Browns RB Duke Johnson requests trade

RaidersAreOne

On 4/3/2019 at 12:49 AM, NateDawg said:

You take too much offense to the opinions of unpaid internet football scouts.  Based on this snippet alone, I can only assume you are a very agitated person in your real life world.  Wow dude. 

is that a brian russell avy?

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Duke should be careful what he asks for...things could be much worse than being a backup on the Browns, who look to actually be going somewhere next year. 

After all, he could be traded to the Steelers....Yikes! :P

I mean, I don't really blame him to be concerned about how much playing time he'll get behind Chubb and Kareem.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:19 PM, EL Guapo said:

Maybe the Colts can use him. I don't know remember who they have with Mack

They have a very promising young back behind Mack name Nyheim Hines. Would probably be a good battle for the 2nd spot

On 4/2/2019 at 4:21 PM, Rockice_8 said:

RB value vs LB value in a passing league for me.  It's close, yes Duke is the better player for his position but ee has more value I think because of the position.  A LB that can cover is highly sought after these days.  Duke is really good but limited in that you kind of know what he is going to do when on the field.  He isn't getting many inside runs.

Lee finally quietly had a really solid season in coverage last year as per PFF standards despite the slow start to his career.

It's close so in the real world yes that would probably be a fair trade straight up.

I respect your point of view...I piggy back on the point you made about this being a "Passing League" .....I would argue Duke Johnson is a top 3 pass catching back out of the backfield..and with a 2nd year QB, he would be extremely valuable...teaming with Bell to provide what might be the best pass catching RB duo in the NFL. And I know you may not think that he is getting many inside runs...and let me be clear, Duke Johnson can RUN the football.....just because the coaches in Cleveland never used him...dosent mean the skills are not there. I feel because he is so good as a pass catching option out of the backfield, his running skills get overlooked...Johnson has average under 4.0 YPC only once in his life.....and that was his rookie year, with a bad Oline (other than Joe Thomas)....Duke Johnson is the University Miami's all time leading rusher...and after his rookie year in the NFL he has averaged 4.2, 4.9 and 5.0 YPC (on 195 carries over the past 3 seasons). I feel D.J can be an everydown back if given the opportunity.

I acknowledge that Lee is a former first round pick and he looks like his play is ascending.....

With all that said...I'd agree with you...make the deal straight up and we both walk away feeling solid, getting a good asset in exchange for a good asset. Nobody feeling like they won or lost.

7 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I would argue Duke Johnson is a top 3 pass catching back out of the backfield

Incorrect. Kamara, Gurley, Bell, McCaffrey are the top four. This is not a debatable position.

No one thinks duke is a bad player, but I think browns fans have overvalued him. His salary this year is reasonable, but the subsequent two years are a lot more than teams shown they are willing to pay for a rotational running back, considering the rookie wage scale. 

If he was making 1 million a year? I would expect the browns to get a 5th for him. With his contract I doubt they get more than a future pick swap, if they even trade him. 

The first line is a fact, the rest is just my opinion

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Incorrect. Kamara, Gurley, Bell, McCaffrey are the top four. This is not a debatable position.

No one thinks duke is a bad player, but I think browns fans have overvalued him. His salary this year is reasonable, but the subsequent two years are a lot more than teams shown they are willing to pay for a rotational running back, considering the rookie wage scale. 

If he was making 1 million a year? I would expect the browns to get a 5th for him. With his contract I doubt they get more than a future pick swap, if they even trade him. 

We got a 5th for hyde and Duke is a much better player than him. I think we should be not do anything less than a 4th.

Also I think duke could shift to slot receiver and be excellent.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Don't  actually  understand the fit with NY because  there is Zero reason  outside of Injury to ever NOT have Bell on the field for 3rd downs?

Not unless the plan is for one to motion to or play the slot?

Because we have Bell and Crowder, Duke’s value to the Jets is not as high as his value to other teams.

He essentially would be backing up both those guys. 

Guving Bell’s and Crowders’ injury history, I wouldn’t mind if the Jets get in on him. We could use as much talent as we can get.

A Lee for Duke trade makes sense. Both are good at one aspect of their position. Lee in coverage and Duke as a pass catcher. 

13 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

We got a 5th for hyde and Duke is a much better player than him. I think we should be not do anything less than a 4th.

Also I think duke could shift to slot receiver and be excellent.

that was a little different though, it was during the season when the Jags still thought that they were a superbowl team. They are a ground and pound, ball control offense who didn't have a power back and felt like they needed to get someone to help them make the playoffs. 

Any team that needs a running back right now can go draft one or sign one for significantly cheaper than what duke can offer them right now. 

Basically, I think the browns did great with the hyde trade and should not use that as a barometer for other deals.

I just don't think Duke will have a big market for him, even though he is a better player than hyde. 

54 minutes ago, N4L said:

All those players Are not 3rd down backs...they are Bell Cow/leading backs.....and you also forgot to add David Johnson....Please see my original post.....(my apologies for not restating the original point in the quoted post)

On 4/2/2019 at 4:04 PM, DaWg_LB. said:

I might disagree with your assessment of Lee vs. Johnson's value.  Duke Johnson is one of the Top 5 3rd down backs (and I would argue top 3) in the NFL. Lee is not a top 5 ILB\OLB\Nickel LB in the league at this point.

I also think, because of our miss use\Lack of use of him...I think he is Undervalued.....Duke Johnson didn't become The Hurricanes leading rusher over the likes of Otis Anderson, Eddgerin James, Mark Walton, Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee....by only catching the ball.

The first line is fact...its just facts not related to my original statement.

But I respect your opinion and points of view.

Humbly Submitted DaWg_Lb.

Archived