What NFL hill are you willing to die on?

Bolts223

6 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Or if there wasn't a 1987 strike (or if Buddy didn't leave).

Buddy staying is a little different, as Vince was top notch. That's one we'll never know, for sure. How about--what could they have done if Buddy REPLACED Ditka? That's a good one, there. 

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Buddy staying is a little different, as Vince was top notch. That's one we'll never know, for sure. How about--what could they have done if Buddy REPLACED Ditka? That's a good one, there. 

That would have been interesting, for sure, but it seemed to me that the Bears wanted the hot assistant (at the time) in Wannstedt. Plus, I wonder if teams didn't consider him HC material anymore by then (Arizona made him HC the next year, but they were second class, and that was a big failure).

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Gotcha.

How about this one (Bears related) the Bears would have at least one more Super Bowl--possibly two--in the 80's if Ditka hadn't mismanaged the QB position horribly? 

QB position, yes -- along with moving Duerson to SS from FS (or vice-versa, can't remember). 

In terms of mismanagement as a whole, I put that more on Vainsi than Ditka . He seemed to have the idea that treating players like were all expendable and replaceable was the route to go. Remember, even in '85 when they won the SB, they had several players holding out for the first few games because of reasonable contract disputes. 

11 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

That would have been interesting, for sure, but it seemed to me that the Bears wanted the hot assistant (at the time) in Wannstedt. Plus, I wonder if teams didn't consider him HC material anymore by then (Arizona made him HC the next year, but they were second class, and that was a big failure).

Was he the HC in Arizona after he left Chicago, or when he left the Houston Oilers in 1993?