How Many Primetime Games Should Your Team Get in 2019?

footbull3196

Even tho we have a large following and Rodgers I'll be surprised if we get more than a couple of prime time games because of how poorly we played last year.  That wouldn't bother me.  I hate waiting all day for the game to begin.   ;)

5 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Chiefs, Steelers, Cowboys, Ravens, Eagles

I'll add to the list, Chargers, Cleveland, Green Bay Packers, Houston Texans , Minnesota Viking, Atlanta Falcons ,Indianapolis Colts.

Seattle Seahawks  Left off the list because they are boring to watch. Good team but run run run !

Damn  I forgot the Bears!

With winning the division this past year and finally having an exciting player in Lamar Jackson i'd guess probably 3-4, but we have a history of being let down when the primetime games are released so you never really know, i wouldn't be surprised if it's only 1-2.

18 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

DEN/OAK was a late week 16 season game featuring 2 teams who at that point drew no interest.  IND/TEN didn't do well either in week 17. But NE/GB did GREAT in week 9 even though GB was on their butts, but also did 10% LESS than that of the NE/KC PLAYOFF game.

We're talking about revenue, which is based on viewership. Veiwership doesn't care about the difference between casuals and die hards. If a casual just happens to be watching a game like the SF one I pointed out  earlier, they would become a fan based on how the game was played and not by record. Because most would probably not even know which team has what record in the first place. All they know is they watched a hell of a game that was exciting to them.

That's what I mean. I see no reason to not only make games accessible for the fans, but also for those who are not familiar with teh game and ultimately kill two birds with 1 stone. One way to do that would be to feature each team nearly the same amount of times on prime time. (or even more features on double headers).

It's in the best interest of ALL NFL teams that the teams that will generate the largest viewership are showcased in primetime. 

Primetime games are meant to showcase the best football the NFL has to offer, not to showcase all the different teams in the league.   Broadcasters spend billions of dollars for the rights to broadcast these games.  If the NFL goes to the networks and tell them we are going to institute a new kindergarten rule where every team is showcased the same amount of games, do you think the broadcasters are going to pay top dollar for that?  They even started flexible scheduling for SNF, just so that you get can cherry pick the best match up on Sunday night. 

That top dollar is then shared between all NFL teams.  So what benefits the bad teams the most is to actually not play in primetime. 

I know how it works. Please read the rest of the thread.

Again, I get the angle from the NFL's aspect that they have to draw in revenue by featuring high profile teams and I would have agreed to this 1000% 10 years ago. However, they can still accomplish this very same thing NOW if they featured EVERY team the same amount of times due to technological advancements. 

1 hour ago, areksoo said:

If the NFL goes to the networks and tell them we are going to institute a new kindergarten rule where every team is showcased the same amount of games, do you think the broadcasters are going to pay top dollar for that? 

Why wouldn't they? What are they going to do say no to a 15 billion dollar business that generates a 1.5B viewers a year? The people at Disney are not stupid. All networks know that if they don't pick it up then their competitors most certainly will. 

NETWORK VIEWERS (in M)
CBS 451.5
ESPN 193.3
FOX 454.2
FOX/NFLN 88.3
NBC 180.2
NFLN 45.7

1 hour ago, areksoo said:

They even started flexible scheduling for SNF, just so that you get can cherry pick the best match up on Sunday night. 

......mid-late in the season. Which I happen to like and there is no reason why they cannot keep doing this while ALSO still showcasing every team at least twice a year.

Again, they have 48 PT games out of 256 games, among 32 teams. So why are we watching MNF (who gets 17 games a year) featuring only 24 teams instead of all 32 as opposed to having to watch teams such as OAK, WAS, TEN, NYG and SF TWICE a year? It makes no sense. 

I'm not going to go any further into this. Like I said, I get the purpose of WHY they do it, but I also feel like they're stuck in their old ways at the same time and could accomplish just as much as they do now (and possibly more) if they made each team more available to both fans and others.

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I know how it works. Please read the rest of the thread.

Why wouldn't they? What are they going to do say no to a 15 billion dollar business that generates a 1.5B viewers a year? The people at Disney are not stupid. All networks know that if they don't pick it up then their competitors most certainly will. 

NETWORK VIEWERS (in M)
CBS 451.5
ESPN 193.3
FOX 454.2
FOX/NFLN 88.3
NBC 180.2
NFLN 45.7

......mid-late in the season. Which I happen to like and there is no reason why they cannot keep doing this while ALSO still showcasing every team at least twice a year.

Again, they have 48 PT games out of 256 games, among 32 teams. So why are we watching MNF (who gets 17 games a year) featuring only 24 teams instead of all 32 as opposed to having to watch teams such as OAK, WAS, TEN, NYG and SF TWICE a year? It makes no sense. 

I'm not going to go any further into this. Like I said, I get the purpose of WHY they do it, but I also feel like they're stuck in their old ways at the same time and could accomplish just as much as they do now (and possibly more) if they made each team more available to both fans and others.

I know it's just anecdotal but straight up I skip games with nobody teams in primetime slots. I'd rather do other things with my time.

If the NFL tries to feature good teams and teams that will be competing for playoff spots, they can hit it right and offer a lot of interesting primetime games, but if they just give every team multiple games, then there's gonna be a lot of games I will just never watch.

On 1/25/2019 at 7:25 PM, stl4life07 said:

If the Rams win the Superbowl, dont be surprised if the TNF game to open the season is Saints v Rams in LA. I know Saints fans will say "revenge game" but remember the Saints havent won a game Week 1 of a regular season in like 3 or 4 straight seasons. So its almost a book it Rams win if that happens.

With that being said, I think the Rams get at least 5. 

vs Saints

vs San Francisco

at Dallas

either vs Seattle or at Seattle (Im not sure where but I believe its going to be Seattle)

either vs Chicago OR at Pittsburgh (Im not sure which one but I believe its going to be one of them)

I feel like the NFL doesnt want to start the season off that way right? I'm sure the fans 100% want to see it but you think Goddell wants to hear more about that call all throughout the offseason(as he should) There will be a rematch but I cant imagine they want it week 1 regardless of the SB outcome. 

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like the NFL doesnt want to start the season off that way right? I'm sure the fans 100% want to see it but you think Goddell wants to hear more about that call all throughout the offseason(as he should) There will be a rematch but I cant imagine they want it week 1 regardless of the SB outcome. 

You are probably right. I wasn’t thinking of it like that.

Archived