NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, Danger said:
3 hours ago, RandomCampBody said:

Someone needs to explain Daniel Jones to me as i don't see it at all.

More than anything else, it's 

1. Super weak QB Class
2. Prototypical QB desirable frame
3. Teams have to this point always reached on QBs.

to add to this, hes had a really poor supporting cast for his whole career, including coaching. 

He needs refinement, but the tools are there. If he can go somewhere and sit for a year, I think he could be a pretty good QB. 

4 hours ago, Danger said:

More than anything else, it's 

1. Super weak QB Class
2. Prototypical QB desirable frame
3. Teams have to this point always reached on QBs.

I feel like this is said every year. I don't see that.

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, I like Dwayne Haskins *much* more than I liked Josh Allen, Mitch Trubisky, or Blake Bortles all of whom were top 10 picks, so I'm mostly just confused.

I would say the difference is the one year starter thing, but that was true of Trubisky too.  Personally, I like Haskins, but he would've been my fourth QB last year.  Even so, I will be flabbergasted if he goes after Lock and Jones.  Hell, if he goes after either one.

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This year it's true though.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I would say the difference is the one year starter thing, but that was true of Trubisky too.  Personally, I like Haskins, but he would've been my fourth QB last year.  Even so, I will be flabbergasted if he goes after Lock and Jones.  Hell, if he goes after either one.

This year it's true though.

No, it's not. 2013 is a year where there was actually a very weak QB class. This class is more like 2014.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No, it's not. 2013 is a year where there was actually a very weak QB class. This class is more like 2014.

2013 was total garbage, but this year is weak too.  The presumptive top overall pick is a one year starter the size of Kevin Hart.

2014 wasn't great, but it was very deep, and in my opinion, better than this year.  And hell, the best ones from that class so far are Carr, whose team is looking to replace him, and Garoppolo, who hasn't proven to be legit just yet.  Then lots of journeymen.

Just now, Daniel said:

2013 was total garbage, but this year is weak too.  The presumptive top overall pick is a one year starter the size of Kevin Hart.

2014 wasn't great, but it was very deep, and in my opinion, better than this year.  And hell, the best ones from that class so far are Carr, whose team is looking to replace him, and Garoppolo, who hasn't proven to be legit just yet.  Then lots of journeymen.

This class is deep and has four QBs in the running to go in the first round, just like 2014. Kyler Murray is about the same size as Russell Wilson. Nobody would bat an eye at Wilson having gone #1 in his class with his success. Murray either has the goods or he doesn't. The one-year starter and size arguments aren't availing. This is a risk/reward class with a lot of depth. It's at worst an average class. I hear almost every year what a bad QB class it is. It's absolutely silly to hear those comments this year.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

This class is deep and has four QBs in the running to go in the first round, just like 2014. Kyler Murray is about the same size as Russell Wilson. Nobody would bat an eye at Wilson having gone #1 in his class with his success. Murray either has the goods or he doesn't. The one-year starter and size arguments aren't availing. This is a risk/reward class with a lot of depth. It's at worst an average class. I hear almost every year what a bad QB class it is. It's absolutely silly to hear those comments this year.

There are four QBs that could go in the first, but in most opinions, there are only two or even one QB that should.  The best prospects in the class have huge red flags that aren't there for legitimate top end QB prospects.

For comparison.  2018 had three QBs I would have ranked above any QB in this class.  I'm going to guess everyone else's take on QBs was similar to mine, since I wasn't very far from consensus on most in the other years as well.

2017 had two.  2016 had just one for me, but Goff I would have probably put above everyone but Haskins in this class.  2015 had two.  2014 had one.  2013 had zero, of course, but 2012 had three, 2011 had two, and 2010 had one.

So, in the last 10 drafts, five had multiple QBs that were better than the best prospect in this class, and each year but 2013 had at least one.  That makes this a weak class.

