Playstation 5

showtime

On 6/29/2021 at 1:34 PM, MikeT14 said:

Agreed on the dealbreaker part. The QLED I got is 2.1/120 Hz so that helps. I am 100% scared of burn out which is why I didn't get OLED.

For a serious investment, I agree. But for anyone spending less than $1000, I don't think it's necessary. How many games are actually supporting 4k/120FPS right now anyway? That's a tall order to hit, especially as this next gen continues to unravel and games start becoming developed for it. I'd expect most games to be 4k/60 going forward, which HDMI 2.0 handles just fine.

8 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

For a serious investment, I agree. But for anyone spending less than $1000, I don't think it's necessary. How many games are actually supporting 4k/120FPS right now anyway? That's a tall order to hit, especially as this next gen continues to unravel and games start becoming developed for it. I'd expect most games to be 4k/60 going forward, which HDMI 2.0 handles just fine.

Certain multiplayer games are doing it and there are boosts of last gen games, like I know on the Xbox side the Halo mp will be and I think some others are already 120, and the FPS boosted some games up to it. Or got updated, like Ori got a 120 update at launch.

But yeah it’s not a necessity unless you are big on multiplayer, side scrollers or just want to future proof a bit. 

A lot of these games do have performance modes though so I guess it’s more viable.

15 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

I really think once games are fully developed for next gen and not trying to still work on the old gen, we will see 120 FPS pretty regularly.

But yes, at the moment HDMI 2.1 is just future-proofing. 

• 2 weeks later...

So am I able to want it badly enough yet? 

I still can't find one. Every time I actually happen to notice before hand a time where they're being actively restocked, it gets sold out before I can secure one. Yes I'm presigning in and entering payment info before hand.

23 minutes ago, Danger said:

I still can't find one. Every time I actually happen to notice before hand a time where they're being actively restocked, it gets sold out before I can secure one. Yes I'm presigning in and entering payment info before hand.

I'm not sure every website does this, but the way I finally wanted it bad enough and got it was when it went live and I added it to my wish list on Amazon and it got through that way. Saw the tip on Twitter.

18 hours ago, Danger said:

Every time I feel remotely compelled to look for a PS5, I ask myself "why?", and I honestly cant think of a great reason to own one at this point.

I feel like the shortage itself creates more demand, if only because many people just want to say "I own a PS5".

I mean....is there even a must own, true next gen game out yet, or even on the near horizon?    Seems like every single current or near upcoming game is a dual gen release.

Hell, even my two most anticipated "next gen games" (Horizon FW and GoW Ragnarok) arent even TRUE next gen games, and they are probably both at least a year off.

Not knocking people for wanting it....I just dont see why its such a hot commodity outside of being able to say "I have one".

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Not knocking people for wanting it....I just dont see why its such a hot commodity outside of being able to say "I have one".

It just depends how much you value the resolution/framerate bump, fast loading times, and the new controller. 

Anything below 60 FPS is unplayable for me, so it is well worth it to me.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Every time I feel remotely compelled to look for a PS5, I ask myself "why?", and I honestly cant think of a great reason to own one at this point.

I feel like the shortage itself creates more demand, if only because many people just want to say "I own a PS5".

I mean....is there even a must own, true next gen game out yet, or even on the near horizon?    Seems like every single current or near upcoming game is a dual gen release.

Hell, even my two most anticipated "next gen games" (Horizon FW and GoW Ragnarok) arent even TRUE next gen games, and they are probably both at least a year off.

Not really one game no, right now it’s more of an all around uplift on games you’re getting. Quality of life stuff. Like the near instant loading can really change things for certain games. Faster and stable frame rates make everything feel better. Then on top of it certain games put in the effort for better systems for the next gen versions or better textures.

But going into next year no, doesn’t seem like there is a must with PlayStation. I’m sure there will be some nice tweaks for next gen with Horizon and GOW, but yeah them being crossgen you can feasibly stay with the PS4 if you want. 

Kind of a personal preference.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

It just depends how much you value the resolution/framerate bump, fast loading times, and the new controller. 

Anything below 60 FPS is unplayable for me, so it is well worth it to me.

biggest reason I want the next gen consoles sooner is because of load times.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Not really one game no, right now it’s more of an all around uplift on games you’re getting. Quality of life stuff. Like the near instant loading can really change things for certain games. Faster and stable frame rates make everything feel better. Then on top of it certain games put in the effort for better systems for the next gen versions or better textures.

But going into next year no, doesn’t seem like there is a must with PlayStation. I’m sure there will be some nice tweaks for next gen with Horizon and GOW, but yeah them being crossgen you can feasibly stay with the PS4 if you want. 

This has been my biggest plus.  I'm actually surprisingly pleased with my PS5, given how little has come out for it.  I got my PS4 on release day, and just rode it up until I got my PS5 in November.  I skipped the whole half gen of the pro, so the jump just in the visuals has been pretty solid, even on just standard PS4 games.  The Next Gen uprades have been a huge plus.  The load times have been an amazing quality of life improvement that I really didn't even think I needed.  It's awesome just jumping in and out of games. 

I don't know.  I'm really happy with mine.  I'm a casual, almost exclusively, offline gamer, in my 30's.  I'm career oriented, with a family.  The vast majority of people, in my personal life, wouldn't even know I have a PS5.  Having it just to be able to say "I have one" isn't even something that registers on my radar.  I'm genuinely pleased with it, and looking forward to developers fully diving into this gen.  Definitely not necessary, but for someone that jumped from OG PS4, absolutely worth it.  If you made the "Pro" jump midway through, or also have a gaming PC, there probably isn't a ton of value for you to move from last gen yet, but for someone like me, there has been value.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I get there are perks.   And if you can get one and want it....so be it.

I just dont see any of that making it a "must own" RIGHT NOW.   I want one eventually, but even if I had a chance right now, Id probably pass because I have a PS4 Pro and a good gaming computer that can still run almost every game out on good settings.

As you said, its personal preference.    Ive honestly never understood getting a new console immediately....but especially with the PS5/Series X.    Taking too long to really establish itself.

• Like 1