2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

uh huh....

You do realize it was easily his best game as a Minnesota Viking?  Easily the biggest impact he has made on key plays that were not just in the place at the right time like the Chicago game, yeah that was kind of the case in that game.  Great game by him against the Falcons though and very important to the overall success, played with good energy also and was very key to their overall coverage in general.  Really stood out and was great to see.  Which is why I had high expectations for him, they need him to be great not some damn average safety.   Especially with Rhodes getting slightly injured in this game, Waynes being beat a few times and Alexander being out with injury, Hughes being out with injury and Hill being suspended.  They better get elite safety play out of not only Harrison Smith but also Harris and I was very glad to see him do well.  

Sorry that for most on here, Anthony Harris never existed till he was drafted in the NFL.  You had no idea who he was or what kind of player he was before he was drafted.  So I should just pretend I am in the same boat that, a UDFA player no one knows is now a starter, sure sounds like a great story.  Sorry, expected more and glad to get more from him, he had such a great game and again the best of his career.

Oh and you want to just bring up bragging points do you?  Anthony Barr was rushed on the edge multiple times in the game and had arguably one of the best pass rushing games of his career easily.  I said they should do that in the off season, so I should bring that up and throw it around as something?  That the thing to do here?

Ok, who stood out as a safety prospect this last weekend in college football?  You have any idea?  No, because you do not care because players do not exist until they get drafted apparently.  Have fun with that and enjoy then.

For god sake. This is the NFL. Once a player is on a pro team the ONLY thing that matters is is performance as a pro. 

I’m glad you like scouting. Your evaluation, along with every other scout’s, has little to no value on a player by player basis. In fact, you should be patting yourself on the back for having a higher grade on him than every other NFL team because he is proving you right.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sorry that for most on here, Anthony Harris never existed till he was drafted in the NFL.  You had no idea who he was or what kind of player he was before he was drafted.  So I should just pretend I am in the same boat that, a UDFA player no one knows is now a starter, sure sounds like a great story.  Sorry, expected more and glad to get more from him, he had such a great game and again the best of his career.

I don’t watch college football but I’d heard good things about Harris coming into the 2015 draft. 

He’s played really well in the NFL even before today, especially in coverage. I don’t think he’s an elite player but he’s a plus for the defense, and he’s actually a better fit for the scheme than Sendejo (because he allows Smith to play in the box).

I’ve been banging the drum for Harris from way back when. Some of my previous comments:

May 2016:

Harris was pretty good last year, in his limited opportunity. Depending on what Kearse can do, he might be the only safety on the team aside from Smith who can reliably play deep coverage. I think they’ll keep him.

July 2018:

Harris is a better player now than Sendejo was at the same age and level of experience. Harris was projected to be a 3rd or 4th round pick in the draft but went undrafted (in 2015, as did Sendejo in 2010) because of size concerns, but he’s gained some weight and has held up physically in the NFL. He’s started games in each of the last 3 years and has played well throughout. He made a couple of impact plays last year: the forced fumble at the goalline that turned momentum in the Rams game, and the 3rd down short yardage run stop on Kamara in the last minute that forced a FG and left enough time on the clock for Diggs’ miracle.

The Vikings saw the need to replace their DT depth coming, and drafted Jaleel Johnson last year and Jalyn Holmes this year, both with early 4th round picks. By contrast, they haven’t done much of anything to add safety depth since Harris arrived in 2015, despite the fact that Sendejo turns 31 as the season opens this year and is coming off a concussion.

I think the team is projecting Harris as Sendejo’s eventual replacement. I expect he’ll start to rotate in more often this year, even with Sendejo healthy, and may even end up as the full time starter later in the year.

Harris will be an RFA next year so the Vikings won’t need to pay much in order to keep him. There’s no way they should let him go. The whole point of drafting (or signing UDFAs) and developing is that you let 30+ year old solid-but-not-spectacular players like Sendejo go, and replace them with younger players just coming into their prime.

June 2019:

Harris has been really good. The only reason he hasn’t played more is that he was behind Sendejo until last year, there’s no doubting the quality of his play.

Harris will only get one bite at the apple for a long-term contract — he’s already 28. If the Vikings don’t extend him this year, and he has another good year, he’ll very likely test the market.

I think they should sign him, and I expect they’ll work something out this summer.

Still think they should’ve extended Harris this summer. He’s going to get a solid UFA deal next year and they’ll struggle to match. 

Main point though is that Harris was one of the brightest spots on the defense last year (along with Hunter, Smith and Alexander). It shouldn’t be a surprise that he was so good today, but it’s still very nice to see. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You do realize it was easily his best game as a Minnesota Viking?  Easily the biggest impact he has made on key plays that were not just in the place at the right time like the Chicago game, yeah that was kind of the case in that game.  Great game by him against the Falcons though and very important to the overall success, played with good energy also and was very key to their overall coverage in general.  Really stood out and was great to see.  Which is why I had high expectations for him, they need him to be great not some damn average safety.   Especially with Rhodes getting slightly injured in this game, Waynes being beat a few times and Alexander being out with injury, Hughes being out with injury and Hill being suspended.  They better get elite safety play out of not only Harrison Smith but also Harris and I was very glad to see him do well.  

Oh and you want to just bring up bragging points do you?  Anthony Barr was rushed on the edge multiple times in the game and had arguably one of the best pass rushing games of his career easily.  I said they should do that in the off season, so I should bring that up and throw it around as something?  That the thing to do here?

Ok, who stood out as a safety prospect this last weekend in college football?  You have any idea?  No, because you do not care because players do not exist until they get drafted apparently.  Have fun with that and enjoy then.

Why are your feathers ruffled?  No one has attacked you.  We are simply disagreeing on what the standard for "impactful"  should be.

yeah as much as it sucks that alexander got injured (especially since hughes isn't back yet), an elbow injury is much preferred to any kind of lower body injury. when he returns he might struggle a bit with tackling, hand battles with receivers, etc. but his movement ability and conditioning shouldn't be affected.