What if Mike Vick never got arrested?

Elky

Let's say Vick wasn't involved in dog fighting. With Vick still around, where does Matt Ryan go? What happens to Philly when the Kolb experiment fails?

Please do not talk about whether Vick should have been allowed back in the league. I really like to hear the different scenarios that could happen in these what ifs and I don't want this locked over nonsense. Stick to football.

Edited by Elky

Vick probably would have kept putting up seasons similar to the ones he already had in Atlanta.  I think he could have cracked 1,000 rushing yards again, but he probably wasn't getting any better as a passer.  The opportunity to get coached by Reid helped a lot, so I'm not sure he would have had a 2010 level season with the Falcons.  

Raiders wouldn't take Ryan because they just drafted Russell.  Rams and Dolphins both passed on him.  Maybe the Chiefs?  They were hoping for Croyle to pan out, but I'm not sure they would have passed on Ryan.  Side note: anyone remember Tyler Thigpen?

If not the Chiefs, then the Jets would have taken him.  That would have been a damn good team.  Jets were good that season until Favre got hurt.  Maybe if they draft Ryan, they don't ever get Rex but that defense would have still been great in 2009 considering the talent.

And if the Jets take him, then where does Favre go?  Packers wouldn't have traded him to the Vikings.  Was there anyone else interested?  

Philly probably would have had to wait to draft a QB.  I don't think much changes for them.  Maybe they aren't so quick to trade McNabb?

Edited by iknowcool

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Vick probably would have kept putting up seasons similar to the ones he already had in Atlanta.  I think he could have cracked 1,000 rushing yards again, but he probably wasn't getting any better as a passer.  The opportunity to get coached by Reid helped a lot, so I'm not sure he would have had a 2010 level season with the Falcons.  

Raiders wouldn't take Ryan because they just drafted Russell.  Rams and Dolphins both passed on him.  Maybe the Chiefs?  They were hoping for Croyle to pan out, but I'm not sure they would have passed on Ryan.  Side note: anyone remember Tyler Thigpen?

If not the Chiefs, then the Jets would have taken him.  That would have been a damn good team.  Jets were good that season until Favre got hurt.  Maybe if they draft Ryan, they don't ever get Rex but that defense would have still been great in 2009 considering the talent.

And if the Jets take him, then where does Favre go?  Packers wouldn't have traded him to the Vikings.  Was there anyone else interested?  

Philly probably would have had to wait to draft a QB.  I don't think much changes for them.  Maybe they aren't so quick to trade McNabb?

Maybe the Ravens at 8 for Matt Ryan?

Maybe the Ravens would have needed to trade up for Ryan to get him ... I know the Ravens were interested in him, but the Falcons took him before .... The Ravens trade down at 26 with the Jaguars and trade up after at 18 for Flacco.

For Vick, the coaching staff in Atlanta was bad ... I would have loved to see Vick with an HC like Andy Reid for his career, especially in his bonus (if of course, he would not have been arrested.

For Brett Favre, I remember that Tampa Bay with Jon Gruden was interressed.

35 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

**** Mike Vick. Piece of garbage. A fast piece of garbage. 

He was overrated coming out of VT. Another QB that had no business being taken #1 overall (like Alex Smith and JaBustus, who was also not that great in college).

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I think the Chiefs do take Ryan. 

Philly was over McNabb either way at that point. Kolb fails in 2010, Andy Reid is canned from Philly after the 2011 season instead of the 2012 season. I think Andy gets hired in early 2012 by the Dolphins over Joe Philbin. They still take Tannehill but Tannehill is a more successful QB, on the level we view Jared Goff right now. A rather good young QB, but not absolutely setting the world on fire. 

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Philly was over McNabb either way at that point. Kolb fails in 2010, Andy Reid is canned from Philly after the 2011 season instead of the 2012 season. I think Andy gets hired in early 2012 by the Dolphins over Joe Philbin. They still take Tannehill but Tannehill is a more successful QB, on the level we view Jared Goff right now. A rather good young QB, but not absolutely setting the world on fire. 

Would be an interesting trickle down for the Eagles.

The would have been stock with Kolb after tying to make it work.
With no Vick, the dream team likely would not have happened. Which is good but it also was a big lesson for the franchise going forward.
Pagano, Philbin, Jay Gruden or Chip Kelly would have been brought in
We'd go into 2012 with a much bigger need for a QB. Whos to say how much worse we would be. Would we be in position to draft Luck, RG3, Tannehill? Would we have taken Osweiler, Wilson or Foles in the 2nd? Chip Kelly with Russell Wilson would be interesting. But would end with Kelly getting the boot in 2014 or 2015 again
It all branches from there in interesting ways. 

4 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

He was overrated coming out of VT. Another QB that had no business being taken #1 overall (like Alex Smith and JaBustus, who was also not that great in college).

I think he could have done more in today's NFL.  More teams are embracing run/pass options and other creative ways to score points, instead of making the QB's pure focus be as a passer.

I'm not sure what the rolldown effect would have been on the rest of the NFL.  But i think his career might have actually ended sooner.  Atlanta likely would have moved on from him sometime in the 2009/2010 timeframe.  He would have gotten another chance somewhere, but without Reid he doesn't spark his nice second half of his career.  I think he would have been out of the league by 2012/2013 personally.

8 hours ago, Danger said:

I think the Chiefs do take Ryan. 

Our QBs weren't good, that's for sure. But I think Herm liked Huard/Croyle. Plus I don't think Ryan, or anyone else, would have succeeded in that abysmal Herm Edwards offense.

Edited by kingseanjohn
Ryan, not Vick