1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

more likely DROY: Gary or Savage?

Savage, will have more flashy plays to garner the attention. 

Similar to how Jaire was seen by quite a few to be the defensive mvp last year when I really believe it was Clark and will be for multiple years. 

4 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

So where did the “he lacks effort” stuff come from? Looking at his tape I don’t see it.

Outta thin air tbh. Lot of people are guilty of box score scouting in regards to Gary because they certainly didnt watch him play. 

EDIT - Guilty. I blame my phone.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HyponGrey said:

Only 15 of 200+ rookies get taken in the top 15. You typically want production off the bat in that spot, and there is reason to believe you CAN get that when you pick that high. I don't hate the pick, just saying it would've been hard for me to hand that card in figuring the kid as my 4th option. The value doesn't scream at me.

Sure, it's not ideal, but you still get some guys like JPP and Brandon Graham that play fewer snaps in Y1 and end up being pretty good. 

And regardless of how many snaps they play, the majority of players, even in the top-15, grade poorly in Y1. 

1 hour ago, ChaRisMa said:

Gary's mother, Jennifer Coney-Shepherd, is the president of the five-person agency. Is she qualified or is she controlling her son and his money? ACTUAL Agent Ian Clarke is happy to lend a hand of course. Who is Dante Simpson? This article gave me the feeling he is a yes man parasite who uses Rashan. They probably all are. Some of this article just set off a red flag for me with Gary. Is he focused on football and does he have the right people around him? He hasn't signed a single professional contract himself and he's trying to get people to sign with his sports agency, which he has named after himself, and his agent (guaranteed yes man) won't publicly discuss what his business model is. IDK. I'd love to hear his mothers background because I'd love to hear that she's legit and this isn't going to be Trent Richardson.

"This predates all of us," said Dante Simpson, who heads marketing and branding for the agency. "Ian didn't pitch this. I didn't pitch this. He and his mother talked to other agents and marketing folks about this vision. He went after the talent he wanted to secure to be the first to do this." 

While Gary is focused on running and lifting, he did get former Bowling Green defensive back Montre Gregory to sign with his agency .

"Rashan recognized his talent," Simpson said.

"Rashan Gary Sports is set up for players to take ownership of their intellectual property," Clarke said. "Our model, which we'd rather keep quiet for now, helps players with their finances on the front end."

The agency has just two clients, Gary and Gregory, but plans to have more NFL players in the future while also competing for business with agents in other sports.

IDK man. Sounds like a scam. I hate scams/spam/thieves. I'd feel for the kid if he struggles because someone got him early and told him his crap don't stink. 

I think you're reading way more into the article than is there- at the very least you've chosen an extremely pessimistic take based on the raw prose we both read. Just because you don't know who some of the people in his life are don't mean they are bad influences.

If anything the article you linked gave me the impression he's got a good head on his shoulders. You know what is more of a scam? Giving a professional agent a traditional cut of a rookie contract that is all-but-set by the CBA rookie-payscale.

As far as the 'concentrated on football or..." narrative, I don't tend to buy that in most cases. Look how far this young man has gotten in football at this point in his life. Further than almost anyone else in his peer group. Saying these guys should be machines that have no life outside football isn't healthy and doesn't necessarily make better football players.

Edited by Acrid Josher
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I feel like "why wasn't he better... we dunno" isn't really a strong argument.  Like that line of argument seems to be applicable to literally every talented athlete who does not meet production metrics,  assuredly some of which will succeed.

So I went to the DL day at the combine and got to watch Gary work out in person.  He is every bit the athlete you've heard.  The guy just moves differently than other top players.  I thought he moved better than Sweat, Burns, and a few others considering his size.  So I like the pick from that point.

Also, I dare him to be lazy with Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark around.  They will light him up.  So I do think that will really help his development.

However, you can only motivate a guy so much if he isn't self-motivated and that's my concern.  I don't know if he has that inner fire to make the most out of his talent.  

Very high ceiling, deep deep floor.  I personally would have preferred OL at 12.  Everyone but Jonah was available.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-film-room-rashan-gary

What others have been saying: best NFL position might be inside.

Gary is probably more Ed Oliver projection than any of the other EDGE in the class.

Oliver: 6'2", 287, 31.75" ARM, 9.25" HAND, 32 BENCH, 36" VERT, 120" BJ, 4.73 40, 7.15 3C, 4.22 SHUTTLE

Gary: 6'4", 277, 34.1" ARM, 9.6" HAND, 26 BENCH, 38" VERT, 120" BJ, 4.58 40, 7.26 3C, 4.29 SHUTTLE

Gary is lengthier, more slender, more linearly explosive

Oliver is more compact with likely better flexion

From what I can tell, Gary CUT weight at Michigan (he played nearer 300 in high school). If he gets back up to 290 of NFL man-weight, I like his projection to 3,4,5T a lot more than his projection at EDGE. The #1 position I wanted in this draft was a pass-rushing IDL. I'm super excited if that's how the staff projects Gary (vs EDGE4).

If we nab another 'pure' EDGE tomorrow, that might indicate Gary is projected more inside...

• Like 1

I think Gary is coming into a completely opposite situation than he experienced in Michigan, and he will thrive.

he was the legit #1 prospect on that D from day 1. He was who teams game planned against. He was the one responsible for freeing up others to make plays. The proof is in the gametape, just count how many times he had more than one man focused on him.

hes coming here with zero pressure to do anything close to that. He’s coming here with 4 players all ahead of him in the pecking order in the Smiths, Clark, & Daniels. He won’t be asked to line up at 1T or 0T. He won’t be seeing the majority of double teams. He won’t be getting gassed playing tons of snaps. He will have good guys with good leadership skills helping him, and a DC who is excited to have him.

get ready to see his elite athleticism. It should be fun.

• Like 5