Miami Tanking and Draft Lottery

goldfishwars

Draft Lottery  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of a draft lottery in the NFL?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2019 at 02:51 PM

Only time you should tank in the NFL is when you need a QB.  Other then that teams aren't tanking for other positions.  Once you have a young QB you try and win.  MIA will have said young QB next year and try to win again.

It's not nearly as bad as the NBA and I don't view it as a huge problem in the NFL.  I mean outside of MIA how many others teams are trying to lose?  None that I can think of.  In the NBA you can have 6-10 any given season just not even trying.  I mean that's nearly 1/3 of the league, that is why it's an issue.

Edited by Rockice_8

I’d worry about the implementation 

at most I could see maybe some kind of lottery for the top 3, or more advanced parameters used for tie breaks overall. You have analytics on every player, if two teams are 6-10...weighing the collective effectiveness of a roster vs the other could be an interesting way to break ties.

but as it is now is way more straightforward. 

I think the risk you run, and it already happens, is that a bad team drafts a QB early. Then wins the lottery again and trades that pick for a ransom. It would make it harder on the truly bad teams.

21 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Do we have any proof of a team tanking with a successful outcome? 

People accused the 2011 Colts of tanking, and while they did get Luck, it took them 3 years to get to the AFC Championship game but they never reached the Super Bowl and started faltering when Luck started having injury concerns. 

Also we’ve seen teams who have picked in the Top 5-10 year after year not have success. Or even get better (at least right away) 

Colts didn't tank that year. They were just awful. Didn't they almost screw themselves out of Andrew Luck by nearly beating Jacksonville?

56 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Colts didn't tank that year. They were just awful. Didn't they almost screw themselves out of Andrew Luck by nearly beating Jacksonville?

IIRC, they almost screwed themselves by actually beating the Titans first to get their second win.

I think tanking for a game or two is something we’re actually going to see with any regularity.

What the Dolphins seem to be doing (I’m not 100% convinced they are yet), is not something we’re going to see very often. I don’t think we’ve ever seen it before.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

IIRC, they almost screwed themselves by actually beating the Titans first to get their second win.

I think tanking for a game or two is something we’re actually going to see with any regularity.

What the Dolphins seem to be doing (I’m not 100% convinced they are yet), is not something we’re going to see very often. I don’t think we’ve ever seen it before.

I do not think the players or coaches tank. I just can't believe you could go into a team and tell them that they are going to lose  this game to get a better draft pick.   I think the FO decides to tank and gets rid of talent and makes it much harder to win.

• Like 2

It would be interesting if they were to have the Lottery every 5 or 10 years just to shake the league up but not every year. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

If it works, I'm sure a lot of teams will try. They don't seem to be doing anything that's otherworldly.

Miami was stuck in a constant 6-8 win purgatory so they let players walk in FA and traded all of their aging assets, who just so happened to be some of the best players on the team, for draft picks after cleaning the front office out. That hasn't happened before?

2 minutes ago, Ajayii said:

Miami was stuck in a constant 6-8 win purgatory so they let players walk in FA and traded all of their aging assets, who just so happened to be some of the best players on the team, for draft picks after cleaning the front office out. That hasn't happened before?

Openly, and to this degree? No, I don’t think it has.

Example, you don’t see teams trade useful players that they still need right now for future draft picks before the season starts.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I do not think the players or coaches tank. I just can't believe you could go into a team and tell them that they are going to lose  this game to get a better draft pick.   I think the FO decides to tank and gets rid of talent and makes it much harder to win.

Correct. They're not telling the coaches/players to go out there and lose. The front office just got rid of the starting QB, LT, RT, SDE, LB, and LDE from last year so that winning would be less likely.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Openly, and to this degree? No, I don’t think it has.

Example, you don’t see teams trade useful players that they still need right now for future draft picks before the season starts.

I guess they effected me with their thinking. How would Tunsil help team destined to win less than 6 games? Your line of reasoning makes sense if you're competing or close to it. Miami was going to continue to wallow just below .500 if they didn't do something. The owner pressured the coaches into finding a franchise QB so here we are.

12 minutes ago, Ajayii said:

I guess they effected me with their thinking. How would Tunsil help team destined to win less than 6 games? Your line of reasoning makes sense if you're competing or close to it. Miami was going to continue to wallow just below .500 if they didn't do something. The owner pressured the coaches into finding a franchise QB so here we are.

Help as in help them be a better team. When teams trade off players, it’s almost always because they’re superfluous or are in a contract dispute. It’s just something you don’t see, which is why I’m saying that this appears to be a unique case.