Who gets fired first?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What happens at coaching?

• Freddie
    • Monken
    • Same Time
    • Neither

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Baker with the "Whatever happens happens I don't make those decisions" kiss of death comment in the presser about whether or not coaching changes would be a setback in progress

Freddie might actually be gone.

I don't know now. I was certain he'd be back no matter what.

1o3ou0.gif

• Like 2

Like @Mind Character states. The most important attribute/s of a Head Coach is the ability to install and run a program. I don't want him to have to worry about any kind of play calling. That will just take time away from his main HC duties. A good playbook/plan/style must be dynamic and evolve. That takes time and energy. With a good HC, we may lose our OC/DC every other year, but there are only 31 other potential HC spots that they can move to. If that occurs, they can be replaced.

We're just floundering around in the dark with no idea of where we're going. The impact of having good players in overrated. We need someone to set the focus for everybody. We need somebody to help maintain the focus of everybody. Players and staff need to know what is required of them.

This isn't Dorsey's job. This is the Head Coaches. We need one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

Like @Mind Character states. The most important attribute/s of a Head Coach is the ability to install and run a program. I don't want him to have to worry about any kind of play calling. That will just take time away from his main HC duties. A good playbook/plan/style must be dynamic and evolve. That takes time and energy. With a good HC, we may lose our OC/DC every other year, but there are only 31 other potential HC spots that they can move to. If that occurs, they can be replaced.

We're just floundering around in the dark with no idea of where we're going. The impact of having good players in overrated. We need someone to set the focus for everybody. We need somebody to help maintain the focus of everybody. Players and staff need to know what is required of them.

This isn't Dorsey's job. This is the Head Coaches. We need one.

A good HC also will install discipline, which Kitchens has not on many/any fronts.

See BB.

• Like 3

Usually, a OC-HC can save his job by:

1.) Turning over play-calling to an OC,

2.) Doing a song and dance about how they'll be better at coaching the coaches and the team without focusing on play-calling

3.) Firing a few other staff members and/or scapegoating a few others.

But in this case, what does that really achieve?

Freddie the HC has been worse than Freddie the OC. Terrible in situational football, doesn't understand or implement analytics by deferring, makes emotional decisions and challenges, and his program at its core seems flawed as a habits teaching and next level culture development program.

In the most important game of the year when we're up 6 we go: 

1.) HB Pass, 2.) Punt, --Ravens Score-- 3.) Pass, 4.) Pass, 5.) Pass, --Ravens Score--, 6.) b/c of idiotic decision to receive the ball Ravens get ball after halftime and --Ravens Score--

The Ravens triple up and blow our season away on the back's of Freddie's incompetence. Steve Wilks called a masterful 1st half all destroyed by giving the Ravens 2 consecutive possessions where the defense has to go 2 minute defense prevent getting gashed followed by 1 more drive starting the 2nd half where defense has already been demoralized. After that the defense and offense puckers up.

------

I just don't see how firing Ryan Lindley, elevating Todd Monken, firing Steve Wilks, tweaking a few other positions, and keeping Freddie does anything at all for our program.

I think the Haslam's have to see that Freddie is not the guy as an OC but primarily as a HC.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Usually, a OC-HC can save his job by:

1.) Turning over play-calling to an OC,

2.) Doing a song and dance about how they'll be better at coaching the coaches and the team without focusing on play-calling

3.) Firing a few other staff members and/or scapegoating a few others.

But in this case, what does that really achieve?

Freddie the HC has been worse than Freddie the OC. Terrible in situational football, doesn't understand or implement analytics by deferring, makes emotional decisions and challenges, and his program at its core seems flawed as a habits teaching and next level culture development program.

In the most important game of the year when we're up 6 we go: 

1.) HB Pass, 2.) Punt, --Ravens Score-- 3.) Pass, 4.) Pass, 5.) Pass, --Ravens Score--, 6.) b/c of idiotic decision to receive the ball Ravens get ball after halftime and --Ravens Score--

The Ravens triple up and blow our season away on the back's of Freddie's incompetence. Steve Wilks called a masterful 1st half all destroyed by giving the Ravens 2 consecutive possessions where the defense has to go 2 minute defense prevent getting gashed followed by 1 more drive starting the 2nd half where defense has already been demoralized. After that the defense and offense puckers up.

