2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

54 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

This is such an odd draft for me. I’m sure it’s almost all personal perception, but doesn’t it always feel like a) the drop off of talent from tier to tier is always right before our pick, and b) that the talent clusters in rounds 2-3 never match up with our needs?

This year, we’re right at the bottom of the ‘potential cornerstone prospect’ tier, and barring a huge slide for Herbert, we’re in line to grab one of the last remaining studs (Herbert sliding could also bring in a lot of interesting trade-down options. Win-win.)

Rounds 2-3 seem to have loads of WR’s, CB’s, and IDL’s. With 4 picks between 46-95, you could easily walk away with 2-3 instant contributors at those positions. Normally I’m a trade-up guy, but I wouldn’t mess with that kind of opportunity unless something REALLY strange fell into my lap. 

Pretty good analysis.

• Like 1

Honestly, one guy I would love to see us bring in is Lynn Bowden from Kentucky. He's such a dynamic weapon if used properly, and can run, pass, and catch. He's electric with the ball, and frankly, finding 5 or so plays a game for him seems like it could really be worth it in today's NFL. I would take him as early as Round 3.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Honestly, one guy I would love to see us bring in is Lynn Bowden from Kentucky. He's such a dynamic weapon if used properly, and can run, pass, and catch. He's electric with the ball, and frankly, finding 5 or so plays a game for him seems like it could really be worth it in today's NFL. I would take him as early as Round 3.

In a perfect world he’s the 2nd WR we take.   Rd 3-4 it’s such a great opp to get high end talent.  It’s so rare to see both RB & WR be loaded at the top tier talent wise but that’s 2020.   I’d love that pick too.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

If Gordon is healthy, and that is a big IF, he’s going to be really good for Denver.  I think it’s clear Denver didn’t want Lindsay in the lead role, which I fully understand.  He’s 180-190 pounds.  Denver will be able to keep both Gordon/Lindsay relatively fresh, but I expect Gordon to be the lead back and I see a guy who rushes for 1200 yards and adds another 500 as a receiver with double digit TDs.  

6 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Got to admit my prospect knowledge isn’t great this year but do people agree with my assessment of team needs?

Key needs: WR, C

Tier 2 needs: OT, ILB

Depth/rotation needs: CB, S, WR, DL

I’d have corner higher. Relying on Bausby/Dawson/Callahan is asking a lot. And Buoye is coming off an average year. 

I also think edge rusher is a depth need. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Got to admit my prospect knowledge isn’t great this year but do people agree with my assessment of team needs?

I'd put OT/ILB as a key need, given that the draft is meant to restock Year 2 starters/depth once you are past Rd1, with the notable exception of RB.

Looking at the draft should be with a 2021+ lens, it's a bonus if there's a year 1 starter from the Rd2+ guys, but it shouldn't be the focus IMO.    

The insane depth of WR/RB and impressive depth of T at the high end and development groups should be mined.    Hopefully MG3's signing doesn't sway Elway from leveraging that sometime after Rd3 starts....

10 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I'd think center is pretty low priority. We're in dire need of a swing OT though.

10 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Everyone seems to like Morris at C, so I’d think a veteran insurance policy makes more sense than a draft pick (unless a guy like Biadasz falls into the 3rd.) An OT with experience on the left side would be great though. We could do better than Bolles in the medium-long term, for sure. 

Corner is a gigantic need. I like Bausby as a 4th CB right now, but he’d be starting on the outside if the season started tomorrow. There’s only one top end guy in the draft, but there’s probably 10 others who could go between picks 15-77. 

I think most people around here know that I’m high on Kenneth Murray, especially in Fangio’s defence. I’ve got ILB and DL as significant medium-long term needs, so if there’s a BPA guy at those spots, don’t hesitate. There’s a scenario where Murray would be my BPA at 15, but it would mean that Herbert/Love were still on the board, so I’d exhaust all possible trade-down’s first. 

11 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

All the comments kind of demonstrate that we are two years away from competing - and this year is all about building the roster.

I agree meaning our FO has to be looking at the 2021 off-season/draft as well and speculate/evaluate those need on a 2yr basis