Miami Tanking and Draft Lottery

goldfishwars

Draft Lottery  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of a draft lottery in the NFL?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2019 at 02:51 PM

49 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

No. The system doesnt need to be reworked based on one team's blatant tanking during 1 season.

Too many professionals on a team to have everyone buy into intentionally losing.

That and getting a check as long as you can trumps future competitiveness. I can’t see any udfa or roster bubble players ever not giving their all so that their replacements can be brought in. Coaches get fired... in Miami in less then two seasons. I just can’t see a team intentionally tanking. Load up on future resources, sure, every team tries to do that but winning is the most important thing for a team. Going 0-16 and drafting Jamarcus “Purple Dranking Walrus”  Russell doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to win the next season either. 

If the below link is right, the Lolphins are also clearing over 50 million in dead cap this season... hard to be competitive if you’re carrying that kind of dead weight. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins/

Edited by Boltstrikes
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

No. The system doesnt need to be reworked based on one team's blatant tanking during 1 season.

Too many professionals on a team to have everyone buy into intentionally losing.

Yeah, a lottery would be a big overreaction to one game where the Dolphins seemed to tank.

It's difficult to tank in the NFL.  Players and low level coaches would be going against their own interests by tanking, so they wouldn't cooperate with a tanking scheme (we may be seeing that now with the Dolphins players demanding trades).  It may even come back to bite the head coaches and GM, if they destroy their own talent enough to successfully tank, they aren't gonna be a decent team for several years, and I imagine they'll have a tough time winning loyalty from their players after and attracting free agents.  As a result, the higher ups may all lose their jobs afterwards anyway, even if it does work out for them in the end.

Lastly, let's say they're tanking for Tua or Herbert.  Tua could stay on another year, and would be more likely to if the team he went to was tanking and a talentless void.  If the Dolphins are in fact tanking, and if the scheme fails not only to make them into a winning team, but also make them into a winning team with the current regime, then it's likely a very long time before another team tries the same thing.

Just to move the discussion we were having on the News section, 

On 9/9/2019 at 12:35 PM, kramxel said:

Maybe it's a bit of an heated reaction, after just one game into the season, but how much longer will the NFL put up with all this tanking BS?

I doubt everyone is OK with devaluing your product intentionally.

At what point will fans/players/coaches/owners/league start to intervene?

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Outside of a draft lottery which I'm really not a fan of I'm not sure there's anything that would prevent it. Heck, not even a draft lottery would prevent it. The Dolphins aren't really tanking just for the 1st overall pick (although that is probably part of it). They're tanking a year to get out of cap hell while trading for picks towards a full rebuild. The Dolphins would probably be doing the exact same thing even if a draft lottery were in place... assuming they covet Tua, they'd need draft assets to orchestrate a trade up, anyway.

Heck, a draft lottery may just as well incentivize bad teams to trade players to contenders even more because unlike now where the pick you get in exchange is probably going to be late in a round due to that contender finishing highly, their pick is worth slightly more because that pick could be high

1 hour ago, kramxel said:

I'll admit it would be challenging to differentiate from situations caused by cap hell vs plain old tanking for a 1st, especially when trying to make a rule change around that. The current draft format, in particular, is very important to create parity in the league, and the lottery system would only create bigger problems.

Perhaps it's not as easy to define and prevent it, as I first thought, but I think it would be important for both fans and the league.

@TheKillerNacho

52 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Leave it as is. If they lose 28-10 is this thread made? No. Lets see how the season plays out.

Exactly.  They weren't tanking before week 1, they just got shellacked. As for the Lottery, as long as it's not fixed like the NBA, it could be interesting. Unlikely but interesting. 

I hate the NBA draft lottery, I think it’s part of what has led to players having so much control and so little team loyalty. It’s made the overall product less competitive as well. If it goes based off of record, I’d rather a bad team finish the tank job and sacrifice 10-15 games toward the end of the season and be a playoff threat the next season, than for them to not tank and continue to be mediocre for 20 years because they have poor luck with the draft lottery. It’s stupid.

I don’t want any part of that in the NFL. Instead I’ve seen it where my Ravens have finished terribly, selected a Haloti Ngata  or Terrell Suggs and be right back into playoff contention the following season. That high pick felt “earned” just as much as their 32nd ranked selections.

In the NFL you could be a 7-6 team in the playoff race, have a key injury, lose your final 3 games, become 7-9, and end up finishing with the 13th best record. Then off of pure luck, get the #1 pick in a draft lottery. That’s not exciting to me because meanwhile Rod Marinellis Lions or Hugh Jackson’s Browns that NEED that pick to build some hope within the fanbase during the season, constantly get screwed and fall to the #5 pick. Would be an abomination.

• Like 3

I'd rather they didn't go that route.  It's tolerable in the NHL, but it's still very controversial and can lead to some really silly results.  There's seemingly constant talking about reforming the lottery, or getting rid of it altogether.

I think at the end of the day, the kind of "losing culture" it takes to truly and deliberately "tank" a season like the Dolphins appear to be doing...is probably punishment enough.  That's not the thing one player is automatically going to pull you out of.  Hard to just flip a switch and turn around a team like that.  Precisely because nobody worth anything actually wants to play on a team like that (hence the alleged trade requests after 1 game).  So you're truly building from scratch...and you're probably carrying a lot of toxic dead weight in the process too.

You see it in the NHL all the time.  Teams that really "tank" deliberately...often tend to get stuck in that cycle and have a hard time getting out of it, and back to really competing.  I think the NFL already has plenty of that, where there are some teams that are just perennially found near the top of the draft order, and can't seem to really get much traction...despite those top picks.

• Like 1

Absolutely NO to a lottery.  Too many aspects of the game are already in question when it comes to the actual competitive integrity of the game.  Why add another layer by having a lottery?  Can you imagine the outcry if New England traded for a future 1st rounder, which ended up at the bottom of the lottery (team wise) and somehow they got the top pick, especially in a year when Trevor Lawrence type player was eligible?  No matter how honest the draft lottery played out, people would scream "fixed" when their team didn't land the pick.  So why take one more step towards the WWE?

The Dolphins are tanking. But this is a rare occurrence. It seems to happen about once a decade in the NFL. That is just not enough to change a process that works completely fine. This isn’t like basketball where there are only five people on the court and one player can immediately turn a franchise around. Even “franchise QB” prospects often bomb...and even if they do turn out good it doesn’t secure success without a team around them. 

Edited by sammymvpknight

As a Bronco fan I realize that the odds of Denver landing a top 3 pick are always low due to the home field advantage and altitude.  But, that same advantage helps us in playoff races I can't have it both ways.

I'm against a lottery nothing beats having a great front office.  Now, if there were cleaner ways to poach from elite front offices with relating towards draft pick compensation, buyouts universal language. That would help parody more than anything. 

Edited by thebestever6

I personally think that what the Browns did and what it looks like Miami is doing is poor logic. 

If you except that the NFL draft is really a crapshoot it does make sense to get as many picks as possible ( al la Belichick & Parcells style) but to do so by totally depleting your talent does not make sense.  There is no silver bullet in the draft.  Teams win/lose by trading picks and getting FA.  Teams win/lose by sticking with their slot.  Teams win/lose by trading up.  Teams win/lose by trading down.  If you do not have a good FO it really does not matter ( and makes it worst).

Trading your real talent for a chance of getting good talent seems to make the process longer.  So no draft lottery for me.  I think the teams are hurting themselves by trying to tank.

Edited by jebrick