Maybe your evaluations for this year's QBs are way higher than most, but you can't deny that objectively, at the very least, this class lacks the blue chippers that you often see at the position.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

There are four QBs that could go in the first, but in most opinions, there are only two or even one QB that shouldThe best prospects in the class have huge red flags that aren't there for legitimate top end QB prospects.

LOL. I remember hearing this same critique with the 2016 and 2017 QB Classes. All they did was produce Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Watson, Dak, and Trubisky (among others).

For comparison.  2018 had three QBs I would have ranked above any QB in this class.  I'm going to guess everyone else's take on QBs was similar to mine, since I wasn't very far from consensus on most in the other years as well.

2017 had two.  2016 had just one for me, but Goff I would have probably put above everyone but Haskins in this class.  2015 had two.  2014 had one.  2013 had zero, of course, but 2012 had three, 2011 had two, and 2010 had one.

So, in the last 10 drafts, five had multiple QBs that were better than the best prospect in this class, and each year but 2013 had at least one.  That makes this a weak class.

Maybe your evaluations for this year's QBs are way higher than most, but you can't deny that objectively, at the very least, this class lacks the blue chippers that you often see at the position.

Don't even start with "objectively." There is no "objectively." You're stating an opinion. I quite like this class. It's very deep. I am a Kyler Murray fan. I think he's worth the #1 pick. I think Haskins and Lock are both worth taking the risk/reward shot on. And I see Daniel Jones as more of a low-ceiling/high-floor type who would fit well in Washington or New York. No, I don't see a QB who is on the level of a Jared Goff or a Baker Mayfield, but I see Murray as a player on par with a Marcus Mariota.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Absolutely is the case this year. It's not said every year. Just more years than not. This year is particularly weak, probably the worst since 2013

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I know you’re joking but really reaching with the Hart comparison. Murray is 5’10” and 200lbs. Kevin Hart is 5’4” and like 145lbs. 

10 hours ago, Danger said:

Yup.

I'm going to have to disagree. You almost never see the depth of potential starters that this class has. Yes, you don't have any can't-miss guys. Instead, you have highly athletic guys with rocket arms that set the SEC single-season passing touchdown record and elevated his program despite inconsistencies. You have the reigning Heisman trophy winner with legitimate arm talent, who also is intriguing because he's probably faster than Lamar Jackson. You have an electric pocket passer who was in the Heisman discussion and took one of the most-storied programs in the history of football to a new level on offense. You have a quarterback who was trained by David Cutcliffe and is advanced in the mental aspect of the game with an ideal frame for a QB to go with good, but not great arm talent. You have a QB who took a crappy program like Northwestern to the Big Ten Championship, carrying his team while also setting the record for most consecutive starts by a FBS QB. You also have a bunch of other intriguing players. You have a guy like Ryan Finley who has fantastic accuracy and good intangibles, but the athleticism is average. You have someone like Will Grier, who was productive, has the competitive spirit and "it" factor, but there are questions about arm strength and level of competition. You have an athletic QB who has tremendous potential, having torn up the Big-12 as a freshman, then leading his team to beat undefeated Georgia and Alabama, with pretty good arm strength and fantastic accuracy, but hasn't been able to reach it consistently with a very weak offensive supporting cast and terrible play calling on offense the past year. You have a player who athletically measures like a freaking demigod, a Hercules of sorts, who many scouts liked before they saw exactly how athletically he measured, because he showed some of the best throws in college this past year while winning conference player of the year and - yes, you guessed it - took his team to new heights (the Buffalo Bulls had their first year with double digits wins in the FBS ever, and only their third winning season since 1999).

...more to he added

5 hours ago, N4L said:

to add to this, hes had a really poor supporting cast for his whole career, including coaching. 

He needs refinement, but the tools are there. If he can go somewhere and sit for a year, I think he could be a pretty good QB. 

Cutcliffe is a good coach and a great QB coach.

Archived