BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

8 hours ago, Whicker said:

Baseball conferences each send 5 teams. And it used to be 4. The NFL has long considered expanding to 7 teams per conference.

4, 5, 6, and 7 are all viable options and will all produce a deserving winner

I want 8 for at least this year, but I might vote for 6 next year.

I wouldn't vote for anything else.

32 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I get that, but I'm not necessarily suggesting realignment. In fact I'd say keep the current league structure in terms of divisions.

We don't "have" to go for realignment. It would just be more beneficial doing so going into a 6 team playoff race because the top 3 records would make it in.

I would say this how many divisions are in each conference because if the answer is 4 I would question whether or not eliminating one of the division winners from the playoffs sort of punishes them unfairly despite having been a successful division winning team. I suppose that would be my only argument against reducing it below 8 teams.

Let me hit you up with a hypothetical let's say I went .800 on the season but of my conference I was ranked fourth and therefore missed the playoffs I'm not going to lie I would be kind of upset. No I didn't run through how many games we play and all of that and How likely it would be that we'd have that many teams doing that well I'm just giving you an example.

59 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I would say this how many divisions are in each conference because if the answer is 4 I would question whether or not eliminating one of the division winners from the playoffs sort of punishes them unfairly despite having been a successful division winning team. I suppose that would be my only argument against reducing it below 8 teams.

Let me hit you up with a hypothetical let's say I went .800 on the season but of my conference I was ranked fourth and therefore missed the playoffs I'm not going to lie I would be kind of upset. No I didn't run through how many games we play and all of that and How likely it would be that we'd have that many teams doing that well I'm just giving you an example.

We currently do not have conferences. That's an idea put forth in this thread. 

We currently have four divisions with four teams each. Currently, each division winner and 4 wild cards make the playoffs. I believe we should eliminate 1-4 of those wild card spots 

45 minutes ago, Whicker said:

We currently do not have conferences. That's an idea put forth in this thread. 

We currently have four divisions with four teams each. Currently, each division winner and 4 wild cards make the playoffs. I believe we should eliminate 1-4 of those wild card spots 

Well in that case if there's only four divisions I would say 16th would be fine

Topic: 

12. Reduce the number of playoff teams

Idea submitter: Whicker

Current situation:

8 teams go into the playoffs, 4 div winners and 4 WC

Details of the idea: Reduce the number of teams in the playoffs

Argument for :  Improve reg season competitveness

Applicable on: 2019

Possible alteration: 4 teams or 6 teams

@Whicker @wwhickok @BringinDaPain @PR @pheltzbahr @Counselor @Jlash @WFLukic @MD4L @RuskieTitan @bcb1213 @Ragnarok @SwoleXmad @Hockey5djh @SirA1

Before voting on schedule reduction, we need to talk about that item first. Cause if a majority goes with a 4 playoff team, it will automatically reduce the schedule size.

I'm of the opinion we should fix the regular season first, we can re-visit playoffs if whatever we voted on for the schedule didn't work out after this season wraps.

Plus I get the argument for why we should reduce playoff teams but I feel like 50% is pretty fair playoff wise.

I’d vote for 6 teams. I’d also vote for two conferences and four divisions. Four winners of each division and third place record for each conference making the playoffs. To have half the teams make the playoffs is a bit much. Like someone else pointed out since we are half the amount of the NFL teams I think half the amount of playoff teams should match up also (being six). Top record from each conference gets a bye. The second division winner gets home field against the third place finisher to see who goes on and plays the top seed from that conference in the conference championship. Each winner of the conference championship plays in the Bizz Bowl. I’m fine leaving it as is also. But this would be my suggestion.

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I’d vote for 6 teams. I’d also vote for two conferences and four divisions. Four winners of each division and third place record for each conference making the playoffs. To have half the teams make the playoffs is a bit much. Like someone else pointed out since we are half the amount of the NFL teams I think half the amount of playoff teams should match up also (being six). Top record from each conference gets a bye. The second division winner gets home field against the third place finisher to see who goes on and plays the top seed from that conference in the conference championship. Each winner of the conference championship plays in the Bizz Bowl. I’m fine leaving it as is also. But this would be my suggestion.

Agree with the above.

14 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I'm fine with 6 teams as well.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:46 AM, SirA1 said:

It's more that any changes generally won't apply immediately so changing it now would confuse people more. That's why the wait until summer.

The 2019 offseason has to play out under the current rules for things like 3 ups because we don't retcon anything. So it will be after FA for things other than the two small changes we've made so far. 

I've said it before, I'm literally not trying to write any changes, I'm trying to add in "clarifications" or things that are not currently in the rules and/or explained well enough for the newbies. I figured an extra set of hands carrying the load wouldn't hurt.

23 hours ago, Whicker said:

My proposal is to make it where we don't have 50% of the teams make the playoffs. My proposal is that we actually have drama at the end of the year in the playoff race instead of everyone who wanted to make it making it. My proposal is that we actually have a meaningful first round of playoffs where games aren't decided before they're played.

I hate to say this, I think with 8 playoff teams more people are invested, half the league is buying, half the league is selling at the trade deadline. Half of the teams make it and feel better about themselves, half feel like Rags. Cutting the amount of teams that makes the playoff reduces the trade deadline activity, Doesn't reduce the schedule (if we go to 6 teams), and increases the amount of people that feel like Rags.

Archived