2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

The Smiths have 20.5 sacks between them (10.5 for Preston and 10 for Z). No one could have predicted they would be this good in the pass rush.

Fackrell, Gary, Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, and Adams are the other 6 players who consistently take part in rushing the passer.

They have a combined 4.5 sacks through 11 games .. with starting OLBs who are consistently pressuring the QB. 

Lowry, Adams, and Fackrell have a combined .5 sacks.

So, here are the immediate needs:

DL: No-Brainer. Not only are they mostly generating no rush, they are often beaten in the trenches when it comes to run defense. Clark's the only genuine keeper(mostly for his youth). Lowry and Lancaster are rotational guys bordering on JAGs who are playing in roles well above their abilities, and in the case of Lowry, being paid beyond his abilities. Apart from giving Keke more time and perhaps experimenting with Gary on the line, there's nothing more to be done this season, and a RD 1 talent(maybe RD 2 if the right guy comes along) might be desirable(then again, we HAVE whiffed at this spot in the first round before).

ILB: My consensus; Blake Martinez is playing in the wrong kind of 3-4 defense for his skills. He's asked to do too much on a defense that just stretches him all over the place. Trouble is, he gets little help from the others in this spot, as they are either inefficient or they're on the sideline, as I'm fairly certain this defense doesn't run base 3-4 all that often, especially against good-to-great passing teams. A significantly more athletic ILB is needed for this spot, if we're still using the Pettine defense next year, which is going to take RD 1 at a minimum. The alternative is to find a new 3-4 defense, one which provides a partner for Martinez in the middle the majority of the time. Then you can roll the dice on another mid-to-low round pick.

CB: What was supposed to be a patched up unit is starting to crumble. Kevin King has been faltering for the past month or two and Josh Jackson is in the doghouse. Tramon Williams is old and simply isn't who you want in crucial one-on-one situations(that he's technically the "Speed Cover" guy isn't helpful either). Finding a CB anywhere from RD 1 to 3 might be required, but given the other rampant needs, this might be the one weak position bypassed in the draft, leaving only low-rounder prospects.

Oh who am I kidding, the Pack's gonna pick another EDGE Rusher to replace Fackrell in RD 1 and we'll all scream in agony when that happens.

• Like 1

not having what we expected from Daniels (not daniels himself, who has been hurt all year) is a big deal.  I think blake looks a lot better with someone like Daniels and daniels was more than capable of getting to the qb while playing the run as good as someone like Dean Lowry.

why is sheldon richardson on the browns and not the packers?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

not having what we expected from Daniels (not daniels himself, who has been hurt all year) is a big deal.  I think blake looks a lot better with someone like Daniels and daniels was more than capable of getting to the qb while playing the run as good as someone like Dean Lowry.

why is sheldon richardson on the browns and not the packers?

Because Sheldon Richardson is a little bit of a headcase.

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Pettine is trash.  He’s worse than Capers.  What year other than 2010 did Capers ever have a team as healthy and talented as Pettine has right now? 

You have a friend in.......

Aaron Nagler - Look, I LOVE Mike Pettine. But his passive, constantly-giving-up-big-plays bull**** can only be tolerated for so long. He was hired by the previous head coach and reportedly strongly pushed onto the current one. But it wouldn’t surprise me at all if LaFleur wanted his own guy.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

You have a friend in.......

Aaron Nagler - Look, I LOVE Mike Pettine. But his passive, constantly-giving-up-big-plays bull**** can only be tolerated for so long. He was hired by the previous head coach and reportedly strongly pushed onto the current one. But it wouldn’t surprise me at all if LaFleur wanted his own guy.

Pettine needs to just send the house every single play.  If you're going to give up big plays, you might as well have 4-5 guys dogpiling on the QB.  To hell with roughing the passer, make him have to worry about getting **** stomped every time he throws the ball.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:27 AM, MaximusGluteus said:

Pettine needs to just send the house every single play.  If you're going to give up big plays, you might as well have 4-5 guys dogpiling on the QB.  To hell with roughing the passer, make him have to worry about getting **** stomped every time he throws the ball.

In general I agree .. if you are going to go out like a *****, at least make the other team pay for it with hits to their QB.   

38 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Do others have the concern on Pettine is after the next 5 weeks (4 games with 2 rookies, Trubisky, potentially Blough), we probably end the season as a top 15 defense in the stats and he gets a pass due to “improvement.”

Possibly could happen.  However, the playoffs are a different animal and if the defense plays like it has the past number of games, time for a different guy.