2[44]: Elgton Jenkins [OC; Miss State]

Packerraymond

I mean, even if Jenkins doesn't win a starting guard spot in camp as a rook, he's absolutely got the inside track to being the swing backup IOL since he can play center, which is not a thing you could say about a lot of their IOL guys.

Gone are the days when we're wondering "Well, can Don Barclay snap?"

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 2

Good breakdown. What I like seeing his tape here he is a great anchor he will stop the big guys upfront in their tracks. Also athletic to boot. I think we wanted another guard that can move in LeFleurs scheme. Not a sexy pick. I like the pick, solid value, and a need.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So the big knock on him was his hands; his punch was way too wide.  I wonder if the Packers think "having to snap the football" was the cause of that, hence the move to guard.

None of our centers will have much time to get their hands set if Rodgers keeps waiting until 0:01 to hike the damn ball. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

it isn’t really meh,

How I see it, outside of Bak and Linsely (knock on wood), 3 spots could change in 2020. Drafting a good OL to start and take over makes a ton of sense. I’d lock him in as starting RG, let RT play itself out (Knowing Bulaga’s body, he will be out by week 5 and we will get a real look st Turner).

It's less a knock on Jenkins and more I would have preferred roughly any other position addressed instead. Don't like Turner outside. 

Gotta protect 12. I get it. But we've found gems in the later rounds. Theres better prospects at T.

Just not a fan. 

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Don't think this pick means Turner moves to tackle. Think it means what I've been saying for a while...Lane Taylor is gone, either this year or next. Guy doesn't fit what LaFleur wants on the OL.

This has been my thought for some time now, Taylor will be coming off the bench or cut this season. Guy can’t move and is marginal at best. This is a solid pick.

Bahk - Jenkins - Linsley - Turner - Bulaga has gotta make 12 feel more secure

12 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

it isn’t really meh,

How I see it, outside of Bak and Linsely (knock on wood), 3 spots could change in 2020. Drafting a good OL to start and take over makes a ton of sense. I’d lock him in as starting RG, let RT play itself out (Knowing Bulaga’s body, he will be out by week 5 and we will get a real look st Turner).

Agree, I believe linemen need a full year in an NFL weight room to be ready to compete. 2020 a lot can change!

I am surprised by this pick. We all are. But should we be?

Gute has preached all off season the importance of disrupting the opposing QB and protecting your QB. That’s 1A and 1B to a successful football team. If Rodgers go down our season is over and if you truly believe that then this was the right pick. 

Didn't see it coming, but it was a very good value for the Pack.  Most posters who don't like it wanted more flash.  He's not far behind most of the first rounders, great RAS score.

So after three picks we've covered the BIGs on both sides of the ball and probably our biggest need- Safety.  I have no complaints.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deathstar said:

We are seeing Gute hammer home the same positions he hit in free agency.

Other than G depth, I won't argue. Depth was needed at both S and EDGE. 

If Jenkins comes in and wins a G spot(pun intended) I'll be okay with this pick. Just as @AlexGreen#20 put it though, I wish we weren't trying to replace a pretty decent/average guard with the 44th pick in the draft. 

• Like 1