Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

2 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

What are those of you who don't think Dak is worth $35m/yr going to do when Dak gets $35m/yr ? 

I have come to accept he will get $35/year.

My issue is he isn't willing to accept the 5 year deal so he can cash in again sooner. 

My question to those who love Dak, is when paying him $35 million/year and doing it over 4 years and if it causes us to lose or not resign some key members, will they make excuses as to why our $35 mill/year QB cant get the job done?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

My issue is he isn't willing to accept the 5 year deal so he can cash in again sooner. 

My question to those who love Dak, is when paying him $35 million/year and doing it over 4 years and if it causes us to lose or not resign some key members, will they make excuses as to why our $35 mill/year QB cant get the job done?

Wait until his offensive line gets older and he doesnt have that much time to wait until his receiver gets open 

I just want to add that guarantees aren’t always guarantees and that the fine print there is what defines these contracts

La’el and Jaylon, for instance, don’t have their ‘21 and ‘22 bases fully guaranteed until the fifth day of those respective league years- for now, they’re GTD for injury only. You’d like to think they’ll still be core players for us then but it’s nice to have the flexibility to move on

Zeke’s base salaries in those respective years vest a year in advance, so they are actually guaranteed, bar suspension. That $50M GTD is completely legit and it’s absurd for an RB, but I digress. That sort of structure is obviously what Dak wants, after he was a good soldier for us for four years while his buddy partied in Cabo

Obviously, if it were any of us, we’d take the deal. We’re not professional QBs though, just people with limited information. I highly, highly doubt “$106M guaranteed” means $106M fully guaranteed, given this team’s rep for not meaningfully increasing their offer until the deadline

14 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

- If the rumors are true and the salary cap is about to see a huge increase, who in their right mind, with a limited shelf life, wouldn't want to take advantage of that?  

- This is just part of the game and why drafting well is so important. Every team has to make these decisions. Dallas made two this year with Jones and Quinn, and by numerous accounts the could have kept both. 

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

To your first point, sure, everyone wants to take advantage of that. My point, is all the Dak lovers kept commenting, but in a few years his deal will look amazing at only $35 million. Well not if we have to re-sign him again in a few years.

The cap goes up, but so does everyone else's ask. Eventually Dak's ask will catch up to us and we will have to move on from guys.

To your second point, your right. Drafting is important. But if we miss on a few picks like everyone does, I dont want to hear an excuse that we lost because our defense, or Dak needs more weapons. At $35-$40 million a year, you better be able to consistently overcome any roster deficiencies.

Just like if Jarwin bombs this year and is just a guy, no one on here should complain that we need an upgraded Tight End. No our $35 million QB needs to make the most out of what he's got.

8 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

To your first point, sure, everyone wants to take advantage of that. My point, is all the Dak lovers kept commenting, but in a few years his deal will look amazing at only $35 million. Well not if we have to re-sign him again in a few years.

- And, his deal does look much better when the salary cap goes up. There were projections it could be as high as $240m by 2021. And, $275m by 2024.  Well, have to wait and see how the CV19 issues effect this. 

The cap goes up, but so does everyone else's ask. Eventually Dak's ask will catch up to us and we will have to move on from guys.

- Sure, but with the cap expected to grow at a much larger rate, Dak's contract isn't going to be a huge hindrance.

To your second point, your right. Drafting is important. But if we miss on a few picks like everyone does, I dont want to hear an excuse that we lost because our defense, or Dak needs more weapons. At $35-$40 million a year, you better be able to consistently overcome any roster deficiencies.

Just like if Jarwin bombs this year and is just a guy, no one on here should complain that we need an upgraded Tight End. No our $35 million QB needs to make the most out of what he's got.

- I don't understand any of Player A better be able to overcome the deficiencies of everyone else because he makes X amount. If the OL takes a step backwards with Looney at C and/or Smith goes down, Zeke better still maintain his 100yd/gm clip because he's paid X amount.  It doesn't add up. If Jarwin bombs, Dak still better complete passes to him because he makes $35m/yr.  If nobody in the secondary can cover, DLaw better make up for it because he makes $20m/yr. 

So if Tag is 31 this and then 36 next year isn't 35/year more than that?  And he is getting 3 years and change guaranteed on a 5 year deal?  Seems really fair.  Not sure what he thinks FA price would be.  I don't believe it would be more than that.  I think Dallas values him more than anyone else.  

Sticking point is a 4 year deal so he can re-up in 4?    

Just make it 5 years split baby on 4th year guarantee. Say 120 million guaranteed.  Done.  That dead cap will keep him from being cut in 4th year probably.  

Now its money in hand that can be invested in Covid derived bargain businesses, land and stocks and is will be worth way more than waiting for somewhat large deal down the line.     He is crazy not to get paid now.  Now is time.  Future is uncertain.  Wirtz family made its fortune in Chicago during Great Depression.  Dak could end up a sports owner or mogul of some kind if he plays his cards right.  Unique historical time upcoming.     

In year 5 he will be underpaid assuming he is a top QB.  But heck in that case, just hold out in 5th year.  If you aren't good they are going to cut you in year 4 or 5 anyway.   Seems fair to hold out in last year of a 5 year deal if you are a stud.    

35m a year for Dak to me is crazy and I would just move on from him or trade him, but I am not a Cowboys fan and apparently a lot are on board with it - though some aren't.  

I just got done watching 2019 GB game though so ... there has to be better tape for him out there that makes a case that he is the man.  That wasn't it.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Can we change the tittle of this thread to “Dak turns down monster contract worth $175M with $106M guaranteed”.  It makes a lot more sense than the current title.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/sports/2020/05/cowboys-dak-prescott-monster-contract-offer-update/amp/

Did you just figure out what 5 x 35 equals? ;)