Super Bowl LIII: Rams vs. Patriots - Poll Added!

DigInBoys

Super Bowl LIII  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• Rams
    • Patriots

22 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Took that fat L or what? Hold it

It was two seperate dreams. One the Patriots won comfortably. The other ended at half time. The score was a 0-0 and on the last play Brady was in pain on the sidelines and Goff threw a deflected pass that should have been intercepted but a Patriots players squeezed it twice and it looked like a balloon and pooped up in the air into the endzone where Drew Brees was in Rams jersey and reluctanly caught it looking SO sad. It was more of a same Bat time, same Bat channel cliffhanger. 

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

God I'm nervous. You think I wouldn't be, but here I am. I dreamnt about the game twice last night.

That's weird. I'm not nervous at all. Shouldn't it be the opposite? The Patriots have been here a million times.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

That's weird. I'm not nervous at all. Shouldn't it be the opposite? The Patriots have been here a million times.

I was honestly less nervous during the Pats first 3 Super Bowls of the 2000's, than I was with last 3. It progressively gets worse when you are thinking about how it shapes the legacy of the subject of your fandom. 2001 it was like we were playing with house money, 2003 you're thinking "cool we could do this again", 2004 you're starting to say "oh man we might have dynasty", 2007 becomes about "I really hope we pull this off it might be the greatest team of all time", then it just gets worse because you are knowing you are watching something special and wanting to see how far they can push it. 

Like to be honest in a way I envy you guys because this is just the Rams enjoying a really great season and wanting the best outcome. With us as fans we have to think about everything that came before and what we might or might not get a chance to do after and then hear all the obnoxious hyperbole around it. Like in the Brady Belichick era I have 17 years invested in watching these two show what they can do. Like if next year Brady and Belichick retired and then at some point McDaniels was the HC with some young QB and they made the Super Bowl, to me it would be more about "awesome, lets see what these guys can do". 

It's like how some Packers or Saints fans now really want Rodgers and Brees to get that one more ring. Or how maybe 49'ers fans were a bit more invested in Montana's era with all those guys becoming legends than they might have been in 2012. 

As an aside, I think the NFL does a great job of managing news cycles to keep it in the public's mind 12 months a year.   Having said that, the 2-week quest for new angles on this matchup is probably the most painful one for me - and I thought as much when DEN was in SB50 (the number of times the issue of elite D vs. elite O must have been rehashed 50x in the SB thread alone lol).   It's just hard to find a new angle to cover - I get that for most casual fans, the lead-up can provide some new info, but for the fans that are hardcore, 14 days of buildup is painfully long.   TBH, I kinda wish the NFL did their awards show on Thursday, just to take away some of the spotlight.  I get that doing it on Sat night is easiest, since the ppl are here for the game, but it would be nice to have that distraction earlier lol. 

Either way, looking forward to the game.  I would say this is a much more balanced NE team than last year - their D is playing well, and their OL has done a fantastic job of protecting Brady and establishing the run.  On the other hand, Suh/Donald are so disruptive, and the Rams O is so diverse, and McVay so imaginative and Phillips so well-versed in facing NE, that I think LAR is one of the few teams that matches up well coaching wise with the GOAT BB. 

If Gurley was healthy, I'd be comfortable forecasting a LAR W - I still have them as a 2-3 pt winner, but that's more gut feel than anything else.   Without a healthy Gurley (and I don't think he is), this is pretty much a toss-up, which is why all the betting action is going to NE - if it's close, it's hard to bet against BB & TB12.   Either way, glad that it's just over a day away - I get the media coverage really builds the hype for the casual fan and globally helps generate interest, but I'm just ready for them to play.

Archived