1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

I am still not 100% on board, but I really want to see him get on the field.  See what he really has in a couple of preseason games, and see where he ends up on the depth chart.

He's EDGE4 at best right now.  Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith are your starting EDGE.  Kyler Fackrell gets the first crack at EDGE3.  Realistically, he could get ~40% of the defensive snaps next year.  Give me that and 6-8 sacks and I'm pleased.

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

this is gute's justin harrell. it's okay every good GM has one of those 

GB really trusting Montgomery the DL coach. i trust him but this is quite the project. i think Gary is soft 

What makes you believe this kid is the second coming of Justin Harrell?  Why do you think he is soft?   I don't really have an opinion of him because I don't know anything about him or really watched him play in college.  Most of these kids getting drafted this week may possibly be busts.  The draft is the ultimate crap shoot.  I for one will wait until I see him in pads in the NFL before I declare him a mistake by Gute.

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Acrid Josher said:

Maybe I'm missing some sarcasm here? I don't see how this shows anything but intelligence.

Gary's mother, Jennifer Coney-Shepherd, is the president of the five-person agency. Is she qualified or is she controlling her son and his money? ACTUAL Agent Ian Clarke is happy to lend a hand of course. Who is Dante Simpson? This article gave me the feeling he is a yes man parasite who uses Rashan. They probably all are. Some of this article just set off a red flag for me with Gary. Is he focused on football and does he have the right people around him? He hasn't signed a single professional contract himself and he's trying to get people to sign with his sports agency, which he has named after himself, and his agent (guaranteed yes man) won't publicly discuss what his business model is. IDK. I'd love to hear his mothers background because I'd love to hear that she's legit and this isn't going to be Trent Richardson.

"This predates all of us," said Dante Simpson, who heads marketing and branding for the agency. "Ian didn't pitch this. I didn't pitch this. He and his mother talked to other agents and marketing folks about this vision. He went after the talent he wanted to secure to be the first to do this." 

While Gary is focused on running and lifting, he did get former Bowling Green defensive back Montre Gregory to sign with his agency .

"Rashan recognized his talent," Simpson said.

"Rashan Gary Sports is set up for players to take ownership of their intellectual property," Clarke said. "Our model, which we'd rather keep quiet for now, helps players with their finances on the front end."

The agency has just two clients, Gary and Gregory, but plans to have more NFL players in the future while also competing for business with agents in other sports.

IDK man. Sounds like a scam. I hate scams/spam/thieves. I'd feel for the kid if he struggles because someone got him early and told him his crap don't stink. 

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's EDGE4 at best right now.  Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith are your starting EDGE.  Kyler Fackrell gets the first crack at EDGE3.  Realistically, he could get ~40% of the defensive snaps next year.  Give me that and 6-8 sacks and I'm pleased.

lol classic Cwood.

If he's Edge4 he ain't gonna work out.  Fortunately Za'Darius and Gary are both less edges and more DE/DT hybrids.

Gary and Preston should be the edge playmakers, with Z being the rotational rusher on the DL.  Fackrell is probably a bench guy or maybe some ILB.

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

Gary's mother, Jennifer Coney-Shepherd, is the president of the five-person agency. Is she qualified or is she controlling her son and his money? ACTUAL Agent Ian Clarke is happy to lend a hand of course. Who is Dante Simpson? This article gave me the feeling he is a yes man parasite who uses Rashan. They probably all are. Some of this article just set off a red flag for me with Gary. Is he focused on football and does he have the right people around him? He hasn't signed a single professional contract himself and he's trying to get people to sign with his sports agency, which he has named after himself, and his agent (guaranteed yes man) won't publicly discuss what his business model is. IDK. I'd love to hear his mothers background because I'd love to hear that she's legit and this isn't going to be Trent Richardson.

"This predates all of us," said Dante Simpson, who heads marketing and branding for the agency. "Ian didn't pitch this. I didn't pitch this. He and his mother talked to other agents and marketing folks about this vision. He went after the talent he wanted to secure to be the first to do this." 

While Gary is focused on running and lifting, he did get former Bowling Green defensive back Montre Gregory to sign with his agency .

"Rashan recognized his talent," Simpson said.

"Rashan Gary Sports is set up for players to take ownership of their intellectual property," Clarke said. "Our model, which we'd rather keep quiet for now, helps players with their finances on the front end."

The agency has just two clients, Gary and Gregory, but plans to have more NFL players in the future while also competing for business with agents in other sports.

IDK man. Sounds like a scam. I hate scams/spam/thieves. I'd feel for the kid if he struggles because someone got him early and told him his crap don't stink. 

oh yeah, this sounds like one of those predatory loan scam things. Derek Fisher style. 

I mean, I won't judge him until things go south, that's just always what these ventures sound like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

lol classic Cwood.

If he's Edge4 he ain't gonna work out.  Fortunately Za'Darius and Gary are both less edges and more DE/DT hybrids.

Gary and Preston should be the edge playmakers, with Z being the rotational rusher on the DL.  Fackrell is probably a bench guy or maybe some ILB.

If this were McCarthy's team, he absolutely would be Edge4 until he succeeds or Fackrell fails. We'll have to wait to see how LaFleur/Pettine handle it, but sometimes NFL players have to earn their time, even if they're top draft picks. Even if they're clearly more talented. 

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

EDGE4 is not something I really want to spend #12 on. Hopefully he picks it up in a year or two.

1 minute ago, HyponGrey said:

EDGE4 is not something I really want to spend #12 on. Hopefully he picks it up in a year or two.

Depth depth depth depth. Can't have enough pass rushers, he will be on the field often all around the line. Labeling him anything right now is pointless imo.

38 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A thought occurs.

Before the draft a lot of people thought that the 2 FRPs meant that since you already got a player at 12, you could make a "home run swing" with the later first.  So what's the difference between this approach and just taking the home run swing at 12?  I mean, the upside is higher if this one hits.

And stings more if it doesn't. We went high floor (insert LeFleur pun here) with FRP2, and it feels flat.

3 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Depth depth depth depth. Can't have enough pass rushers, he will be on the field often all around the line. Labeling him anything right now is pointless imo.

A top 15 pick on depth depth depth depth is a fail fail fail fail unless he grows into something more. He will get that chance, and there is a lot of optimism to be had that he can.

Edited by HyponGrey

5 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

If this were McCarthy's team, he absolutely would be Edge4 until he succeeds or Fackrell fails. We'll have to wait to see how LaFleur/Pettine handle it, but sometimes NFL players have to earn their time, even if they're top draft picks. Even if they're clearly more talented. 

yeah, again.  No more packer people.  Put the #12 pick out there until he falls on his face and shows he can't improve snap to snap anymore.

Thinking Gary is anything but a starting edge/DL at this point is silly.  He has to play.

Just now, HyponGrey said:

A top 15 pick on depth depth depth depth is a fail fail fail fail unless he grows into something more. He will get that chance, and there is a lot of optimism to be had.

Nothing wrong with him being pegged at four right now. He’ll get plenty of reps throughout the year. 

6 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Most rookies don't do much of anything, regardless of how high they were picked. Not the end of the world if he is EDGE4 in Y1. I don't think CWood is saying that's all he will ever be.