So I guess you could make the argument he's a top 20 guy if you wanted. But by all means. Pay him $30+ Million a year, make my day LOL.

18 minutes ago, Danger said:

So I guess you could make the argument he's a top 20 guy if you wanted. But by all means. Pay him $30+ Million a year, make my day LOL.

I mostly agree with your list. I could squabble over a few but I've always argued Jones is somewhere in the 12-20 range depending on how much you value his rushing production and certain other stats.

I'd be fine with 30M because it would leave enough to add a stud LB in FA and skill position players. It's 35-40M that I draw the red line on Jones. I also prefer it be a bridge contract with outs for the Giants if he can't turn the corner.

You guys built up this strawman that we believe he's on Hurts level or even a franchise QB (has any Giants fan on this board even ever said close to such a thing?). Most I've seen... even the radical ones on Twitter think he did enough to warrant a second contract. Not back up the Brinks truck....

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Interesting take. Before this season you could say the same about Hurts. Looks like he was like 3-7 in games where he threw 30 or more passes before 2022. So he made the jump this year.Β 

Exactly. Hurts was borderline a starting QB last year with obvious potential for upside. I personally had my doubts he could turn the corner. He made an extreme jump. More than most anyone outside a couple big homers could see. And I’ve made that a comparison; Jones is Hurts last year. Cool to be excited about but I’m not doling out $150M to him.Β 

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'd sooner Franchise Daniel Jones than give him a long term deal.

Cap hit for the QB franchise tag is estimated to be somewhere in the 32-35M range. I'd also be ok with doing this. But... word going round is they offered Barkley 12 million during the bye week and he turned it down. He wants 16 or something close to what CMC got. The cap hit for tag on RB is 10M. So if they could get Jones signed to a multi year deal at 30M and tag Barkley they could at least keep the two biggest pieces in place for next season. If they tag Jones then SB likely playing for someone else next season.

Β 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Hurts was coming off his first year as a starter this was Jones 4th. So we are expecting that magical jump year 5?Β 

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Exactly. Hurts was borderline a starting QB last year with obvious potential for upside. I personally had my doubts he could turn the corner. He made an extreme jump. More than most anyone outside a couple big homers could see. And I’ve made that a comparison; Jones is Hurts last year. Cool to be excited about but I’m not doling out $150M to him.Β 

Why does it make the hurts believers homers? Tbh it was quite obvious that he'd take a pretty damn good jump at minimum. There's not many people built and wired like him. Has nothing to do with loving him or being blinded. He had all the skills just needed to put in serious work which he did and willing to do 24/7

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I'd be fine with 30M because it would leave enough to add a stud LB in FA and skill position players. It's 35-40M that I draw the red line on Jones. I also prefer it be a bridge contract with outs for the Giants if he can't turn the corner.

You're problem and the Giants is there is no reason fir Jones to sign a contract of that nature.

The FTag is $32M. Why would or should he sign for less then $35? Unless the guaranteed money is ridiculous?Β 

Once again it's not about what 'he's worth'" but the next man/QB up fr a contract.Β