Thanksgiving is AWESOME

Shanedorf

My biggest problem with Thanksgiving is that when I'm collecting leftovers to take home, I'm so full and in such a food coma, I do it so halfheartedly that I'm always disappointed with what I decided to bring home with me for the next day. I did not bring enough desserts home last the weekend. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

And the 2020 Thanksgiving season is upon us....

What a difference a year makes. Family zoom meeting tonight to decide IF we are getting together and if so, how are we going to make it safer ?
Early polling suggests, no family get together this year. Typical year is 25-30 people, we're considering a 12 person event
Our crew includes several high-risk individuals and 3 college kids from 3 different universities

What's your plan for this Awesome Holiday in 2020 ? Full speed ahead ? Abbreviated session ? No go ?

5344ec793d4af.image.jpg

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

And the 2020 Thanksgiving season is upon us....

What a difference a year makes. Family zoom meeting tonight to decide IF we are getting together and if so, how are we going to make it safer ?
Early polling suggests, no family get together this year. Typical year is 25-30 people, we're considering a 12 person event
Our crew includes several high-risk individuals and 3 college kids from 3 different universities

What's your plan for this Awesome Holiday in 2020 ? Full speed ahead ? Abbreviated session ? No go ?

5344ec793d4af.image.jpg

Well, we are getting together with my wife's family, which is about 18 people including kids (3 families). That said, all but 6 of us have already had it within the last 90 days, so the risk isn't super high.

We will also be getting together with my family the next day (12 people, 3 families).

My wife and I agreed months ago that we would make exceptions for Thanksgiving and Christmas, while leaving it up to my mom (recovered from breast cancer, 60+) as to whether or not she would be comfortable/want to be there. Aside from her, we don't have any "at risk" family members who haven't already had it (I had to take my wife to the ER three weeks ago...asthma).

My families are both waffling constantly on whether to have Thanksgiving.  We see each other somewhat regularly, so we'll probably throw caution to the wind and have both.  My family's will be small, with just my parents, brother, his girlfriend, and my wife and I.  Wife's family is bigger, but still just her mom, her siblings, and us.

Doing the turkey this year, and did a tester one earlier this month.  We're using an America's Test Kitchen recipe where you cook the legs/thighs/wings separately from the breast.  Good results, but the leg recipe will need some tweaking.

For my wife's family, we're making a pecan pie this year and ordering some smoked turkey.

My mom and sister live in the same neighborhood as I do, so it'll be Thanksgiving at my house. Wife is making a ham, I'm going to fry a turkey, we're all going to laugh at the Texans.

We're aiming to make enough food to feed about 20 people...

• Like 1

I've been around people every day as an essential worker since this thing started.  I haven't gotten to just work from home or stay away from people.  So you best believe I'm going to see family on Thanksgiving if I'm dealing with seeing strangers and acquaintances every other day of the year anyways. 

Going to eat lots of good food.  Can't wait. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

My mom and sister live in the same neighborhood as I do, so it'll be Thanksgiving at my house. Wife is making a ham, I'm going to fry a turkey, we're all going to laugh at the Texans.

We're aiming to make enough food to feed about 20 people...

What time should I get there?

• Like 1