------

I just don't see how firing Ryan Lindley, elevating Todd Monken, firing Steve Wilks, tweaking a few other positions, and keeping Freddie does anything at all for our program.

I think the Haslam's have to see that Freddie is not the guy as an OC but primarily as a HC.

I get wanting to be aggressive, but he continually goes too far, especially with our offense being hot garbage most of the year.

Not running it and letting the clock run down at the half was frustrated 9 year old playing Madden level dumb, as his need to take the ball to start the game.

He just seems to have these moments, REPEATEDLY, where he’s unable to take the draw and he continues to use “aggression” as his mask for stupidity.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get wanting to be aggressive, but he continually goes too far, especially with our offense being hot garbage most of the year.

Not running it and letting the clock run down at the half was frustrated 9 year old playing Madden level dumb, as his need to take the ball to start the game.

He just seems to have these moments, REPEATEDLY, where he’s unable to take the draw and he continues to use “aggression” as his mask for stupidity.

I’d say it’s because he’s now feeling the pressure, so he’s over complicating things. Maybe that is the main deviation from his play calling last year. He was under much less pressure.

He must see himself in a different light this year. Because he’s head coach, simple is no longer good enough. This would be a pretty natural reaction. He’d never called plays before last year. It’s not like he had a lot of experience to draw from.

Maybe he could get back to his mindset from last year. It can’t be easy to properly access the situation when you’re in so deep. The off-season could do him wonders.

If there’s too much water under the bridge when the players are concerned though, then he won’t be given that opportunity.

• Like 1

Just calling run plays and play-action  in a hurry-up offence would be more effective than what’s currently happening. Run everything out of one or two sets, maybe subbing Hunt with Higgins every now and again. Run a few of each players favourite plays. Like he did last year.

Play this way against the Bengals and see what happens.

Edited by Don Roshi
  • Like 1

There's so many things he could do right, but he always seems to make the worst choice at the worst times.

Loved everything up to the 2 minute. Some quick hitches, sideline throws that both kept the defense guessing and looked like Baker was getting in a rhythm. Good shot to obj. 

Instead of sticking with calculated shots he pressed. Not only that but he goes hb pass at the worst time. Put it in Baker or Chubbs hands.

Basically a shot to Baker's confidence as well as the morale of the defense and team. Baker was off after that and looked to do his own thing instead of trusting the script and working the sidelines.

Both QB and coach may be cases of trying to do more than they have to because of the perception that they are underqualified.  

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Re: Njoku

But sources say Njoku hasn’t run good routes in the games he’s played and that he’s looked rusty in practice after missing 10 games with the wrist injury, which was surgically repaired.

Its from the PD. 

So he’s right where the rest of the team is

• Like 1

We need Andy Dalton, Zac Taylor, and the Bengals to save us from ourselves.

Most of us believe that the way we play against the worst team in the NFL shouldn't have any impact on whether we keep or fire Freddie.

However, NFL owners often look for any reason they can to keep continuity. 

The Bengals have to help force the Haslam's hand. 

I'm rooting for 1.) Browns players to stay healthy, AND 2.) For the Bengals to win and expose Freddie.

The Paul Brown Bengals are the Browns only hope.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

We need Andy Dalton, Zac Taylor, and the Bengals to save us from ourselves.

Most of us believe that the way we play against the worst team in the NFL shouldn't have any impact on whether we keep or fire Freddie.

However, NFL owners often look for any reason they can to keep continuity. 

The Bengals have to help force the Haslam's hand. 

I'm rooting for 1.) Browns players to stay healthy, AND 2.) For the Bengals to win and expose Freddie.

The Paul Brown Bengals are the Browns only hope.

Yeah if it’s the difference between keeping and firing Freddie I’m all for the Bengals beating us this week.

• Like 2