Jets cut G Kelechi Osemele after he elects to have shoulder surgery

RaidersAreOne

On 10/20/2019 at 10:25 AM, MookieMonstah said:

Players always want to play, it’s the doctors job to make the correct medical decision. KD wasn’t even close to 100% and they rushed him back which resulted in his torn Achilles. It’s the same situation, it’s a team doctor doing what’s best for the TEAM not the PLAYER. It’s disgusting.

you dont know that. Thats not even an opinion, its just fact. This is essentially the definition on ignorance. Congrats!

@NJC33 what are your thoughts on the topic?

This is going to make the Jets look really bad. If I was Osemele, I would sue them. He'd probably win for before forced to play and potentially doing further harm to his shoulder. I've done this for a long time. You NEVER assume that a patient is malingering. Do patient's malinger (such as Ramsey)? Yes...but way more often than not they aren't. And it looks REALLY bad when you make that assumption and you end up being wrong.

The Saints made the same mistake a few years ago with Delvin Breaux. It was honestly the biggest embarrassment of Sean Payton's career.

16 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

you dont know that. Thats not even an opinion, its just fact. This is essentially the definition on ignorance. Congrats!

Everyone knows KD was rushed back. A lower “calf” injury, doctors said the injury “couldn’t get worse”. He’s clearly hobbling around in warm ups, they let him play and oh wow... he tore his Achilles.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:39 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@jrry32 at what point would this be medical malpractice by the team doctors? 

On 10/18/2019 at 5:19 PM, jrry32 said:

If the Jets the team are doing something, it wouldn't be. If the doctors themselves are lying to get him to play, it would be a huge problem. But that would mean they are objectively lying, not that it's debatable.

Or if the docs "missed" something to a degree of negligence that falls outside of acceptable practice within the profession, though something that extreme in this case seems unlikely.  I could see an argument that mere underdiagnosis to help clear him for the team would be malpractice, but I doubt there's any case law on point.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Or if the docs "missed" something to a degree of negligence that falls outside of acceptable practice within the profession, though something that extreme in this case seems unlikely.  I could see an argument that mere underdiagnosis to help clear him for the team would be malpractice, but I doubt there's any case law on point.  

Misdiagnosis or undercall of severity?   That latter being a judgment call, no chance IMO.  

I'll defer to the legal guys, but the issue is more the optics - the only MD to clear Osemele was the team MD.   The independent opinions, all 3 - said get surgery now.  It highlights the problem with the system using MD's who are tied to the team to make the call.   Which is what the 2nd opinion is the failsafe for.   That's why the Jets' inaction (at best) / deliberately ignoring or hiding (at worst) the extra opinions is an awful, awful look.   The extra opinions are the failsafe to team-bias in a decision.    

I doubt the team MD is going to get dinged legally, if there's any element of judgment (but again, I'm no legal expert).  But on the flip side, I don't know how anyone on the team (or any prospective FA) has any trust with their medical staff or FO after this, either.   From an org perspective, that's just as damaging, if not more so.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1