NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

My thing is if teams were interested why not just schedule a normal workout for Kaepernick? And if you’re operating in good faith why have him sign a waiver saying he can’t be sued?

IMO this was them trying to say “hey look we’re not blackballing him, we gave him a chance” and yet they did everything possible to create an issue. From the receivers, to the timing of the workout, to the list, to videotapes, to media restrictions, to the waiver” 

1 hour ago, evilpimp972 said:

Because the NFL tried to hide it to the public? ^^

And if they wanted to do that, he could easily have completed a similar workout like he did yesterday and make free for everyone to see.

I don't buy the excuse.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I watched him throw, it was as expected. If he has nothing to hide, then why make it into a circus like he did?

Why would he have good faith trust in a league that blackballed him? Then created a workout with all sorts of hoops that he needed to jump thru? 

He was literally doing the opposite of hide. He wanted this to be public so the league couldn't easily sweep him under the rug and make baseless claims that he under performed.

If only the league was allowed to record it, it would be extremely easy for them to not sign him and claim that he did poorly, with no video evidence to back kap up. And at that point even if kap were to do another workout that he filmed, the league could easily claim that he looked like trash during their workout with him and suggest that he couldn't perform under the pressure of an actual NFL workout.

The league made this a circus but trying, badly, to throw this thing together as a pr stunt to claim they made good. The notice, the day of the week, the personnel, the waiver, the media coverage were all things the NFL tried to skew, not Kaepernick.  

47 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He does not want to play.  He wants to be a martyr

This. People forget he turned down back-up money because he wanted to start. Right now he's sitting on 60million+ as the face of a Nike campaign based on the idea he's a viable starting QB unjustly denied his spot. If he signs a 5million deal, starts 8 games and plays like crap he's screwed himself out of a huge amount of future earnings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

If only the league was allowed to record it, it would be extremely easy for them to not sign him and claim that he did poorly, with no video evidence to back kap up. And at that point even if kap were to do another workout that he filmed, the league could easily claim that he looked like trash during their workout with him and suggest that he couldn't perform under the pressure of an actual NFL workout.

The league says it was willing to give Kaep's team the raw video of the workout  as well as what would be sent out to teams. Nike would have been allowed to make a commercial out of it.

Even Florio was forced to admit this morning that the waiver wasn't nearly as broad as Kaepernick's team claimed. He frankly had to twist it to even get it to apply to any future claim made against the league and failed to answer the basic question of whether it was the standard agreement or not.

If a multi-billion dollar organization took the time to set up a job interview for me and had people flying in from 25 different states to be there, I would be grateful for the opportunity.  One thing I definitely would NOT do is wear a shirt that insults the entire organization like this one.  If I were a representative of one of the 25 NFL teams who took the time to show up, I would walk out before he even threw a single pass if I saw him wearing this. 

Kaepernick is a buffoon.  He doesn't deserve the privilege of playing in the NFL.

• Like 1

Not sure why people don't understand why he moved the workout. The NFL wouldn't allow media into the workout and the fear was that the NFL was going to edit his workout into only the bad throws to make it look worse. So, they moved it to a public location where everyone was welcome to watch and film it.

Remember, as others have said, the NFL sent out a VERY late notice that this workout was being held on a Saturday instead of the usual Wednesday. Teams send their scouts to colleges on Saturday's and their NFL guys are preparing for the next day's game on Saturday. It was a total sham to begin with.

Kind of hard to argue against Kaepernick when he wants as many people to see his raw workout as possible. How could you possibly argue that him wanting as many people to see the workout as possible means he doesn't want to play? I do think it's strange that no teams are even going the formal route to have a Wednesday workout with him, though. Either way, I'm not sure what the aftermath of this will be. His workout was him proving he didn't get any worse than he was before, but he doesn't look any better, either.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not sure why people don't understand why he moved the workout. The NFL wouldn't allow media into the workout and the fear was that the NFL was going to edit his workout into only the bad throws to make it look worse. So, they moved it to a public location where everyone was welcome to watch and film it.

Because it's not actually true. The NFL promised to give Kaepernick the raw video of the event as well as the copy sent to the 32 teams. No version was going to be released to the public by the NFL. Kaepernick would have been free to do as he pleased with the raw video. Nike was going to be allowed to make their ad.

46 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

If a multi-billion dollar organization took the time to set up a job interview for me and had people flying in from 25 different states to be there, I would be grateful for the opportunity.  One thing I definitely would NOT do is wear a shirt that insults the entire organization like this one.  If I were a representative of one of the 25 NFL teams who took the time to show up, I would walk out before he even threw a single pass if I saw him wearing this. 

Kaepernick is a buffoon.  He doesn't deserve the privilege of playing in the NFL.

I guess that makes it clear he doesn't want to just play football and will continue his social justice campaign.  He has to understand that this distraction is undesirable for teams.  If he doesn't want to just play football at this point, then I don't know why he bothers with this.

I get that the NFL didn't want reporters there, because of course they are worried he would turn it into a circus.  They wanted to control the environment and public messaging.  Really though, they just shouldn't have done this at all.

I also get that the NFL tried to make him sign a strict waiver.  You are dealing with a disgruntled and proven litigious former employee, you have to be careful.

In the end, I just don't understand why the NFL did this.  No matter what happened it would be spun this way and that to make everyone look bad.  

By the way, if I am another player who is unemployed, I am wondering why the NFL hasn't scheduled a work out for me and potentially calling my lawyer.

Edited by offbyone
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Because it's not actually true. The NFL promised to give Kaepernick the raw video of the event as well as the copy sent to the 32 teams. No version was going to be released to the public by the NFL. Kaepernick would have been free to do as he pleased with the raw video. Nike was going to be allowed to make their ad.

And I think one thing we can all agree on is that Kaepernick has zero trust in the NFL to do anything it promises to do.

"Sure, we'll schedule you a workout for all the teams to attend!" Schedules on a Saturday with less than a week notice during college football season.

"Why don't you trust us!?"

• Like 1