The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Ya’ll sound like ESPN right now, 

LOL I've seen us discussing things days before the 'shows' do. ESPN trolls us for ideas. You are SERIOUSLY giving ESPN too much credit. LOL

12 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

img-7668_orig.png

I’ve seen this look on Carrs face after a hit way too many times likes he almost crying. I just don’t think the guy is mentally strong enough to play QB in the NFL. 

And yeah I’d probably almost cry to but I’m not a professional football player making 20+ M. 

I'll start by saying this... I wanted to draft Carr, was thrilled when we drafted him in round 2 and have tried to be patient. But this game sealed it for me.

Let's go old school for a minute... throw out all the numbers, statistics and analytics and look at the guy on the filed. Is this guy a winner? Do you see "it" on the field with him? Do you see a fiery competitor who makes other player better around him? 

The answer is no. The guy is S.O.F.T. He's mentally soft and doesn't have any presence to him. Just a middling QB who simply cannot rise to the occasion. Did you see the teams body language today as he gave up on yet another play tossing it in the dirt when pressure came?

Gruden has made him into a system QB which will give the analytics crowd all the re-tweeted statistics to support their guy they can. Fact is, he's not the guy. He's not a gamer. He's not a leader. Gruden knows that too.

Raider fans live in fear of the past. That void of QBs since Gannon, so they don't want to admit that the future SUCKS with this guy. There is no future... Middling, .500 teams. Maybe a playoff appearance if it breaks right. But you're going NOWHERE with this guy. Period.

He's 28. 6 years in the league. He's not a playmaker. He's a game manager. Stats sheet baller, system QB who plays soft. Folds in what meaningful games he can play in.

I've seen enough. I'd rather risk it trying to find someone great than be the Bengals living with a poor mans Andy Dalton for another 5 years.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

I'll start by saying this... I wanted to draft Carr, was thrilled when we drafted him in round 2 and have tried to be patient. But this game sealed it for me.

Let's go old school for a minute... throw out all the numbers, statistics and analytics and look at the guy on the filed. Is this guy a winner? Do you see "it" on the field with him? Do you see a fiery competitor who makes other player better around him? 

The answer is no. The guy is S.O.F.T. He's mentally soft and doesn't have any presence to him. Just a middling QB who simply cannot rise to the occasion. Did you see the teams body language today as he gave up on yet another play tossing it in the dirt when pressure came?

Gruden has made him into a system QB which will give the analytics crowd all the re-tweeted statistics to support their guy they can. Fact is, he's not the guy. He's not a gamer. He's not a leader. Gruden knows that too.

Raider fans live in fear of the past. That void of QBs since Gannon, so they don't want to admit that the future SUCKS with this guy. There is no future... Middling, .500 teams. Maybe a playoff appearance if it breaks right. But you're going NOWHERE with this guy. Period.

He's 28. 6 years in the league. He's not a playmaker. He's a game manager. Stats sheet baller, system QB who plays soft. Folds in what meaningful games he can play in.

I've seen enough. I'd rather risk it trying to find someone great than be the Bengals living with a poor mans Andy Dalton for another 5 years.

I don't agree, but I am curious to see how this year plays out and the offseason as well.

I don't buy these "not a gamer" narratives though. We got embarrassed by a far more talented team that didn't make hilarious mental errors like we did. If you're talking about a "gamer"', we've squeezed nearly every win possible out of a mediocre team this year. 

Like I said, every good team has a talented roster and roster continuity. We don't have either. Lets at least get some more talent in 2020 and then we can consider using future assets to get "the guy". But at this point, there's no good reason to cut bait, unless you see a better option readily available. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Man... It's kinda hard to argue anymore.  2016 I saw the IT.  Last year was a Mulligan.  This year.. not all on him, but he's broke. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

"bUt hiS coMpletiON percEntaGe!!"

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Jacobs would still be running... Happy feet back there with no poise hopping around like a bunny because his first read was covered. 

So frustrating. He can't read the field. I hope Gruden is just saying the right thing to the media and doesn't want to throw him under the bus

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Jacobs would still be running... Happy feet back there with no poise hopping around like a bunny because his first read was covered. 

What are you talking about? Have you seen the all-22 of this play. Romo showed it. He's looking downfield and there's absolutely no one open. If he checked down, you'd call him a checkdown qb. There really is no winning with some of yall.

He played bad today. But you don't lose 40-9 because of one player. If it was because of DC, it would actually be easier to stomach. That would mean a pretty quick fix. Just find a qb.

This roster is at least a year away. We aren't good enough in any phase to compete with KC. I mean, how many of yall thought we'd be 6-6 at this point? If we clearly were good enough and dropped the ball, I'd understand the frustration. I'd also be livid. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't buy these "not a gamer" narratives though. We got embarrassed by a far more talented team that didn't make hilarious mental errors like we did. If you're talking about a "gamer"', we've squeezed nearly every win possible out of a mediocre team this year. 

