GDT Week 1, Packers @ Bears

malagabears

4 hours ago, soulman said:

Just to remember the result is what I meant.

GB got some huge breaks that would very likely have not happened all in one game as those did.

IMHO Rodgers gets far too much credit for that one.  If Fuller doesn't drop a sure pick that last TD never happens.  Or Jackson gambles makes a play on the ball and fails and we let Cobb go untouched for a TD.

Two All Pros failed to make plays they made in their sleep for the rest of the season but both came up short that game.  If you ask me Rodgers was more lucky than good as far as winning that one.

Gotcha. I took it as you were saying the loss was on the defense. My bad. 
But yeah, Rodgers was def more lucky than good in that game.

All in all, in retrospect, Nagy gave too many snaps to Kwiat on defense and Dion "slow as mollasses" Sims on offense. I suspect we won't see the same mistakes being made this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

All in all, in retrospect, Nagy gave too many snaps to Kwiat on defense and Dion "slow as mollasses" Sims on offense. I suspect we won't see the same mistakes being made this year.

Yep, that was the very first time I noticed how badly he can be exposed in coverage and Rodgers just kept going back to it time after time.

But that luck from game #1 caught up with him and game #2 when there was no such luck.  No Kwit to take advantage and a finally whole Floyd pairing with Mack to make life more difficult.  He's killed us so often with scrambles to extend plays but he can't out run Floyd or Smith so if Pagano is smart he'll have those two spying him to limit those opportunities.

And no, not the fault of the defense at all.  More so a less effective offense than anything and I believe that won't be as much the case this year either.  Even if Mitch doesn't have his best game the talent and firepower around him is much better in all respects.  Who does a DC focus on stopping, Montgomery, Cohen, ARrob, Gabriel or Patterson as deep threats, Shaheen in the red zone?

The entire team is a little more balanced this year than last and despite that we still won 12 games last year and should have won at least one more if not two.  So I really don't get the regression thing at all.  It's just as possible we win two more as it is that we lose two more but the idea that this is a 7-9 team as SI predicted seems ludicrous.  Not with this roster and this coaching staff.

6 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Ugh. Just drafted A.A.Ron in our fantasy draft.  Also have Kyler Murray.  Who should I play week one and can I forgive myself?

This is why I can never bring myself to draft anyone else in the NFC North.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I've literally never seen a fan base so obsessed with either bad players (Kuhn back in the day), average players (Amos) or unproven players (MVS, Allison).

You literally have 2 threads exclusive to talking about your new mediocre safety being better than Amos. Forums are full of homers and the Packers have the biggest forum on this board so its extremely filled with all sorts of both smart and very stupid opinions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malagabears said:

Ignorant old newb here, what purpose does Fantasy Football fulfill and how does it work?

So basically you and, say, 11 other people join a fantasy football league together.  You guys then draft players from around the league to your team.  In most cases it’s strictly offensive skill players.  Your fantasy team will be comprised of players from different teams in the nfl.  For example, your QB could be Pat Mahomes, RB could be Tarik Cohen, and WR could be Davante Adams, etc.

Your fantasy team then plays head to head against another fantasy team in your league each week.  You choose a select number of your players to start that week and your score is based off of how your players do in real nfl games that week.  So for example, QBs generally get 4 points for every td they throw, 1 point for every 25 yards they throw, and -2 points for every int they throw.  Other positions have similar scoring.  So that’s where the strategy comes in, you have to decide who to start based off of matchups, whose playing the hot hand, who’s been banged up, etc.  So let’s say you started Tarik Cohen at RB, but he lays a goose egg against the Packers this week and you left David Montgomery on the bench and he runs for 150 yards and 3 TDs, well then you’re SOL because his 33 points aren’t going to help you from the bench.

Lots of fantasy leagues have a buy in so the winners of the league can make some money.  For a lot of people, it’s a great way to get you interested in other nfl games other than the Bears.  Normally i wouldn’t care to watch the 9ers and Seahawks, but if I’m up by 20 points and my opponent has Russel Wilson playing, ill be on the edge of my seat that whole game rooting for the 9er defense.

Theres more intricacies the more you get into it, but that’s more of a broad overview of fantasy football.

2 hours ago, malagabears said:

Ignorant old newb here, what purpose does Fantasy Football fulfill and how does it work?

Nothing really. It just passes time and give you a chance to trash talk a fellow poster while putting in no real work.  lol

You draft players and set up your line up (usually 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 flex - any non-qb can fit there, 1 defense and special teams group, but more roles can be added). Their stats all have a point system, like 4 points for a passing TD, 6 for a rushing TD, .5 points for a catch, etc. The better they do the more points they total, and at the end of the week all your players in the line up are added up vs all your opponent's points. Whoever has the highest total wins, and the league does all the math for us, so it is a lazy man's game.

Now some leagues people will take seriously and bet money, but I suck at all gambling so I never would.

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I'm hoping Sowell doesn't somehow find himself getting too many reps. If we have a reserve OT out there and he becomes the 'OT3' to that side to help out then fine, but he shouldn't probably get more than 10 reps on offense per game realistically.

I have no idea how Pagano will want to use Kwiat, he is a guy who can attack but if he has to go laterally he can be abused.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

This is why I can never bring myself to draft anyone else in the NFC North.

I see it as a win-win.  Say I’ve got AR.  Either the Bears win and my fantasy team takes a hit with a poor Rodgers performance.  If the Bears lose because AR was lights out, well at least my fantasy team is doing well.  Best case scenario - the two teams get into a shootout and AR throws 5 tds but still isn’t enough to overcome the Bears 6 tds by Trubisky.

16 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I see it as a win-win.  Say I’ve got AR.  Either the Bears win and my fantasy team takes a hit with a poor Rodgers performance.  If the Bears lose because AR was lights out, well at least my fantasy team is doing well.  Best case scenario - the two teams get into a shootout and AR throws 5 tds but still isn’t enough to overcome the Bears 6 tds by Trubisky.

This is why I don't play fantasy. I cannot will myself to root for any Packer player. I also have seasons of hating other teams for no rational reason. I've hated the Saints for three years after they won the Superbowl. 

• Like 1