GDT - Week 5 - A Monday Nighter in the Afternoon?

brooks1957

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Me likey!

Maybe my favorite play, a pick 6, in the offing?

Very possible. Every now and again, I have no idea why, but he basically decides what he is going to do with the football before the play even begins. No doubt, no question...doesn't check the defense, doesn't change his mind...he just decides he's throwing it to someone pre snap and there it goes. It leads to some very, very bad looking ints. The one returned in Tampa week one was a good example of that. 

• Like 1

I think this one does come down to to's, penalties, and coaching. I think our DL matches really well for ogunjobi and richardson to crash the outside runs but theirs does too against Baker. 

Kittle could be a headache but the db play has been impressive. Breida is impressive. But JG can be rattled, and if we are able to get pressure with only four we'll have a good chance at a to or two.

One area we need to succeed is callaway or whoever against verrett. If we can get them to send help his way OBJ can be schemed open out of slot or take some risks 1 v 1 sherman. Chubb would benefit as well. 

Above poster brought up a good point about dl height. So i think we focus on runs intermediate play action and screens. Chubb's big game should make our p.a. more effective. Higgins could feast in the middle of the field if he is back. They have good rushers but they dont get their quick unless they blitz. And if they blitz I'm feeling confident our rbs will pick up the lbs well like last week and baker will hit receivers in the middle field.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

That would make sense if you had the talent the rams do at WR and RB, but you don’t. You have JAGs that are scheme dependent.

Also, you are lying to yourself if you don't think the Rams wrs are not scheme dependent as well

Especially Robert woods, that guy is the definition of JAG

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Honestly, I don't know what happens at RB.

Mostert is a special teams ace, so he's going to be active every week. The problem is that he has had fumbling problems throughout his career so I don't personally have a ton of trust in him right now. 

Breida is our best runner. The guy has insane speed and is a perfect fit for the offense. He has really good vision and is a tough runner between the tackles, but he is at his best when he gets to the outside. 

Jeff Wilson JR is our most physically imposing runner and is really good downhill. He has been our goal line back and done well in that role. 

I was not a fan of the coleman signing, but if he's healthy he will be active and so by process of elimination Jeff Wilson Jr would be the one not active on Monday. 

If they replace Wilson with Coleman that’s honestly better for the browns. Wilson is a bulldozer inside the 10.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, N4L said:

Yes, but the familiarity goes both ways. Kyle also can see what you guys ran against the Rams and then come up with ways to beat it. McVay runs a variation of Kyle's offense, so I would imagine Wilks will try to do similar things. That's a disadvantage to the browns this week. 

Lets not argue 'Harbaugh vs Shanahan' Lets argue 'Kitchens vs Shanahan'. Does anyone honestly think the browns have the advantage there? 

We DO play the ravens later this year btw. So this argument will be settled soon enough

Ok kitchens above 500 coach

Kyle below 500 coach

Kitchen wins

• Like 1

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

That would make sense if you had the talent the rams do at WR and RB, but you don’t. You have JAGs that are scheme dependent.

Except for Kittle, I would agree. But Shanahan is quite the schemer, will be great to see the chess match between him and Wilks

11 hours ago, matt27j said:

I think this one does come down to to's, penalties, and coaching. I think our DL matches really well for ogunjobi and richardson to crash the outside runs but theirs does too against Baker. 

I brought this up in the 49er forum and agree. This game could easily just come down to who shoots themselves in the foot the least amount. Both teams are up and coming, but part of the growing pains of getting better is getting past that point where you are hurting yourselves. I've seen both Browns and 49ers shoot themselves in the foot this year in big ways, so that's something both teams will have to get past at some point. 

13 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Largely agree outside of Matt Breida. That guy is legit in any scheme in my opinion. At first, he was just fast. Now he's an actual running back. He has all the raw physical traits, and now he's actually learning how to run with the football a lot. 

That being said, he's frail and needs to be locked at a dozen or so carries a week, which is a shame. Just not a bellcow. Receivers I definitely agree. That's why we rotate all 5 fairly consistently (our #5 receiver still plays about 30% of the offensive snaps, and our #1 only plays a little over 60% of the offensive snaps) because we really don't lose a whole ton going from one to another (they all have their good and bad attributes, which vary, obviously). I've been on the "Goodwin is JAG" bandwagon for years now which wasn't always met with the most positive response, but I do believe that. And he's basically our #1 receiver (though obviously Deebo and Pettis should both have higher ceilings). 

• Like 1

@N4L made a great point - the height of the 49ers DL could be a real problem. The Browns OL was not able to keep the heat off of Baker in week 1 and that led to many passes being batted down by the Titans.

Of course that was three games ago, and it does appear that the OL is starting to gel as a unit. A big game from Chubb goes a long, long way to keeping the DL on their heels. If our OL can secure the proper passing lanes for Baker, our WRs have a breakout game.

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 1