Thoughts on Browns after week one loss

Vladimir L

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If you want to lose in the NFL here’s how you do it:

Commit turnovers: Did that a bunch in the 4th

Commit penalties: Did that at a franchise record rate

Don't protect your QB: 5 sacks

Whoever this ref was was clearly in the tank for the Titans.

13 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

1. You cannot judge the whole season on any one game, let alone game 1

2. That said, it did appear that the entire city and the team were mega-hyped, and that's probably not the best state of mind to be in

3. Kitchens needs to cool it as well, he was blowing his top at nearly EVERY one of those penalties, including the hit very late to Mariota which was clearly a flag all day. Calm yourself.

They won't play that bad again, I'd say. Love the Browns fans here, but have to admit - the hype was getting too much (not necessarily your fault) and it was a reality check.

I agree with most of this.  We call this overreaction Monday for a reason.  I still expect the Browns to be a good team this season, but they aren't ready, as few teams with second year QBs and a ton of personnel changes are.

Titans are a good team.  They were 9-7 last season despite Mariota and our best receiving threat picking up injuries week one, and our starting Edge rushers combined for two sacks.  This year they're healthy again, and have a much improved set of receivers and edge rushers, so they're a good team.  They're just a small market, so people sleep on them every year.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get both of your points, but I can’t blame Freddie for GRob kicking a dude in the face.

Yeah, for the one penalty, no.  But a record setting number of penalties, including multiple personal fouls isn't just a few players acting out.  That's a systemic problem, and systemic problems are always the fault of management, or in this case, coaches.

I imagine the thrashing will be a good wakeup call.

We lost the game before it started. 
they believed the hype. 
The game plan was horrid. 
Presumably the least disciplined team week 1. 

things in our favor going forward, we have a bunch of talent. If we can sought out the discipline we can at least be mediocre, if we have discipline and good game planning we can be excellent. 

Hype was a little different than dream team Eagles. That was a playoff team that dominated when Vick played (8-3 IIRC), who then added a ton of pieces in the offseason while retaining the playoff team's core. I believe we were 4th overall SB favorites, only behind Packers in the NFC. Also, again this is just based off memory, not many people were doubting the Eagles. Even if they weren't buying fully into the hype (SB champs), they were slotted as a playoff team by pretty much everyone.

Switch to the Browns, the worst franchise in the league (current 99 established version), coming off a season where they weren't even .500 but merely finished strong. They added pieces sure, but was it even comparable to the offseason adds of the Rams just a season ago? In terms of Vegas their hype was similiar to Eagles, I think they closed as 6th best odds, but because most of the hype was really coming from that 5-3 finish, the idea that they were a good team held back by Hue Jackson, a lot of people were skeptical, and on FF I saw them mostly slotted as a 10 win team at best, and maybe half of people even gave them the divsion?

I don't think people saw a 30 point loss in the opener coming, but SO many people were predicting a massive disappointment of a team (7 or 8 wins) and tried to temper expectations of Browns fans who were thinking SB when they hadn't even touched the playoffs this decade.

That being said, just 1 game. Pats got blown out in opener by KC a few years back but still made SB. Yes, it's the Pats, and I am definitely not predicting the Browns go to the SB, but just saying a ton can change.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Hype was a little different than dream team Eagles. That was a playoff team that dominated when Vick played (8-3 IIRC), who then added a ton of pieces in the offseason while retaining the playoff team's core. I believe we were 4th overall SB favorites, only behind Packers in the NFC. Also, again this is just based off memory, not many people were doubting the Eagles. Even if they weren't buying fully into the hype (SB champs), they were slotted as a playoff team by pretty much everyone.

Switch to the Browns, the worst franchise in the league (current 99 established version), coming off a season where they weren't even .500 but merely finished strong. They added pieces sure, but was it even comparable to the offseason adds of the Rams just a season ago? In terms of Vegas their hype was similiar to Eagles, I think they closed as 6th best odds, but because most of the hype was really coming from that 5-3 finish, the idea that they were a good team held back by Hue Jackson, a lot of people were skeptical, and on FF I saw them mostly slotted as a 10 win team at best, and maybe half of people even gave them the divsion?

I don't think people saw a 30 point loss in the opener coming, but SO many people were predicting a massive disappointment of a team (7 or 8 wins) and tried to temper expectations of Browns fans who were thinking SB when they hadn't even touched the playoffs this decade.

That being said, just 1 game. Pats got blown out in opener by KC a few years back but still made SB. Yes, it's the Pats, and I am definitely not predicting the Browns go to the SB, but just saying a ton can change.

I'm 99.9% sure not a single Browns fan on this forum said we were going to the SB.

It was only one loss in Week 1.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  They just need to make adjustments next week and see if they can get things back on track.  The Steelers looked horrible too, and although the Ravens won big, they were playing a horrible team.  Not too much  is ever decided for the whole season in Week 1.

• Like 1

The biggest thing I want to see is if Freddie implements a schematic change. The hope was Baker being ready for a high flying 11 personnel offense. We ran 92% of our plays from a 11 personnel against Tennessee.

Baker was significantly better when we ran 12 and 13 personnel and gave him protection.

Until we upgrade our tackles, we need to play it safer.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:44 PM, DawgX said:

I'm 99.9% sure not a single Browns fan on this forum said we were going to the SB.

One of yall said to me "This is the first year I can say the Browns have a shot at making the Superbowl and it not be a joke". I dont remember who, but it was a liked comment.