Rams Sign Goff to Four Year Extension

HTTRDynasty

Goff is not even 25 yet, and  they sure as hell cant afford to let him walk.    Seems like every time a non-elite QB gets a big contract, everyone claims its an overpay.   I am guilty of it too.    I think everyone needs to realize that even solid QBs hold all the leverage in contract negotiations.     Teams often struggle for years and years finding a QB, so when they find one, they have to stick with them, even if they may not be great.   

Goff is at least good, and still has upside....if the Rams didnt pay him, someone else would have.    Am I saying its the RIGHT decision?   No, but it was the ONLY decision.    People say they should have waited, but for what?     I mean, he may never live up to the contract, but even if doesnt, I seriously doubt he regresses to the point of not being a capable starting QB....and they wouldve been forced to pay a similar contract next year, and for maybe even more money.    If he DOES have a big year, they would DEFINITELY have to pay him even more next year, likely in the $40m per year range.    

Bottom line...Goff isnt great, but even pretty good QBs get big contracts these days.   You dont have to like it, but thats just how it is.   Quality QBs are at a premium, and there is no guarantee they are going to find someone even nearly as good if they take a gamble and let him go.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Goff was exposed in the Super Bowl. 

When McVay can’t make pre snap reads and adjustments for him he’s absolutely terrible. 

You do realize that the Super Bowl wasn't the first game Goff had the power to make reads and adjustments right? 

He did that all season. The same season where the Rams went to the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

People over-react to big games. Yes, Goff was poor in the Superbowl, but he's only 24 and playing in his first ever Superbowl, going up against BB with two weeks to plan. Bill has made better, older and more experienced QBs look foolish. It's what he does.

Goff has the tools to be elite, and it won't surprise me if at the end of the day he's the best QB from his class.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Whereas Mahomes had to make-do with Andy Reid.

Mahomes can make plays on the fly, outside of any control by Reid.  Goff, to this point, hasn't really proven to be able to make adjustments without being spoon-fed.  Maybe that'll change, but at this point, it doesn't appear to be the case.  

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Mahomes can make plays on the fly, outside of any control by Reid.  Goff, to this point, hasn't really proven to be able to make adjustments without being spoon-fed.  Maybe that'll change, but at this point, it doesn't appear to be the case.  

You clearly haven't watched a lot of Rams games. 

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Agreed. The NFC West has enjoyed the benevolent rule of the Rams and Goff the past two years. We'll get to see many, many more years of it. Thank you, Snead, Demoff, and McVay.

Looking back at my comment, it came off 1000000% sarcastic when that's not what I meant lol

It's great news for the NFC West because it locks up another young QB and continues to make the NFC West a fun division to watch between Russell, Kyler and Goff. I didn't mean to imply it was great because the Rams signed a bad QB to a huge deal or anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Not many people do. Pay him no mind. Mahomes balled out last year, but let's see how it looks after a year of tape on him. 

I'll admit, no I haven't.  But, in the games I have watched, I haven't been all that impressed.  That even includes that offensive explosion against the Vikings last season.  He was good that game, but I wouldn't say that he wowed me in the least.  He wasn't all that much improved from the game the season before when the Vikings dominated him.

As far as Mahomes, I'm in a wait and see mode on him too to a certain extent, but he showed far more in 1 year starting than I've seen from Goff in 3.  Rex Grossman was only 2 years older than Goff and in his first full year starting and made a Super Bowl too.  Let's not crown Goff as a superstar.  For all we know, he could just be Kirk Cousins re-incarnate.  And this is coming from a Vikings fan.  Kirk's a decent QB, but he ain't a top-tier QB. 

Edited by swede700

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I'll admit, no I haven't.  But, in the games I have watched, I haven't been all that impressed.  That even includes that offensive explosion against the Vikings last season.  He was good that game, but I wouldn't say that he wowed me in the least.  He wasn't all that much improved from the game the season before when the Vikings dominated him.   

He didn't wow you in the game vs. the Vikings? Cause made some of the most accurate throws I've ever seen. The throw to Kupp in the back of the endzone rolling right was up there with anything Mahomes did last year. How about vs. the Chiefs on MNF when he outplayed Mahomes? lol 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

He didn't wow you in the game vs. the Vikings? Cause made some of the most accurate throws I've ever seen. The throw to Kupp in the back of the endzone rolling right was up there with anything Mahomes did last year. How about vs. the Chiefs on MNF when he outplayed Mahomes? lol 

No, he didn't.  I've seen Aaron Rodgers and Sam Bradford play (which I know you have...despite all the injuries he suffered, he was one of the most accurate passers I've ever seen).  Goff is middle of the pack as far as accuracy.  

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No, he didn't.  I've seen Aaron Rodgers and Sam Bradford play (which I know you have...despite all the injuries he suffered, he was one of the most accurate passers I've ever seen).  Goff is middle of the pack as far as accuracy.  

Come on now. That throw to Kupp on the run? I'm sorry but McVay couldn't puppet master that one. Pure playmaking ability by the QB on that one to drop it in a bucket.

Has McVay helped him grow? Absolutely. Does McVay give quick reads before the mic cuts out? Yes, as do most OC/HC for QBs. Adam Gase did it for Manning and Tannehill and he's going to do it for Darnold. It's likely Manning didn't need Gase in his helmet, but he was there. The reason teams do quick tempo stuff is to keep the defense from rotating, not give them time to adjust and so the HC/OC can be in the QBs ear. Let's be real, this narrative is overblown. 

Goff didn't play his best game in the Super Bowl sure. But there were two passes to Cooks that were dropped for TDs (one right before he was zero blitzed and forced to toss it up to make something happen) which had they been caught would change the outcome of the game. Goff played just as well as Brady in that game.

• Like 1