GDT - Week 5 - A Monday Nighter in the Afternoon?

brooks1957

2 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

I see we have another member of the "you guys sucked last year, so you are always gonna suck" club among us. 

You're playing the figgen 49ers this week, whether you suck or not you will look like you suck on Monday 

2 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

I don't discount the fact this is a road test for us, and the Niners pass rush COULD overcome our offensive line. However, I also think we are getting healthier and have the talent in the skill positions to have a number of damaging quick strike plays.

The quick slant to obj is what I am worried about in this game, but our DL is really freaking tall. Two of our starters are over 6'7 (buckner, armstead), so baker could have problems seeing the field and if all they are using is the quick passes, there might be a few tipped passes. Also, our linebackers are extremely fast and see the field well, so you have to worry about getting undercut in this scenario as well. 

I do expect a back and forth game initially 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Secondarily, "crazy overrated" really depends on what your expectations are.

I don't think that the 49ers are a bad team, but the 3-0 start has gotten them a fair amount of hype. I still think they're the 3rd best team in that division. Whether or not their record will reflect that is another thing, but for the time being, I am not scared about the 49ers.

8-8 or 9-7 would be my guess for SF this season.

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think that the 49ers are a bad team, but the 3-0 start has gotten them a fair amount of hype. I still think they're the 3rd best team in that division. Whether or not their record will reflect that is another thing, but for the time being, I am not scared about the 49ers.

8-8 or 9-7 would be my guess for SF this season.

I could definitely see that (and that range was my prediction). I could see them ahead or behind Seattle, tbh. That's one of those coin flip teams I think is just in the same tier give or take. I don't think seattle is a 10 win team or anything. 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

You're playing the figgen 49ers this week, whether you suck or not you will look like you suck on Monday

We can go at each other backed by facts until the cows come home. It's all B.S. until the whistle blows and the ball is in the air.

That was, and i am being serious here, a really good point about your DL and LBs - certainly issues to be overcome.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

We can go at each other backed by facts until the cows come home. It's all B.S. until the whistle blows and the ball is in the air.

That was, and i am being serious here, a really good point about your DL and LBs - certainly issues to be overcome.

This place is cool, I like how its fun banter but also no one going overboard and also being able to seriously talk football. 

Stay classy, Cleveland. Or is it, stay sassy?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

And that same good coaching staff has had a bye week to game plan for us.

Well if what we did last week is what we do this week game planning against our offense the 1st week of their bye was wasted. Looked like a completely different team with the different game plan.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

This place is cool, I like how its fun banter but also no one going overboard and also being able to seriously talk football. 

Stay classy, Cleveland. Or is it, stay sassy?

Well we have our good and bad. The Ravens don't like us much. Steelers either but not as bad. We do get along with Bengal fans and have been close multiple times joining the teams together to create the Columbus Carp. Usually there is no benefit because one of the two teams always stinks, usually us.

I will say we are better behaved before and after games (usually) than in the heat of the moment.

I know it’s kinda meaningless but I like it that Wilks was able to beat the 49ers Twice last Year. That he has experience going up against a Shanny lead offense. I know the 9ers didn’t have JimmyG but that cards team was pretty bad

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I know it’s kinda meaningless but I like it that Wilks was able to beat the 49ers Twice last Year. That he has experience going up against a Shanny lead offense. I know the 9ers didn’t have JimmyG but that cards team was pretty bad

That was with CJ beathard at QB and we had 6 turnovers in one of the games. That was a complete fluke. Then in the second game the cardinals scored 15 points in the fourth quarter after we were winning 15-3. 

I don't think Wilks really did much to stop our offense, we moved the ball fine, especially in the first game, but we handed both games to them on a silver platter. 

We are a much different team this year. 

27 minutes ago, buno67 said:

They have jimmy g for now.

I hope Garrett doesn’t throw anymore cheap shots WINK WINK

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

That was with CJ beathard at QB and we had 6 turnovers in one of the games. That was a complete fluke. Then in the second game the cardinals scored 15 points in the fourth quarter after we were winning 15-3. 

I don't think Wilks really did much to stop our offense, we moved the ball fine, especially in the first game, but we handed both games to them on a silver platter. 

We are a much different team this year. 

I'm seeing 2 picks and 3 fumbles in that game so 5 turnovers.... which may sound familiar.

I wasn't a fan of the Wilkes hire because I had no idea how much control he had as DC under Rivera or how much he had to do with the Cardinals defense as HC in Arizona. So far so good though, very little frustrations from the fan base so far which is a great sign. I do think he has a better group in Cleveland to work with than in AZ last year so it will be wait and see. My guess would be a shutout (of total yards).