Lamar Jackson QB1

DreamKid

Ravens fans - both on FF and elsewhere - have I think a well-earned reputation of being extremely defensive about Lamar Jackson. Other people find it annoying. But I honestly can't watch clips like this and not get infuriated about the way the media treats Lamar. How many other QB's are going viral being roasted for... a throw during OTA's? And I know, I know... especially right now NFL media are starved for content and Lamar drives clicks... but still, the idea that he's getting 2 minute concern trolling segments and thousands of retweets (and McAfee wasn't the only one to highlight this)....

It's honestly a joke. We've already heard more about Lamar throwing a wobbly completion during OTA's than you ever will about Baker Mayfield losing to Chad Henne with a shot at the AFC Title Game on the line, and that's after they already decided to make him the face of the NFL because of a decent rookie year. There are multiple factors involved in how all of this happens, and some of it is stuff that I know we're not allowed to get into on this forum... but it's genuinely pathetic. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Ravens fans - both on FF and elsewhere - have I think a well-earned reputation of being extremely defensive about Lamar Jackson. Other people find it annoying. But I honestly can't watch clips like this and not get infuriated about the way the media treats Lamar. How many other QB's are going viral being roasted for... a throw during OTA's? And I know, I know... especially right now NFL media are starved for content and Lamar drives clicks... but still, the idea that he's getting 2 minute concern trolling segments and thousands of retweets (and McAfee wasn't the only one to highlight this)....

It's honestly a joke. We've already heard more about Lamar throwing a wobbly completion during OTA's than you ever will about Baker Mayfield losing to Chad Henne with a shot at the AFC Title Game on the line, and that's after they already decided to make him the face of the NFL because of a decent rookie year. There are multiple factors involved in how all of this happens, and some of it is stuff that I know we're not allowed to get into on this forum... but it's genuinely pathetic. 

I completely agree and it's completely unfair that Lamar is always under such scrutiny even though he has been successful on the field and an incredible teammate. The fact of the matter is that it's June and football news right now is non existent, draft is done, free agency has slowed to a crawl  and there are 5 million football podcasts out there craving for content. The Ravens organization didn't do Lamar any favors however for choosing that clip as the highlight throw for the day..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Maybe they’re playing 4D chess and simply playing these clips so the perception of Lamar will be more negative and allow us to sign him to a more team friendly deal. 🤷🏾‍♂️

But yeah I saw either that pass or another slightly wobbly pass that they decided to show and I’m like... could they not have ran a Lamar to Bateman story or to Hollywood or Andrews or Wallace?

There are enough receivers that I feel they could’ve made a story on and unless Lamar is consistently throwing wobbly passes, they could’ve went with something else for sure.

Name a better duo than Preseason Lamar Slander and Regular Season Lamar Dominance. 

To all the dumb f*cks out there,... keep it up 👍. Our boy just keeps racking dubs.

7 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

There are multiple factors involved in how all of this happens, and some of it is stuff that I know we're not allowed to get into on this forum... but it's genuinely pathetic. 

I don't think that's the reason behind it. Kyler Murray, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Dwayne Haskins, etc. None of those guys got/get half the noise and detractors Lamar does. 

It's almost like this passive aggressive rage from analysts who were wrong on Jackson pre draft. They can't stand that they missed by so much. It's part that and part NFL meme territory imo. Also, there's a grift element to it. Lamar is a superstar player that has a vulnerability/weakness narrative following him. So content creators and social media addicts take advantage of that duality to farm clicks and hot takes.

On top of it all, the Ravens are a hated team. NFL establishment media and the online community is dominated by fans of teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Pats, Browns, Broncos, 49ers, Packers, Giants, etc. By most the Ravens are seen as an upstart new club that won on the backs of thugs, criminals, goons, and violence- while employing an unapologetic swagger. And in the process of all that winning we slapped around the old guard/popular clubs 'that were supposed to win'. So I think any Ravens QB is going to have that hanging over them as well.

I guess in the end it is messed up and Lamar does deserve better- obviously, but I maintain that it's really just a gift to us when everything is tallied. Everyone likes to compare LJ to the low hanging fruit like Vick, but really he's closer to Brady. In terms of drive/desire to improve, win, and spite the opposition... he's TB12 reborn in Florida with a dose of melanin. I'm happy he's our QB and I'll be even happier when he grabs his first ring, which will happen very soon.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Name a better duo than Preseason Lamar Slander and Regular Season Lamar Dominance. 

To all the dumb f*cks out there,... keep it up 👍. Our boy just keeps racking dubs.

I don't think that's the reason behind it. Kyler Murray, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Dwayne Haskins, etc. None of those guys got/get half the noise and detractors Lamar does. 

Not to get too far into this, but my view on this stuff is that it's really hard to decouple the treatment and evaluation of Lamar as a player and the general dismissiveness of his playing style and running prowess from his identity. I don't think it's the only factor - it's also just as you said that a lot of people got way too caught up in their predraft analysis of him and can't admit defeat - but in some ways those things are linked. The fact is that he's succeeding in the league his way - rather than becoming some pure pocket passer slinging it 40 times a game and not using his legs like people insisted he'd have to learn to do - has really driven a lot of the hate he gets I think. And whether it's unintentional or not, the way that his running prowess is basically belittled or almost treated as a form of 'cheating' by his detractors comes from I think a pretty thorny place. Lamar isn't the only black QB out there, but in some ways he is the MOST archetypal black QB in the league in terms of his general demeanor, his style of play, really everything about him, and some of the criticism he gets is filtered through that lens. 

It's a complicated issue, and it's not all just one thing or the other. But it's hard for me not to notice the way some of Lamar's counterparts are basically lifted up/celebrated for lesser accomplishments... I harp on Baker partly because he's a division rival but I think he's also a clear example of some of the dynamics at play - the way he's gotten to embrace this 'underdog' identity while being the top pick in that draft class, fast-tracked to being a 'face' of the league while Lamar still faces basic questions about his future in the league... it's hard not to notice a double standard at play. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 4

It's died down some, but one of the most disturbing aspects of the Lamar criticism parade was the nature in which the likelihood of him getting seriously injured was being discussed. 

It evolved from "We haven't seen this style of play last in the league" to this almost wish like mantra his detractors would regurgitate. I compare it to when the latest 'Joker' movie came out and how it seemed like the ghouls in the media were trying to will some mass shooter into existence with constant and bizarre pieces on the subject. People want Lamar to get injured just so they can 'be right' or have some "I told you so" moment. It's repulsive. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Is Lamar vaccinated?

Speculation is that he is not, since he was being tested daily for COVID, which only happens for unvaccinated players, and given that he's also refused to say whether he's vaccinated and that it's a personal choice - it kind of leans heavily towards he's not.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Speculation is that he is not, since he was being tested daily for COVID, which only happens for unvaccinated players, and given that he's also refused to say whether he's vaccinated and that it's a personal choice - it kind of leans heavily towards he's not.

5 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

If Lamar's unvaccinated and has set the whole offense back during training camp because of his own stupidity he deserves every ounce of criticism he gets. 

Agree on both

17 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

If Lamar's unvaccinated and has set the whole offense back during training camp because of his own stupidity he deserves every ounce of criticism he gets. 

I think he believed that since he already caught it last year, he had the antibodies and was fine. Idk just a complete guess. Or he's a moron. I'm hoping, really really hoping, it's the former.