It's not just "one game". He's been up and down and doesn't fair well against good teams. The wins they've squeezed out are more on the legs of Josh Jacobs than anything Carr has done. He's had his moments, but he's not consistent and folds in big games.

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Like I said, every good team has a talented roster and roster continuity. We don't have either. Lets at least get some more talent in 2020 and then we can consider using future assets to get "the guy".

Yes, yes... the Carr needs elite WRs, a terrific Oline, a great defense, expert play calling and the weather to be at least 70 degrees and sunny to be great excuse. 

I'm tired of it. Winners, win and they lead. Carr is NOT a winner. He's a glorified game manager who spooks easily when it doesn't go right. When has he fought back in a game they were down early in? When has he shouldered the team and looked like a winner?

21 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

But at this point, there's no good reason to cut bait, unless you see a better option readily available. 

There is actually. Your QB isn't a winner and is taking you no place.

You don't have to cut bait, keep him while you find his replacement. Draft early and often and find a QB who is a winner, period. Draft a QB early and see what kind of competitor he is when he's not guaranteed the job. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They dont see it. We will keep changing personal and coaches and still blame his surroundings. He had a good running game and wrs in 2016. Didnt beat one playoff team that year and got embarrassed by kc. 

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

What are you talking about? Have you seen the all-22 of this play. Romo showed it. He's looking downfield and there's absolutely no one open. If he checked down, you'd call him a checkdown qb. There really is no winning with some of yall.

Yeah, saw the play and saw Jacobs wide open with room to run for days. 

He played bad today. But you don't lose 40-9 because of one player. If it was because of DC, it would actually be easier to stomach. That would mean a pretty quick fix. Just find a qb.

He gave them 7 points right off the bat with a terrible INT. Then gets down 14 and stares down a slat route that's picked for 6. But yes, it's a team game and it's not all on him. But I've seen enough in year 6 to say he 'aint it. This was a game he needed to rise to the occasion and he wilted, predictably once again.

This roster is at least a year away. We aren't good enough in any phase to compete with KC. I mean, how many of yall thought we'd be 6-6 at this point? If we clearly were good enough and dropped the ball, I'd understand the frustration. I'd also be livid. 

Fact... almost everyone said this is a make or break season for Carr in 2019. Does Derek Carr get fans excited for Vegas? HELL NO. 

With more talent, etc. Can anyone confidently tell me that you believe Derek Carr can carry this team in the playoffs? That he can go toe to toe with Mahomes, Watson, etc. in the AFC and carry his squad to a Championship?

Just now, big_palooka said:

It's not just "one game". He's been up and down and doesn't fair well against good teams. The wins they've squeezed out are more on the legs of Josh Jacobs than anything Carr has done. He's had his moments, but he's not consistent and folds in big games.Yes, yes... the Carr needs elite WRs, a terrific Oline, a great defense, expert play calling and the weather to be at least 70 degrees and sunny to be great excuse. 

Another tired argument. We don't NEED all those things. We have a mediocre defense and bottom 5 receiver group. I'm not saying we need julio jones, deandre hopkins, and michael thomas. Considering the fact that we're 6-6, we're overachieving. It's pretty good. We just need some respectable talent at WR and to continue to build a defense. Gruden knew this. That's why the loss of AB was so big in terms of the coverage and looks the rest of the offense got. Good teams generally have good receivers, a good OL, and a good defense. Look at the 49ers. They are a top 5 team and have all of those things. Prior to this year, they were hovering in the 3-5 win range. They put it all together and look at them now.

I'm tired of it. Winners, win and they lead. Carr is NOT a winner. He's a glorified game manager who spooks easily when it doesn't go right. When has he fought back in a game they were down early in? When has he shouldered the team and looked like a winner?

I'm also tired of losing. But I also don't see this logic?

"Fight back in a game we were down early in"? Don't you understand? This is a limited offense. I said that prior to this week. We don't have the personnel to get into shootouts. We have a bottom 5 receiver group. It's the reason Gruden calls plays like he does.

There is actually. Your QB isn't a winner and is taking you no place.

Please don't use the qb winz argument. I'm dumber for hearing it. We literally haven't fielded a defense ranked 16th or above ONCE in Carr's tenure. But qb winz right?

Again, I don't see what it has to do with being a competitor. I've never watched him and thought "man this guy just quits". It's a tired narrative. Sounds like an appeal to emotion.

You don't have to cut bait, keep him while you find his replacement. Draft early and often and find a QB who is a winner, period. Draft a QB early and see what kind of competitor he is when he's not guaranteed the job. 

Again, this "winner" argument is a plea to emotion. A lot of winners in college haven't been good NFL quarterbacks. Gruden are Mayock are smarter than both of us. I trust what they will or won't do. And I'm also confident that we'll play well in the next 3-4 weeks and give ourselves a chance.

• Like 1